Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #1

Lowering my Taotao Tbr7

Hey everyone, I just bought a new Tbr7, and I'm looking for suggestions and "how to's" to lower the over all seat height on my bike. This is also my first motorcycle so specifics and anything you can help me learn I appreciate!

Thanks in advance

Old 01-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #2

One member, Northrider, used a hot knife and cut out a few inches in the foam on her BMS Crp 250 dual-sport (Bashan OEM, similar to Brozz 250 but the BMS comes with 21/18 wheels). Another member also successfully did it to his bike, but I do not recall his make and model, nor his name.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-09-2020, 09:43 PM   #3

They self lower if your a little heavy if not let your fattest friend ride it for a day

Old 01-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #4

Buy a shorter monoshock from Amazon. And use the search feature on here. There's been lots of posts about it.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 01-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #5

Bike definitely sits tall, I'm 5'10" and I tippy toe on that mofo

The rear shock is adjustable with a spanner wrench.. or a chisel and hammer, you can cover the end of the chisel with a few pieces of electrical tape so you don't gash the metal.

Be warned, shock is easier to lower, not so easy to raise.

Lower the front forks , initially I took out the spacers, but it was way too mushy without it.

Even with the aforementioned steps... I find the bike is very tall which I am not a fan of since its my first bike.

Otherwise, I love it.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
One member, Northrider, used a hot knife and cut out a few inches in the foam on her BMS Crp 250 dual-sport (Bashan OEM, similar to Brozz 250 but the BMS comes with 21/18 wheels). Another member also successfully did it to his bike, but I do not recall his make and model, nor his name.
I shaved almost all the foam out of my magician's seat cuz I'm short AF. This mod should only be recommended as a last resort. As now longer rides are agony sometimes. I did a few 80-90 mile group rides last year with a local Harley group. and it was pretty sucky as far as comfort goes.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Bike definitely sits tall, I'm 5'10" and I tippy toe on that mofo

The rear shock is adjustable with a spanner wrench.. or a chisel and hammer, you can cover the end of the chisel with a few pieces of electrical tape so you don't gash the metal.

Be warned, shock is easier to lower, not so easy to raise.

Lower the front forks , initially I took out the spacers, but it was way too mushy without it.

Even with the aforementioned steps... I find the bike is very tall which I am not a fan of since its my first bike.

Otherwise, I love it.
Try changing to a 15 or 25 weight fork oil. Heavier fork oil will help, I am told they ship with 10.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #8

You can easily just slide the fork tubes up a inch or less in the triples,takes about 5 minutes.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:39 AM   #9

BigAl,

I was seeking to do the same quick fix and posted a separate thread, however apparently that is a terrible thing to do in terms of steering.

This thread, other sites, youtube videos and even speaking with other bike owners - they all say that even 10 millimeters (less than half inch) would throw off the steering and design of the bike.

I'm sure people have done this for years, however I just want to call out that all of the research I have done advocate against this.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
BigAl,

I was seeking to do the same quick fix and posted a separate thread, however apparently that is a terrible thing to do in terms of steering.

This thread, other sites, youtube videos and even speaking with other bike owners - they all say that even 10 millimeters (less than half inch) would throw off the steering and design of the bike.

I'm sure people have done this for years, however I just want to call out that all of the research I have done advocate against this.
Unless your a pro racer I doubt you would know any difference as long as you lower the rear the same.If you just do the front you are increasing the trail and it will quicken your steering.Remember we are talking about a cheap old design Chinese motorcycle that is not built to Ducati exacting standards here and will most likely be ridden most of the time under 50MPH..😉😉😉

Old 02-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #11

I cut about 2 inches out of my seat foam (about half) with a sharp utility knife. I used the kind with the snap off disposable blade extended all the way out. Still has plenty of padding, IMO. I still am on my toes, but better than it was. I bought a shorter shock but have yet to install it.

I have a Bashan 250 CRP but is very similar to the other bikes.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Buy a shorter monoshock from Amazon. And use the search feature on here. There's been lots of posts about it.
And don't forget to lower the fork tubes at least half as much the rear. Probably wouldn't mean much in the dirt but it might be an issue cornering at highway speeds. The nice soft cushy seat would be the last place I'd mess with... strictly as a comfort concern.. : )

Old 02-07-2020, 12:17 AM   #13

I recently lowered my YinXiang 250 (similar to tt250). Link http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...217#post325217
Felt great but the rear wheel was hitting the fender... Had to change the wheel to a lower profile (120/80-18)

Old 02-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBs View Post
And don't forget to lower the fork tubes at least half as much the rear. Probably wouldn't mean much in the dirt but it might be an issue cornering at highway speeds. The nice soft cushy seat would be the last place I'd mess with... strictly as a comfort concern.. : )
What makes you think the manufacturer had the rake and trail correct to begin with? You're assuming a Japanese engineer poured over some blueprints to get the proper steering geometry, they didn't. And the stock monoshock is of such poor quality your geometry is changing all the time. My aftermarket monoshock is much stiffer and maintains a more consistent ride height. I lowered the rear of my Hawk 3" and raised the front 1.25". It performs well on any surface and actually feels a little more highway friendly than Jay's stock Hawk.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 02-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
What makes you think the manufacturer had the rake and trail correct to begin with? You're assuming a Japanese engineer poured over some blueprints to get the proper steering geometry, they didn't. And the stock monoshock is of such poor quality your geometry is changing all the time. My aftermarket monoshock is much stiffer and maintains a more consistent ride height. I lowered the rear of my Hawk 3" and raised the front 1.25". It performs well on any surface and actually feels a little more highway friendly than Jay's stock Hawk.

Easy big fella... Apparently some of these bikes have similar frames and are copy cats of the Japanese bikes. Yes, I absolutely believe those engineers have more expertise than you do for example. Have your bike working for you ? Great ! However, that may not work for everyone. My suggestion was simply to keep most of the stock ratios front and rear close to factory settings. From there, anyone is free to experiment as they please.. But you have to have a starting point.. Have a great day !

Tags
taotao 250, taotao tbr7, tbr 250, tbr-7, tbr7