Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #1

BD 125-11 used bike, 300 miles, EXTREME RUST in TANK

Hello,

As the title states I have now discovered something else wrong with the BD 125-11 that I bought.

The tank itself is EXTREMELY rusted. Do you guys have any suggestions for a cost effective and quick method on getting all the rust out of the tank?

Thank you very much.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #2

I've used a product like CLR (mixed with water) with terrific success. I fill the tank to between 1/2 and 3/4, then add a couple of handfuls of stainless steel hardware, like screws and small bolts. I then shake the tank vigorously and leave it sitting on one side for a day. I shake it again and then leave it sitting on the other side. I repeat the process until all interior surfaces have had some contact time. I then dump the liquid down the drain (the label claims it is safe for that) and rinse it well with water. I blast some air into it for a few minutes with the exhaust side of my Shop Vac. I then rinse it out with methyl hydrate to remove the water. Finally, I pour in some liquid WD-40 or Varsol, slosh it around and dump it out to prevent flash rusting.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus685
If

If their is a in line fuel filter replace it!. You'l not be wanting that crud to get into the carb!

Old 01-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #4

Thank you guys for the reply. I'm not a 'handy man' by any means and all of these repairs seemed a bit daunting at first. I'll try out CLR (I think I saw it at Walmart) and go to home depot for the bolts. Thanks again!!

Old 01-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #5

I'd suggest this method: https://www.instructables.com/id/Ele...rcycle-Gas-Ta/, I've successfully used it before.

I don't think that CLR will have the chutzpah to remove much in the way of rust. I'd trust evaporust before CLR.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #6

- Whatever you do, do NOT buy / use those "tank sealers" one brand is called Kreem.

The idea is you piur it in the tank and it covers rust , fills holes, etc thereby fixing the inside of the tank and any rust issues. But what happens is that " may" happen initially but very quickly thereafter whatever tank liner you use, and i have seen them all, starts to discolor, crack, and debond from the tank and crumble into the bottom of the tank causing no end of problems.

Worst case scenario is you can buy a brand new Hellkat gastank which will fit your Model for $45 from partskit.com, but i think either franque or weldandgrinds rust removal methods will work given enough effort .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 01-09-2020, 01:43 AM   #7

The bottom of my gas tank has two hoses coming out of it. One is the main fuel line, and the other is what I assume is fuel return? Since I went with the Chinese mikuni knock off, what should I do with the fuel return line? Should I just plug it and forget?

Old 01-09-2020, 05:20 AM   #8

I am not familiar with this particular model but I have never heard of or seen a fuel return line in a carbed motorbike, and judging by the mention of a mikuni this has a carb not fuel injected right? The second nipple is more than likely either a water drain from the cap lock cavity, or a breather hose which should both be left unobstructed.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #9

I wouldn't plug it, it's probably a vent line.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
I'd suggest this method: https://www.instructables.com/id/Ele...rcycle-Gas-Ta/, I've successfully used it before.

I don't think that CLR will have the chutzpah to remove much in the way of rust. I'd trust evaporust before CLR.
Durtyrice, I've also used the electrolytic method with terrific success, although I've never used it on a tank, only exhaust pipes etc. If you choose to try this method, I encourage you to pick up a cheap charger at a thrift store, so it is expendable. Also, ensure that the charger is plugged into a GFI outlet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyrice View Post
The bottom of my gas tank has two hoses coming out of it. One is the main fuel line, and the other is what I assume is fuel return? Since I went with the Chinese mikuni knock off, what should I do with the fuel return line? Should I just plug it and forget?
Please show us where the two hoses exit the tank.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #12

Pictures

I ended up going with Evaporust because the electrolysis part seemed a bit daunting. It didn't remove ALL of the rust - but it seems good enough. Do you guys think the remaining rust will cause issues? I was only able to afford two gallons of Evaporust and will not be able to purchase another gallon until next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RUST 1.jpg (63.4 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg RUST 2.jpg (97.5 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg back of tank.jpg (86.7 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg 82012409_614508319337955_1343728768216203264_n.jpg (90.6 KB, 283 views)

Old 01-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #13

Two hoses

I believe these are the two hoses that was connected to the bottom of the tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg two hoses.jpg (78.3 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg rawrarawr.jpg (84.5 KB, 312 views)

Last edited by durtyrice; 01-09-2020 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Pictures

Old 01-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #14

No, get it all. The electrolysis isn't hard, and it isn't dangerous, just do it. Also, you can run the evaporust through a coffee filter and keep reusing it. Also, the acetic acid in vinegar works, too. We need pictures of where the hose connects to the tank, not pictures of the hoses themselves.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #15

The two hoses connect to the two nipples at the bottom of the gas tank (posted a pic above) I'm not sure which connects to which though. The hoses connect to that box and does not lead anywhere else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back of tank.jpg (86.7 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by durtyrice; 01-09-2020 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Pictures