Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #1

TaoTao 125cc Dies while riding

Hey all, so I got my project TaoTao ATA125cc ATV running last week, took the car apart and cleaned it, set the idle up a little... seemed to run well up and down the street several times. Took it and my son out this morning and it ran great for about 45 minutes then started to bog down and popping and then while running down along stretch it lost did it again and then just shut off. Wil not start anymore. I even took the carb off and cleaned it again and nothing. I did order a new carb they are cheap and I have no idea who the PO took care of it. Any ideas what to look for or the problem? When you turn it over and give it gas you can sort of hear it want to start,

UPDATE:

Finally got spark, one of the wires on the other end of the spark plug wire broke off, new carb is coming today so fingers crossed it all works out. Just installed the new carb and fired right up but have a runaway throttle and the adjustment screw doesn't change anything. I DID NOT use the spring and throttle cable cap pieces that came with the carb, thinking that may be the problem. Will swap those out tonight and see if that fixes it.

Thanks

Last edited by TaoTaoTyson; 05-12-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

Did you acid dip the carb or just clean the jets? For the $$ I'd just buy a new ebay carb. Even on the better carbs it's hard to adequately clean the entire thing unless you've got a jug of carb dip or an ultrasonic cleaner. If a new carb doesn't work I'd check compression. You could have a broken valve spring or way too tight clearances. Will it fire with starter fluid?

Old 05-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #3

UPDATE:

Finally got spark, one of the wires on the other end of the spark plug wire broke off, new carb is coming today so fingers crossed it all works out. Just installed the new carb and fired right up but have a runaway throttle and the adjustment screw doesn't change anything. I DID NOT use the spring and throttle cable cap pieces that came with the carb, thinking that may be the problem....yep that was the problem. seems to be running good now. Will have the kid try it out tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #4

That's awesome. Glad u got it running. I had a klx110 that wouldn't run no matter what I tried. I even soaked the carb in carb dip and upped the jet sizes. 20 dollar ebay carb was my last resort before pulling the head and it ran awesome immediately after I installed it craziest thing.