Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

Using stock air box with VM22 and manifold?

So this happened.

Is anyone using the airbox with the VM22 clone and manifold?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FS6M3W8

How is it working out?

Old 04-08-2019, 01:39 AM   #2

I was using the stock air box and intake with the vm22, I actually really liked this setup but I had to remove the air box when I changed the fuel tank. I took the air box apart once just to see what was inside. I thought there would be some baffles and/or restrictors in there but there was none. The air comes in thru to intake tube, passed through a nice paper filter and out to the carb, and I believe there is a drain tube in the bottom. with that setup you could splash through water without having to worry about sucking water into the carb. I'm still using the stock intake but with a pod filter.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #3

Nice.

Off hand do you know where does the breather hose for the case connect to? Like where on the case?

Old 04-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #4

I was contemplating the same decision! Stock airbox or pod air filter. On my Hawk 250, I kept the airbox, did the airbox mod and added a K&N air filter.

I noticed that the stock intake manifold on the Hellcat looks restrictive. The intake manifold in the picture has a nice mandrel bend.

So it’s a toss up! You can keep the stock air box, and you get water protection and not having to worry about the air filter falling off, or you can get the added performance with the added maintenance.

With the limited power from the stock 125, I’m opting for the higher performance!

Let us know what you decide to go with!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 04-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot newb View Post
So this happened.

Is anyone using the airbox with the VM22 clone and manifold?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FS6M3W8

How is it working out?

Do you have the Vader or the Hellcat? Do you know what size is the stock carb and jets? and is a the 22mm carb you got a good size for a mostly otherwise stock Vader? What jet sizes are you going with on the vm22 aftermarket carb? Are you happy with the 22 or do you wish you had gone with a different size?

I'm asking because Im about to get a new stock Vader and I have heard from people online posts that just changing the carb, air filter and sprockets can get the bike up close to 70 mph. I think one person even said something like they got +12MPH just changing the carb alone. I think i have also heard of people changing to the 26mm carb BUT they might have also done drastic intake/exhaust upgrades and maybe engine uprades also--

Im not sure what exactly to go with since I will most likely start with just changing the carb and then MAYBE slowly do other mods like adding a UNI filter or drilling the stock airbox--then drilling the exhaust or removing it's guts --THEN I would like a new exhaust that comes setup for performance but those are pretty expensive.

SIGMA6 sells a kit on Ebay for around $40 for the Vader Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boom-Vader-...IAAMXQQQZR1ER-

It includes : Main Jets
Pilot Jet
Needle Adjusters
Nylon Needle Spacers
Slide Spring Modification
Drill Bits for
Slide Hole Modification (optional)
Idle Mixture Modification
Intake Airbox Modification
Exhaust Modification
Tuning Tech
Bike Specs
Carb Schematic
Carb Synchronizer Tool (how to build for $5)
Step by step instructions with photos for ease of installation.
Installation Support - If you need assistance we are there for you.

AND the Sigma6 kit makes a bunch of claims like more torque/HP better throttle response etc. I know it COULD add some increases to the stock or maybe also to aftermarket carb..BUT is it very noticeable or worth it?
Where should I start with my mods--a new carb? or start with the Sigma6 kit on a stock carb and use the exhuast/intake drills?
any info greatly appreciated since I have a ton of info to go on but not a ton of real life experince with small Chinese engines/carbs. Thanks!

"Life's too short not to enjoy it-So's my China Bike!"-Me

Old 04-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaxwell View Post
Do you have the Vader or the Hellcat? Do you know what size is the stock carb and jets? and is a the 22mm carb you got a good size for a mostly otherwise stock Vader? What jet sizes are you going with on the vm22 aftermarket carb? Are you happy with the 22 or do you wish you had gone with a different size?

I'm asking because Im about to get a new stock Vader and I have heard from people online posts that just changing the carb, air filter and sprockets can get the bike up close to 70 mph. I think one person even said something like they got +12MPH just changing the carb alone. I think i have also heard of people changing to the 26mm carb BUT they might have also done drastic intake/exhaust upgrades and maybe engine uprades also--

Im not sure what exactly to go with since I will most likely start with just changing the carb and then MAYBE slowly do other mods like adding a UNI filter or drilling the stock airbox--then drilling the exhaust or removing it's guts --THEN I would like a new exhaust that comes setup for performance but those are pretty expensive.

