Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #16

i run 26-28 front and rear on my supermoto, also seen sealant do wierd things, latex based tire sealant (aka Stans no-tubes sealant and other similar style sealants that use liquid latex) can develop what are coined "Stanimals" in your tire/ tube if used in a tube.... i have not personally experienced this, but others have... that would certainly throw the balance off....

Old 07-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
i run 26-28 front and rear on my supermoto, also seen sealant do wierd things, latex based tire sealant (aka Stans no-tubes sealant and other similar style sealants that use liquid latex) can develop what are coined "Stanimals" in your tire/ tube if used in a tube.... i have not personally experienced this, but others have... that would certainly throw the balance off....

It was doing it before I installed the sealant. I actually installed the sealant to see if it was a tire balance issue. Helped a little bit but it still does it.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #18

You may need to balance the rim and tire assembly then...

Old 07-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #19

At this point I'm thinking there may be more than a tire balance issue. The bouncing seems to be intermittent (doesn't seem to happen on some roads) and seems to get worse after hitting a crack or bump in the road. It'll bounce noticeably bad for a few seconds then it'll become less noticeable after that. Hit a bump again and it'll do the same thing. Looking at my shadow while this is happening I noticed my front tire hopping up and down with the entire front of the bike. The tire itself does not seem to be out of round... I checked it with the tire off the ground...

Old 07-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #20

you would be surprised, on my road bicycle, the first time i took it out after building, i got up to 35 mph on a good down hill, and found out my front wheel was way off balance, because the whole front end was bouncing off the ground a good inch.... that was a bit scary.... balanced it out, has been trouble free all the way up to 48mph since.... thats on a little 23mm wide tire, how much worse could it be on something 3-4" wide....

Old 07-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #21

Fair enough. I'll have to see if I can't find a way to check the balance on my front wheel then.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:05 PM   #22

Aight. So I checked my fork oil level and front wheel balance.

I don't have the money right now for a real tire balancer. I did use two jackstands that were leveled out and with my wheel on the axle bolt. Wheel and tire seemed balanced and looked straight. I don't have the time to get it professionally balanced but I think it looks ok to me.

Next onto the forks. Had about 350-360 ml in the left fork and about 380 in the right fork. Haynes manual says about 400 ml 5w oil should go into the fork. Replaced with about 400 ml BelRay 5w. Set the rebound for 10 clicks in. Test drive and it feels slightly better but is still bouncing a little.

Tried deflating the tire all the way and reinflating. Set the tire to 26 psi front and 28 psi rear. Also set rebound to 16 clicks in total. Test drive again. Made it worse.

Brought rebound back out 9 clicks. Test drive. Felt about the same. Set tires to 30 psi front and rear. Better, feels about the same right after reinstalling the forks.

Checked wheel bearings and they feel tight. Checked steering head bearings and they feel tight. I'm at a loss guys. I think I'm at the point where I'm gonna take both my wheels and get them checked as I don't have any tools to verify it's all straight.

Last edited by SirKng; 07-20-2020 at 04:56 AM.