Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 AM   #1

Inner rotor Kits

Anyone ever tride an inner rotor kit? Are they worth while? Hom much difference do they make. Where is the difference in the powerband? Chime in Kelly. I bet you have one.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #2

CRidin

CRidin ,
are you talking about a Performance Stator or Magneto Kit for those bikes ?
A "Rotor" to me is the the Brake Rotor ?????
I'me lost here ?
If that is what were talking about , "Magnetos" , the two Lifan Race motors have those already installed . From what my suppleir tells me , they provide a stronger charge wave , tuned for the displacement , bore and stroke and the CDI of that motor . Better spark potential , stronger magnets etc . Just a better brain I guess . I am thinking it provides a consistant charge throughout the powerband , especially when your at the higher revolutions . Bruce at Endless Journey Cycles would know more about this than me I am sure . I did put a Rita/Lucas Stator in the Norton and it did give it much better responce than stock . Those nicer Magnetos/Stators are like bolting on a high performance Coil too , it just provides that much better charge than stock . Consistant and strong , and that is what we want so it fires when we want and when we need .
I do know they make a nice little unit for the 125cc bikes , Stator plate unit for these motors that has smaller everything but more charge potential and it also is lighter than a normal Magneto/stator so it spins free and easier , less crankshaft drag too . But those units are the $100 variety and that is not what the Lifans have in them I know that much . I don't race so will probably never need that particular monster modification . I kinda want my motor to last awhile

Cheers, Kelly out

Old 05-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #3

CRidin
You can put an inner rotor ignition system on the 50cc-150cc horizontal Honda Styled engines... BUT if you do you have to make sure that The Clutch on the engine is attached to The Transmission Main Shaft.

If The Clutch is attached to the Crankshaft, and you install an inner rotor ignition system, It will definitely Break The Crankshaft because of the weight difference on each end of the crankshaft. The engines with a flywheel ignition system should be left alone, because the flywheel and clutch balance the crankshaft on either end.

I have seen this happen, I have a customer that built his own engine, he did this and Wahla... Broken Crankshaft! 8O
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #4

CRidin

CRidin,
Told you about him !
That guy is a bundle of "QUALITY" information on these bikes .
I was hoping he would chime in on that one for you . I am just learning about these Horizontals myself . I just got schooled too
I will definately be leaving mine alone 8O
I understand the theory about the less drag and weight on the crankshaft of these inner rotors now , but I wonder if the inner rotor kit provides that much better performance ? I doubt it .

Cheers , Kelly

Thanks Bruce

Old 05-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #5

Kelly
Thanks~
They do make a difference... as long as the clutch for the engine is on the Transmission Main Shaft. You also need to know how to use a degree wheel to set the ignition timing.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 05-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #6

Bruce ROCKS!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #7

I am gonna try one on the 70cc sunl. I have the 125cc in the case it blows. I got a good deal on this stuff so why not. Kelly Ill let you know the difference it makes. We did order the cdi you told me about. I will save it for the 125 I guess. This kit came with everything, cdi,coil,wire harness, everything. I want to see what happens. If it breaks it gives me a reason to try some thing else.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #8

I am afraid that pumping up h.p. on these motors is almost counter productive...The 125cc loncin once broke in and tuned seems that it would rip the rest of the bike apart before ever getting close to WOT...
I know better quality bikes(JAP) that have top end work done only to have
Bottom end go out or clutch burnt shortly thereafter....Having a high horse power engine just moves the stresses onto the remaing bike parts and then the weakest link shows up... build a big engine and you better improve the frame /suspension/chaindrive/ brakes etc...(kinda expensive)
I really like the China bikes but I see the whole unit as a weak link with the motor being the best part already.

On my daughters bike I can see the poly swingarm bushings deform already (building brass bushings) , bearings will need replaced soon (crosing china over to N.A. bearings) and that is just with a 11 year old girl driving it nice and a dad that can be throttle heavy...bike has a tank and a half of fuel through it so far only... :roll:

My point is that if you max the motor out...you should spend some money on better parts for the rest of it or you will be broke down or dead soon.

I am thinking about a better( not bigger) carb, better controls, and stiffer clutch springs... The way the bike runs now I see no need for cdi upgrade. It over powers the suspension as it is.

I have built several race quads since late 80's( for myself and friends) and only after a muffler/intake/jetting did I find any need for aftermarket cdi. That was for hotter fire and remove rev limitter... I think after running these motors and the expense versus power gains that it is just uneconomical to build up these motors...If I wanted a faster pitbike I would install a stock 138cc or 150cc...However it would take a lot of money to mod suspension to handle the extra speed/power.

