Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #1

Sick 9 year old....Please Help!!!

Model #: LZ125 - 4 - 124cc
Manufacturer: Shandong

Full Disclosure: I am not a mechanic. Everything I know about diagnosing and working on an atv, I’ve learned from this site over the past week.

A real long story short....we bought this atv for our 7 year old son ~2 years ago. A month after buying it, our son got sick and has been in the hospital ever since. He’s finally getting to come on Monday, 4/6/20. During his prolonged stay in the hospital, he’s only asked for 1 thing: he wants to “go trail riding when he gets home.” To that end, once we knew his release date, I started getting his atv ready to ride. Since it hadn’t be ridden in 18+ months, I didn’t expect it to start on my initial attempt. I was right; it was a “dead stick”. I charged the battery for 8-10 hours then added fuel. Immediately after adding the fuel, it started pouring out of the overflow valve on the carburetor. Again, thanks to this site, I was able to diagnose the issue fairly quickly. I removed the carb with the intention of cleaning it. Unfortunately for me, the manufacturer sheared the bolt heads off of the screws they hold the carb together so I ordered a new one. After changing the carb, I went ahead and also replaced the spark plug. After replacing the carb and spark plug and letting the battery charge for an additional 6 hours, I attempted to start it again. Once again, I was unsuccessful but the it did at least try to turn over this time. Even after charging it that long, the battery still isn’t strong enough to do what I need it to do. I am going to buy a new battery today. As I was replacing the carb, I noticed a blue wire that was loose on one end. Pleas remember, I do not know what I’m talking about so if I refer to something incorrectly, please forgive me. From what I can gather, this loose wire is coming out of the CDI along with 4 other wires.

Can anyone tell me where the loose end is supposed to go? To the magneto? If you look at the pics of the wire(s), you’ll see a pink wire that is also coming of the CDI. Unless I’m grossly overlooking it, I do not see any reference(s) to a pink wire on the wiring diagram (see pic). It also says my blue wire, with the loose end, is supposed to be Blue/White. IT’S NOT!!!

Is this wire imperative to the functionality of the atv? If so, where does it attach to? Once I know where it should go, how do I attach it? After replacing the battery and fixing the blue wire, without knowing anymore about it, is there anything else I need to do to the atv in order to have it “rideable” by Monday?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Joshua S. Holloway

Old 04-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #2

Welcome! As soon as you upload the pictures we should be able to help.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Welcome! As soon as you upload the pictures we should be able to help.

My apologies....thx for catching my mistake.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:57 AM   #4

That box looks like the remote start/kill system. The wiring diagram is too small and unclear for me to make out.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #5

I am with Jerry ,I can’t make out the wiring diagram but that’s not the cdi.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
That box looks like the remote start/kill system. The wiring diagram is too small and unclear for me to make out.
Not sure if only uploading one pic will help make it larger but....

Also, the URL for the pic is below:
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1585920395
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2CFC63B0-CBB9-440D-A72C-E9BD5040A827.jpg (16.3 KB, 360 views)

Old 04-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #7

Did you confirm that you have spark?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #8

I still can’t make out the picture unfortunately .

Old 04-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #9

Assuming you have spark ,just wondering if there is fresh gas in the bike or is it from before it was parked ?

Old 04-03-2020, 05:04 PM   #10

blue wire

this blue wire is it hooked to anything?? if not then it is the antenna for the remote... that is the remote box... the main thing here is POOR BATTERY... you need a good battery to crank it... once you can crank it and the kill switch is not on... on th e left hand controller..... then you should have spark... the cdi is the thing that is a 5 wire unit,,, usually shiney on one side.. and the middle black tracer wire is the kill seignal for the spark... you can check it .. test light to positive lead and probe end to wire.. if it lights up... then there is a ground killing the cdi... usually the kill on th e lefy hand controller or a rear tether .. at the back near the tail light... or a newer one... there is red curley pigtail going to the left hand controller area... check this stuff out an d report back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 PIN CDI .jpg (24.4 KB, 290 views)

Old 04-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #11

Jump start it with your car battery

Old 04-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #12

First off, thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to and help someone new to this forum. I apologize for just being able to respond. I am a full time minister and, I don’t know how it is where you are but, for me in north Georgia, COVID-19 has people losing their minds.

Update: today I purchased and installed a new battery. I also bought a charger. I changed the fuse located on the positive battery cable. After installing the new battery, I tried to crank it and it actually tried to turn over. My son will be home on Monday and I hope we are so close to getting this machine running for him.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Assuming you have spark ,just wondering if there is fresh gas in the bike or is it from before it was parked ?
Yes, I drained the tank when he went in the hospital and I will top it off when he comes home.

There are two screws on the carburetor on the opposite side of the fuel filter. What purpose do those screws serve? Isn’t one air flow and the other controls the amount of fuel the carburetor allows to the engine? Which screw does what?

Like I said, I’m a newbie at this.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #14

WOW!!! You are light years smarter than me at this. I’ll try to answer you but please forgive my ignorance if my answers are too elementary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
this blue wire is it hooked to anything?? if not then it is the antenna for the remote... that is the remote box... the main thing here is POOR BATTERY... you need a good battery to crank it... once you can crank it and the kill switch is not on... on th e left hand controller..... then you should have spark... the cdi is the thing that is a 5 wire unit,,, usually shiney on one side.. and the middle black tracer wire is the kill seignal for the spark... you can check it .. test light to positive lead and probe end to wire.. if it lights up... then there is a ground killing the cdi... usually the kill on th e lefy hand controller or a rear tether .. at the back near the tail light... or a newer one... there is red curley pigtail going to the left hand controller area... check this stuff out an d report back
No, the blue wire is only connected on one end. It makes sense that it would be an antenna.

You’re correct about the battery. Once I replaced the old one, it is, at least, trying to start.

I’ve identified and located the black tracer wire coming out of the CDI. I do not have a test light. I borrowed a voltage meter from my neighbor. Will that work? If so, how do I check it?

The switch on the left handle bar is set to “run” and the rear safety switch has the cap on it. In regards to those two safety features, unless there is an issue with the wires themselves, I think I’m good.

How do I increase the amount of fuel the carburetor allows to the engine?

Old 04-03-2020, 11:31 PM   #15

I’m glad to hear your son is going to be coming home. Poor fellah! Let’s see if we can get that ATV going.

1. Have you confirmed whether or not you have spark? This is essential and without it, the bike won’t run. After making sure (1) battery is fully charged, (2) ignition key switch is on, (3) kill switch is on “run”, and any (4) safety features aren’t keeping the ATV from starting, (5) plenty of gas in the tank, (6) fuel petcock, if you have one, is turned on, you need to check for spark. Do you know how to check for spark? If not, here’s a short video to show you how to quickly tell whether or not you have spark: