Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #1

2018 RX3 low beam

Hi guys, my low beam is not completely off but the light is not bright as before, it is on but very low in intensity, this means I need to replace it or it is something else?
The high bean works fine.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanca View Post
Hi guys, my low beam is not completely off but the light is not bright as before, it is on but very low in intensity, this means I need to replace it or it is something else?
The high bean works fine.

Thanks
That symptom is usually an indicator of a bad ground connection in the circuit. If you have a spare bulb, go ahead and change it to see if it corrects the problem. If changing the bulb gives you the same result as before, I would inspect the connector terminals visually and with a multimeter set to ohms. You might try back-probing the headlight connector with a needle inserted into the ground wire side, then clip a jumper wire to the needle and attached the other end of the jumper wire to a good ground on the bike. Do this with the connector plugged into the headlight and with the light turned on. This should tell you definitively if the problem is with the ground wiring or not. If the headlight is now normal, it is a bad ground; if it is still too dim, then the issue is on the 12V side of the circuit.

If the ground checks out, use the needle to back-probe the 12V side of the headlight connector with the light turned on, and check for an extreme volt drop, which would indicate a high resistance somewhere in the 12V wire before it gets to the headlight bulb. You could have a bad terminal to wire crimp inside the connector. Another possibility would be dirty/poor contacts inside the headlight switch gear.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
That symptom is usually an indicator of a bad ground connection in the circuit. If you have a spare bulb, go ahead and change it to see if it corrects the problem. If changing the bulb gives you the same result as before, I would inspect the connector terminals visually and with a multimeter set to ohms. You might try back-probing the headlight connector with a needle inserted into the ground wire side, then clip a jumper wire to the needle and attached the other end of the jumper wire to a good ground on the bike. Do this with the connector plugged into the headlight and with the light turned on. This should tell you definitively if the problem is with the ground wiring or not. If the headlight is now normal, it is a bad ground; if it is still too dim, then the issue is on the 12V side of the circuit.

If the ground checks out, use the needle to back-probe the 12V side of the headlight connector with the light turned on, and check for an extreme volt drop, which would indicate a high resistance somewhere in the 12V wire before it gets to the headlight bulb. You could have a bad terminal to wire crimp inside the connector. Another possibility would be dirty/poor contacts inside the headlight switch gear.
Thanks so much, will review and try your suggested methods.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #4

Hi WorkingZS I took apart the head lamp to check but seems like the bulb I feel is very low is the one that goes on the round like magnifier below the headlamp.
The actual H4 bulk is only giving me high beam so I believe I will need to change the bulb.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #5

That would be the running/parking light, which is a wedge type 168/194 bulb. It sounds like you just have a burned out low beam element. Note that the RX3 headlight fits a standard HB2/H4/9003 bulb, but the housing cannot handle anything with wattage over 40 watts due to the heat from the bulb melting the reflector. The stock OEM bulb is 35 watts, while most standard 9003 bulbs are 55 watts, which is too much. You might want to consider switching to a LED bulb, instead of putting in another halogen incandescent bulb. The GENSSI Elite LED bulb is still available in two packs on eBay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENSSI-H4-9...ss!44851!US!-1

They are US $65, but you get two, and they mount into the RX3's headlight just fine, while still maintaining the correct light dispersal pattern. They only use around 40 watts, but put out way more lumens than either the OEM bulb or standard 55 watt halogen bulbs. This is the bulb that I use on my own RX3 and I can highly recommend it. You will have to cut out an opening in the back cover of the headlight, due to the LED bulbs passively cooled heatsink needing access to cooling air flow.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #6

Heere is the ChinaRiders thread that covers the GENSSI Elite LED bulb:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=genssi+elite

Old 03-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #7

I put Pathfinder LED in my RX3, and it's perfect. Super bright. Same thing that CSC sells for a lot more. I found it on eBay for about $50.