BTW I sure am getting a lot of laughs over the Magic Box... Seems like some guys think they have happened upon some NEW technology and are the first to use it...lol
:roll:
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 05-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #9

Warrior91

Warrior91 ,

Your right , the magic boxes have been around for eons and eons , but it is new technology to someone who never heard of them , right ?
Nothing wrong with that !
Glad your getting a kick out of peoples new discoveries though , at least your easy to keep humored . 8O

Cheerios, being less cynical is what I am working on in my life . Watch out, its contageous Warrior91

Kelly5150 out

Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #10

CRidin

CRidin, yeh, keep me posted, I am intrigued big time to see just how much difference that will actually make , if any .
I would worry about the frame on the SUNL falling apart with the 125 in there unless you do some strengthening ?
That's why I went ahead a built stronger bikes . I know the suspension on the SUNL will never hold up under the motors I bought , no way .
The stockish motor is great in that platform , but I really would hesitate dumping one of those Lifan's in it , unless you ride really nice and don't jump much and very small ones at that . I honestly don't thiink it could handle the speed that it will be capable of either , let alone the torque .
But, your getting addicted so I am imagining you buying a Coolster soon, or building a bike anyway for the 125 !!! LOL !!!

Whatch out they are VERY contageous fun .

Cheers, out, keep me posted !!!!! Kelly5150

Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #11

Cynical or not, it pains me to see effort and money poured into something that will run like stink ...until it breaks down... and it will whether it is forks sprung/frame broke/ or swingarm falling off/clutch failure/trans pile up..etc, etc, etc.
Kelly 5150 has put enough effort into building a frame that will withstand increased h.p....I am afraid that many members do not!
I can only forsee more broken chinabikes and cranky owners who diss them...whether it is their OWN fault or not.

I would only go so far on a Japanese bike motorwise without frame/susp. mods or it would be money down the drain... I think most members here would be better off getting the running gear right before modding the engine...but I guess I have already learned the hard way and I should let others learn from their own mistakes...
Nuff' said
Warrior91
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #12

I dont intend to jump it at all. My track is a flat track oval. I just put and ride wheelies. This sunl is my wifes bike it seldom sees third gear. This isint a permanant home for the 125. Its just a watch this kind of thing. If it breaks Ill fix it. Im no rookie guys. I will try the cdi when it comes in. But Im goning to use the irk first. When the cdi is here the irk will go in the 125 race motor. Im thinking the 125 may find a home in a z50 or a 50r. The ones the fat old guys ride. Im not old yet but the other part...I got it covered.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #13

CRidin

Hee hee CRidin ,

I like an optomist !
Let her ripp CRidin
Whats the worst it could do, break in half ? So what .
Throw a couple mending plates on it and ride some more .
I like the little saying that a member here has on thier quote that fits most of these bikes and most of our attitudes here , it goes something like this : " I rode, stuff fell off, I picked it up and rode some more " .
I think Warrior91 has it right when he says he learned the hard way , too .
I think thats how we all learn anyway I do stuff all the time I know may not work or hold up on these bikes just because I am hard headed and darn it I am going to do it because it might . Human nature I think that is .
I only worry about catastrophic failure at high speed when I am making Mods of any kind and wether it will kill me if I do what I do to the bike anyway . An inner Rotor kit isn't going to kill you more than likely on that SUNL 70cc , unless your going fast and reckless , but the KIT itself isn't going to kill you , thats for sure . Your more apt to have a catstrophic accident stepping off the porch and breaking your neck from a fall to go to the garage to do the mod anyway .
That is exactly why once I decided to get into pit-bikes after I fell in love with my SUNL 125XT , I decided it was not safe enough for heavy mods , so I built stuff that was certainly strong enough . All the way down to the hardened steel spacers and complete lock washers on almost everything I could put them on . I even used some hardened steel Harley Davidson XLH shock strutt bushing sleeve material for my swingarm spacers between the frame and swingarm bearings on the Carbon Fibre Stealth Death mobile . I want it to last, and to be safe .
I am quite sure you'll do the same on your stuff too CRidin when you go to do the Z50 . You'll need it, but you already know that
That's going to be a ripper !!!!!! You'll need that fat arse you have to keep the speed down , so its all good right ? 8O
I am really glad I am 200 lbs. and 6' tall on my bikes . Oh to be 75 lbs. again and owne one of these bikes would be a hoot !!!

Keep me posted CRidin , I really want to know if those Rotors work like they say . Plus your the only one crazy enough to give it a go ahead reguardless of all the caution signs folks are doling out to you , for free .

Hey, what pipe did you buy anwyay ? And how about some pics of this beast soon ?????? Ummm, prefferably before you break it in half

Cheerios, and of course Fruitloops too , Lucky Charms if you got em , you might need um to stay alive after the upgrade CRidin !!!
Umm, are you letting her be the Guinie Pig , hee hee .

Later, Cheers, Kelly5150 out