Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #16

Checked the kick start lever, it's not rubbing or hitting anything. It's still making a kinda buzzing/vibration sound when riding and accelerating. I cannot get it to make the noise while idling and revving. It sounds like it's coming from the front end or gas tank area.

Anybody else's making a similar noise?

Old 04-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #17

There are nearly a million variables that could cause a noise, even with the same model. If I were you, I'd start looking for things that are loose/rubbing/close to contacting. Especially without a video, there's nothing we can really tell you. Did you have the noise before disassembling the bike for the valve clearance? If not, how much did you disassemble? Look at that first.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #18

I heard the noise since the first time I rode it. When I did the valves, I removed the right side plastics. I've already checked those. I'll put it on the stand and spin the wheels and check things out. Like I said, it only does it when in motion. Not idling or revving while standing still.

Not overly concerned with it, just checking.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #19

Replaced front sprocket with a 17 tooth and adjusted the chain. Not making the sound now. So problem solved.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #20

It seems to run fine. Still makes a kinda weird light buzzing sound when riding and changing gears. It may be the fuel pump or some other electronic device since I can't get it to do it when idling and revving. Or it might just need to break in more. And if feels peppier after changing the valves (which I now need to set again).[/QUOTE]

My Expect also had the mysterious buzzing sound. Finally figured out what it was, on mine anyway. Not sure what you call it, but the straw thingy inside the gas tank was vibrating against the inside wall of the tank. I took a long screw driver, reached it into the tank through the gas cap, and ever so slighty bent the tube away from the tank wall. No more buzzing for me. Hope this helps in your case Bro!

Old 05-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #21

Just realized you figured yours out. I should have read your last post!

Old 03-05-2021, 07:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oincman View Post
After emailing American Lifan about my new Xpect not having the green rim tape (I know it's trivial, but for $2K it should have been as pictured). They responded with a kinda brush me off attitude. But at least they responded.

So I suggested if they want to compete with Japanese manufacturers, then they need to up their game a bit and send the bikes as pictured and as maintenance free as possible.

I changed the oil at 5 miles and checked the valves cause it didn't sound right.

The intake valve was closed and the exhaust was at .001 or less.

I informed Lifan of this and that I set them to Intake .003 and Exhaust .005 (per manual), also suggested they set these properly during build since a lot of local dealers of Honda etc, won't work on these Chinese bikes and prevents problems for those who are not mechanically inclined.

They responded that the engineers have now changed that spec to be .006 on both Intake and Exhaust. And will suggest this to the factory.

It seems to run fine. Still makes a kinda weird light buzzing sound when riding and changing gears. It may be the fuel pump or some other electronic device since I can't get it to do it when idling and revving. Or it might just need to break in more. And if feels peppier after changing the valves (which I now need to set again).
They must have listened and adapted. I just checked my new XPect and they were at .06+mm intake and .08+mm on exhaust. I left them alone and will check again at 600 miles or so.

I kinda expected them to be tight as I am getting what sounds like marbles on hard acceleration, assuming it was detonation due to exhaust valve but no luck. May try a cooler plug and see what happens.

TR

2020 Lifan X-Pect 200efi
2005 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200R

Old 07-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
.06mm is .0025" (roughly). That is the spec I run on my Hawk's intake. .05mm os .002"

As far as the access to manually turn over the motor. On the left side of the bike there is a plug in the middle of the stator cover that has a big flat head slot in it. That is the point you access to put in a socket to turn the crank. On top of that same cover is another plug you remove to line up the TDC Mark of the flywheel with a notch in the threads where the plug is located.

I cheat with my long arms and use the kick starter to turn the motor over to find TDC.
Can I ask what lash value you use for your exhaust valve?

Old 07-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #24

Good idea with the cutting boards. I used some leftover fiberglass for mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210530_164702.jpg (43.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 20210630_153405.jpg (49.2 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 20210630_155642.jpg (37.1 KB, 187 views)

Old 07-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
It seems to run fine. Still makes a kinda weird light buzzing sound when riding and changing gears. It may be the fuel pump or some other electronic device since I can't get it to do it when idling and revving. Or it might just need to break in more. And if feels peppier after changing the valves (which I now need to set again).

My Expect also had the mysterious buzzing sound. Finally figured out what it was, on mine anyway. Not sure what you call it, but the straw thingy inside the gas tank was vibrating against the inside wall of the tank. I took a long screw driver, reached it into the tank through the gas cap, and ever so slighty bent the tube away from the tank wall. No more buzzing for me. Hope this helps in your case Bro!
Thank you so much for posting this. Mine makes the buzzing sound at certain frequencies from the fuel tank area and drives me nuts. I have the tank off now for valve lash adjustment, so I will look for this, too.

Last edited by mototech77; 07-04-2021 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Error