Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #1

CO Overlander looking to shed 2 wheels

Hey all, happy to be joining this forum after lurking anonymously for a few weeks!
I've been looking for a toy to hit some real trails on as my daily driver ('07 Mitsu Outlander) gets more delicate in its later years. At my <$2k price point all the used 250cc Yamahas and Hondas in the area are sketchy, so I'm looking to buy a new Chinese bike! I was initially concerned about these bikes' power at 7,000-10,000ft elevation where there's at least 20% power loss, but it seems several members here have had no problem on CO trails which is reassuring!

I'm pretty close to buying a new RPS Hawk DLX, but wanted your opinions first! The Hawk is appealing because it's off-road oriented but still street legal.
My 2 remaining concerns at this point are getting a bike big enough for by body (6'4, 180lbs) and whether to go with EFI or carb. I like the ease of EFI because our temps and altitudes are so variable here in the Rocky Mtns and I don't have any experience with carbs, but it seems the carbed engines are easier to squeeze more power out of with mods. I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether the carbed engines are worth the extra effort, and please feel free to recommend different bikes!

Cheers,
Christian!

Old 05-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

I'm super new to bikes. But from what I now about cars at that elevation and I would imagine in colorado you would see quite an elevation change, I would go EFI. Now that being said I've read on hear, I belive, that people are concerned with the reliability of the EFI when out in the back country. My thoughts on that are that it is a delphi system. I have no experience with bikes that run efi or more specifically delphi but when I see few failures in delphi parts at work. I would be way more at ease if any japanes bikes ran a delphi EFI system but I have no idea. So if you chance it and get the DLX and your out in the back country I would have some contingancies in place, one of those spot rescue buttons maybe. I saw some bush pilots that had a garman device that allowed them to send and receive texts with out cell signal. Something so that you get word out. And don't ride alone until you know how the bike will behave. Its a good idea to never be alone in the back country.

I may look into the garman. I popped a tire thankfully on my truck, way behind a forest service gate, I was allowed to be there, but no cell signal and I had a hell of time getting the spare down. Ended up ok but that garmin would put my wife mind at ease.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINTY DLX View Post
I'm super new to bikes. But from what I now about cars at that elevation and I would imagine in colorado you would see quite an elevation change, I would go EFI. Now that being said I've read on hear, I belive, that people are concerned with the reliability of the EFI when out in the back country.
We did discuss the DLX and the X-Pect being more road bikes than offroad bikes due to their EFI, and how one could possibly be stranded if their was a failure out in the middle of nowhere. According to NZbrakelathes, the DLX's EFI is technically not made by Delphi. There are a few people with the DLX and the X-Pect getting good results, so the EFI thing might not be as much of a concern, but it will take some more time to evaluate. But, yes, the EFI should not be affected by elevation and will compensate for it.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #4

Happy to report I just placed an order for the DLX from q9powersports! Well technically a pre-order, but still!
They had some decent deals going on, so the bike itself was only $1,800 + $60 for liftgate service and shipping insurance. I also opted to spend the extra $75 to extend the electrical warranty for a full year just in case anything dies when it gets wintered. I'll be calling their office when they open tomorrow to ask for an estimated delivery date, but it seems most dealers are estimating mid June. It's going to be a long month!

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to spend that time? Parts to order now so they're here when the bike gets here? I've already got my eye on putting some damper valves in MikesXS Damper Valve (Pr) - Front Forks 77-84

Last edited by Coggeshall; 05-18-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Hyperlink correction

Tags
altitude, colorado, rps hawk