Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2020, 05:25 PM   #1

Hand caught in chain

I seen post about stupid mistakes people have made when repairing their Hawks. Thought I share my own really stupid experience. This happened over a year ago now. My chain was really dirty and I was too lazy to take it off and clean it properly so I put it on a jack stand and had it idling in first gear. I was using a rag soaked in gasoline to clean the chain while the chain spun. I'd grab the chain and let the chain slide through my hand. Had a moment of clarity "I'm dumb as fuck I could get my hand caught in a chain" and at that exact second I did. The chain snagged the right which jerked my hand into the chain almost lost three fingers what the combination of the rag and my fingers caught in a chain stalled the bike. Had to yell for someone to come squeeze the clutch so move the tire backwards and pull my hand out. I got lucky. The rag help me keep my fingers
Here the pictures below it's a Google photos link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMNhMQwUYbKqFpWb7

Old 02-25-2020, 05:40 PM   #2

I have a saying...

Stop when it hurts...or gets expensive! They usually go “Hand” in hand!

Seriously, glad you are ok! Be careful out there!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 02-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #3

DANG! nightmares!
this would def go viral on reddit.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapdog View Post
DANG! nightmares!
this would def go viral on reddit.
I might have to post it on there sometime and see what people have to say.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
I might have to post it on there sometime and see what people have to say.
prepare for a roast.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #6

I did almost the same thing, but different mechanicals

I work in commercial HVAC and was rotating a large fan by it's belt. My middle fingertip got caught between the belt and the 12" pully.

No one was around and this was before cell phones. I had to bit the bullet and move my finger all the way around. Lucky it was just a little more that 1/8" of the tip.

I did look funny the next day with a big bandage on my middle finger!

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 02-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #7

Are we limiting ourselves to just motorcycle injuries?

2 summers ago I borrowed my neighbors Black & Decker cordless battery powered hedge trimmer

I figured a battery powered hedge trimmer is like a cheap Harbor Freight power washer... it cant do no harm.

Starting getting all "Edward Scissor Hands" making elaborate designs with my hedges.

You know how this movie ends ..... with me having 9.75 fingers now.

Luckily it was mostly like a circumcision and I only "lost the tip"

Old 02-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #8

I hope people share more people share there stories makes me feel better about my dumbass mistake lol

Old 02-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #9

I'm sorry that happened to you, Savageman69. We sometimes forget the way those sprockets can bite.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:08 AM   #10

Hmmmmmm axe in the foot, yea axe in the foot. Worse part is my buddy that made fun of me did the samething 3 years later so i guess it’s a Florida man thing. I also put a drill bit 1/4 inch into my big toe on some American sniper status shit (barefoot Florida dumb shit), caught my long ass hair in a mechanical fan on a truck when checking fuel pressure (that fan could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch) it almost scalped me I had to cut myself free I was stuck to the alternator belt. Almost bit my tounge all the way through skating Doing a back 3 over a prop coffin lol. I got hit up by my drill press once too, that was fun.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:08 AM   #11

Never had any really bad injuries beyond a busted knuckle here, skinned elbow there. I work with really powerful and dangerous machines, so I have had safety 101 drilled into my head for a very long time.

Now, if I was allowed to tell stories of other peoples injuries that I was called to the machine for a shutdown, or disassembly to prevent loss of limb... oh yea.

In fact, one such story was a guy who stuck his hand into a chain driven gearbox. Unlike you, he lost parts of his hand, although they did manage to save most of what was removed.

Then there was a girl who decided to not have her hair tied up that day who got it caught in a hopper shaft that pulled half her scalp off before somebody had the sense to hit the emergency stop. (lots of those buttons EVERYWHERE).

Anyway, hopefully the damage wasn't too permanent.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-01-2020, 11:09 PM   #12

you haven't lived life until you've had to tell your girlfriend to take you off the gore sub-reddit. , safety is the key though for sure ( who doesnt want all their appendages lol).

Old 03-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #13

OK...since others have shared more stories, I have another one!

Back on August 14, 1988 at 7:14AM I was on my twentieth or so up and down an aluminum extension ladder to my roof.

I was trying to fit some wire for a sub-panel in my garage thru 1/2" conduit from the panel on the house up to the mast on the roof. The conduit was a bit small for the wire, and even though I had it lubed up I was having to push up and then go up on the roof and pull...about 1" at a time.

Well, I got my wife up on the roof to do the pulling and was quickly on my way down to do the pushing and jumped off the ladder about 2 rungs up. My wedding ring caught on the un-protected T-section of the lower part of the ladder right when I jumped.

Goodbye ring finger! A friend began introducing me as Lorena Bobbitt's first husband.

(Please note that the injuries on my index finger and knuckle are burns from both the TT250 and RXB150 exhausts! I haven't stopped abusing my hands)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FINGER AUGUST 14 1988.jpg (76.5 KB, 502 views)

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 03-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #14

Almost looks like a permanent shaka hand sign

Old 03-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #15

The Shocker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Almost looks like a permanent shaka hand sign
I had a younger buddy, co-worker, that called me "the shocker". I had no idea what that was...he enjoyed spreading the knick-name with others...and finally told me what it meant.

I don't think I can share it here...but if you don't know already, ask some friends.

For me...I always use it as the Vulcan "live long and prosper" hand sign, that I can't do with my other hand (those two fingers on my right hand act like they are fused together when I try!)

Orion RXB 150XL