Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #1

Life expectancy/Engine power

Hey guys, thanks for the help with the bogging on my storm, got it cleared up.

So my two questions are:
1) what is the general life expectancy of these bikes with regular maintenance (not counting full rebuild and not abusing the bikes themselves)? Curious if they go 20k plus miles no issues kind of thing

2) when going through the list of mods and upgrades most are doing (carbs, sprockets, exhaust ect) what is the top end for most of these bikes? Is a steady 80mph achievable? Does the acceleration pick up drastically? Or is the bike pretty close to its limits as is. 250 storm

Thanks for all of the info y’all share here!

Old 05-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm250Chris View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the help with the bogging on my storm, got it cleared up.

So my two questions are:
1) what is the general life expectancy of these bikes with regular maintenance (not counting full rebuild and not abusing the bikes themselves)? Curious if they go 20k plus miles no issues kind of thing

2) when going through the list of mods and upgrades most are doing (carbs, sprockets, exhaust ect) what is the top end for most of these bikes? Is a steady 80mph achievable? Does the acceleration pick up drastically? Or is the bike pretty close to its limits as is. 250 storm

Thanks for all of the info y’all share here!
1. Depends a lot on how the bike is used, but a typical CG clone could last tens of thousands of miles in the right circumstances. It's more likely the rest of the bike will start to fall apart before the motor really gives up. At a bare minimum I would be disappointed if I didn't get at least 20-30k miles out of one before it maybe needed a top end refresh, and that would be on a bike that was decently thrashed on. I can think of at least 2 bikes off the top of my head that well surpassed the 30k mile mark without issue that I have seen on this forum.

2. A sustained 80mph is not achievable. 80mph top speed, yes, but to be able to cruise at 80 on a 230cc air cooled single is just outside of the realm of reality. With most of the typical bolt on upgrades and the right sprockets it is possible to have a bike that can achieve a top speed of 70 and cruise at 60 without the throttle being pegged wide open.

With head porting and a 30mm smooth bore carb those higher top speeds are achievable, again with the right gearing. My Hawk can consistently hit 74-75mph for a top speed right at 8000rpm, and I can spend all day long at 60-65mph. With a smaller rear sprocket I could achieve 80, but I don't see the need. These bikes past 70mph are entertaining.... So I chose to trade top speed for better acceleration.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-11-2020, 03:20 PM   #3

At $600 per motor (or less), munch all you want. They'll make more.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
At $600 per motor (or less), munch all you want. They'll make more.
Heck, at $150-200 for a complete top end, why replace the whole motor? lol.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Heck, at $150-200 for a complete top end, why replace the whole motor? lol.
I paid $65 shipped for my complete head from pearce motorsports about 2 months ago. it looked like they took it off an engine that had never ran
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 05-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
I paid $65 shipped for my complete head from pearce motorsports about 2 months ago. it looked like they took it off an engine that had never ran
Complete top end would be the head, cylinder, and piston with new rings.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:52 PM   #7

I got 14,000 miles commuting daily, year round on my TMEC 200 ENDURO. 200cc Zongshen. I bought it new, and 4 months later was involved in an accident. It had issues with frame and whatnot, but the engine ran on and on for the next 20 months until I received my settlement and bought a used 151cc gy6 TGB scooter. I sold the bike to someone who pulled things off, and or dropped it breaking the turn signals, and I took it back after a few months since the guy never paid me and I had the 'supermoto' wheels and tires sold. Prior to that, I put 14,000 miles in 2 years on a TMEC 200 ENDURO I bought used with unknown miles since the speedo never worked. Both bikes' engines still ran at 14k miles.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #8

I’m at 12,000 miles so far. No signs of motor trouble yet, the plastics and rubber gromet everything else are all pretty much cracked and falling apart. Every time it sprinkles the bike bogs out on me for a few days so I’m looking for the correct spark plug wire to run from the plug to all the down in to the sator area case. I’m told mine is stiff and falling apart and might be causing the rain issue lol.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-12-2020, 08:51 AM   #9

I posted a pick of my local reconditioned selling over size pistons
Also cyl and piston set shouldn’t be over $99 at a stab in the dark

Old 05-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #10

I believe it was Mudflap(?) who got 50k out of his balanced Lifan CG?????....and only the oil pump chain was rattling. Still ran.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #11

Yes 53,000 miles on my balance shaft CG engine when the oil pump chain was getting pretty loud. Everything else looked fine and it was running great as always. Still good crosshatching marks in the cylinder so I suspect it would have made it to 100,000 miles. Couldn't find a chain set at the time so I replaced the engine with a non balance shaft version with a gear drive oil pump.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #12

CG strong, ride hard!

Old 05-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #13

Just recalled 2 other minor issues contributing to the noise on the 53,000 mile Lifan CG engine. The splines on the clutch basket were worn where it fits on the transmission input shaft. Replaced complete clutch assembly which cost $38. Also there are 6 rubber cushions inside the balance shaft cush gear that hardened with age. Couldn't find a replacement gear so replaced cushions with some from a similar gear from a different brand engine.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #14

Today i just sold my CG, it was well over the miles you mention there, it ran great. You just to maintain it and replace any parts that wears out, something that happens to every brand with use...

A top end right now cost about 60 usd, there are plenty of parts for the CG...

If you get any of these enduro, a very important thing to do is if you find any little rust spot on your bike, sand it and paint it with undercarriage paint.

The engine per se is the strongest point of these bikes and the paint and rust protection being the weakest part.