Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwowzer View Post
What did you use for blacking out your shields? I've been wanting to do that. Was considering sanding them down really well then using flat black BBQ grill paint. Let me know how it holds up!
Used this stuff for all the black. So far rear shield looks great, but it doesn't get that warm. Front one however gets very hot and has some drooping. And smears easily. Definitely recommend a heat rated paint for the front shield.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200525_083742.jpg (84.6 KB, 190 views)

Old 05-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #17

Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KseKermit View Post
Were previous models just decals? Mines stitched in.
The hawks plus probably others used vinyl paint which can be removed with brake cleaner , goo gone , carb cleaner etc . It seems the Brozz seats all have the stitched in "peace sports" that has to be dyed or painted over

I really like the blacked out heat shields on your bike but you have run into the most common problems with spray can paints, ie not durable and the second problem one is chipping and flaking off

So far the best i have found is VHT brake caliper paint However there are still so caveats.

All the high heat paints i have used so far including BBQ paint and high heat engine paints all say "chemical resistant" not proof. So even after following the instructions if you get carb/ brake cleaner any oils or gasoline on the finished product it stains and streaks. Not a huge deal as you can just shoot a touch up coat any time.

So back to the VHT caliper paint (Auto zone, O'Rielys etc). I would start off with a light sand of the chrome to give the paint something to grip too . Then after its painted and dry it needs to go into your oven at home , I don't remember the temp and time but it needs this. If you don't put it in the oven (just over an hour If i remember) it will still stain like all the other stuff, however after the oven baking it seems very durable even to brake fluid.

Just make sure to remove any Rubber pads etc from the pieces that go into the oven

I would be curious if others have found better or more durable products and if so would they mind sharing with the rest of us cheap bastards LOL

Old 05-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KseKermit View Post
Were previous models just decals? Mines stitched in.
Mine was painted on. I have the Motomax. I'm actually glad it was painted

Old 05-27-2020, 05:50 PM   #19

wow, plum crazy, my favorite mopar muscle car color! :-)