Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #1

Tubeless "conversion"

A video about making rims tubeless.

Has anybody seen this? Has anybody tried this? Found the YouTube on the RX3/RX4 Facebook site.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 04-03-2020, 11:01 PM   #2

Looks reasonable. Only slight hiccup is tube rims are not designed for tubeless tires. The bead locking structure is different. Maybe not as crucial on a super lightweight, low-powered DS, but I don't think I'd do it on a high-power, heavy bike like any street or DS or ADV bike that came with tube rims and tires. Of course that's not any Chinese bike, for now.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #3

Silly engineers, they bothered to develop new rims with different bed shape among others thing when they could have converted standard rims using just scotch tape and some scotch blue....
That video is a nice way to have an accident on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw111 View Post
Looks reasonable. Only slight hiccup is tube rims are not designed for tubeless tires. The bead locking structure is different. Maybe not as crucial on a super lightweight, low-powered DS, but I don't think I'd do it on a high-power, heavy bike like any street or DS or ADV bike that came with tube rims and tires. Of course that's not any Chinese bike, for now.
Are you telling me that 1130cc with 111 hp and 117 na is not high power???

Old 04-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #4

I believe that there are special rims for tubeless, but...

[QUOTE=Wild Dog;332823]Silly engineers, they bothered to develop new rims with different bed shape among others thing when they could have converted standard rims using just scotch tape and some scotch blue....
That video is a nice way to have an accident on the road.

I believe that there are special rims for tubeless, but these are likely for tires that are specified to be "tubeless only".

But, many tubeless tires are specified to be OK to run with tubes. This is the case with my Conti GO! tires. With the tubes the bead sets correctly. I don't see why the bead would not also set correctly if run tubeless.

I think this is why the "conversion" in the YouTube works. Not sure, but I think. It would be good to have some confirmation of this tho.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 04-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
Are you telling me that 1130cc with 111 hp and 117 na is not high power???

The context being on this forum, discussing very low powered Chinese bikes for sale on the Internet. I didn't realize there is an 1130cc Chinese made bike with that power that we can buy on Amazon.

And to answer the question directly, I guess the argument could be made that 111HP from 1130cc isn't really "high power" nowadays. Not when manufacturers regularly get 200+HP from 1000cc on street bikes. Non-Chinese manufacturers, mind you.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw111 View Post
The context being on this forum, discussing very low powered Chinese bikes for sale on the Internet. I didn't realize there is an 1130cc Chinese made bike with that power that we can buy on Amazon.

And to answer the question directly, I guess the argument could be made that 111HP from 1130cc isn't really "high power" nowadays. Not when manufacturers regularly get 200+HP from 1000cc on street bikes. Non-Chinese manufacturers, mind you.
I guess that BMW R1200 is not "high power". Those 200 hp are on sport bikes not on street bikes or adventure bikes.
You can use them on street of course but they are classified as sport bikes...

Anyway this type of conversion seems as dangerous as going dark side...
Sure it may work, but when it fails, please have a go pro on, so you can pay the hospital with the video going viral.