SIGMA6 sells a kit on Ebay for around $40 for the Vader Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boom-Vader-...IAAMXQQQZR1ER-

It includes : Main Jets
Pilot Jet
Needle Adjusters
Nylon Needle Spacers
Slide Spring Modification
Drill Bits for
Slide Hole Modification (optional)
Idle Mixture Modification
Intake Airbox Modification
Exhaust Modification
Tuning Tech
Bike Specs
Carb Schematic
Carb Synchronizer Tool (how to build for $5)
Step by step instructions with photos for ease of installation.
Installation Support - If you need assistance we are there for you.

AND the Sigma6 kit makes a bunch of claims like more torque/HP better throttle response etc. I know it COULD add some increases to the stock or maybe also to aftermarket carb..BUT is it very noticeable or worth it?
Where should I start with my mods--a new carb? or start with the Sigma6 kit on a stock carb and use the exhuast/intake drills?
any info greatly appreciated since I have a ton of info to go on but not a ton of real life experince with small Chinese engines/carbs. Thanks!
If I'm not mistaken the vm22 is a 26mm carb, through various threads I've read I recall someone saying it is a 26mm carb it's the name that makes people think it isn't, could be wrong. Regardless for the same amount of money you can get a vm22 as that jet kit. I wouldn't do a jet kit because the carbs that come on these bikes don't have serviceable jets. It looks like that kit just has you drill bigger holes in the jets. Sure in theory it works but the accuracy and time it'd take to do it wouldn't be worth it since you can get the clone vm22 for the same price. That's just my 2 cents. That carb that was posted in the other Vader thread you commented on would be a good choice it already comes with a filter too. You'd see a noticeable difference more power and higher top speed, a free flowing exhaust would further increase that.

Mostly depends on the direction you want to go with it, personally I'm on the fence of carb exhaust or just save and do the zs190 swap which is the end goal for me.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #7

I have a Hellcat, jet kits, and (China) VM22 and 26mm intake.

Currently I have 98 main and 38 pilot in there. Usually when you goto the VM22 and an air filter you want to start the main jet at around 110 and adjust from there. The air filter I have is 'rain and splash proof'. It's super restrictive. 100 / 98 main is working great with that. I would have kept the stock airbox but unfortunately familygokarts sold me a defective 2018 refurb as a new 2019. They still haven't done anything to correct it. Anyway, when my project bike arrived from them the carb was just one of the many damaged and defective parts that came on it. Needing something quick, I picked up this kit on Amazon. That kit came with a 95 main and 38 pilot. I'm not sure what the jetting is in the stock carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neltron View Post
... personally I'm on the fence of carb exhaust or just save and do the zs190 swap which is the end goal for me.
Same. I want to do the swap too but the more I go through this POS familygokarts sold me i'm not sure if I should use it as the base for anything. I'm now finding issues with the wiring harness.

Last edited by scoot newb; 04-10-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #8

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by neltron View Post
If I'm not mistaken the vm22 is a 26mm carb, through various threads I've read I recall someone saying it is a 26mm carb it's the name that makes people think it isn't, could be wrong. Regardless for the same amount of money you can get a vm22 as that jet kit. I wouldn't do a jet kit because the carbs that come on these bikes don't have serviceable jets. It looks like that kit just has you drill bigger holes in the jets. Sure in theory it works but the accuracy and time it'd take to do it wouldn't be worth it since you can get the clone vm22 for the same price. That's just my 2 cents. That carb that was posted in the other Vader thread you commented on would be a good choice it already comes with a filter too. You'd see a noticeable difference more power and higher top speed, a free flowing exhaust would further increase that.

Mostly depends on the direction you want to go with it, personally I'm on the fence of carb exhaust or just save and do the zs190 swap which is the end goal for me.

I appreciate the reply. It has been a year since I have looked at carbs, im not too knowledgable and your post got me looking at the VM22 more and what I found when googling VM22 is first result Amazon it mentions 26mm outlet/inlet I think both then GoPowersports.com mentions the Genuine Mikuni VM22 as 22mm...so I kept looking and found an Ebay ad that I think maybe settles it. At the top the ad says Mikuni VM22 26mm intake outlet blah blah then at the bottom "Manifold Outlet Diameter: 26mm (22mm inner) "

So I'm guessing the intake and outlet of the VM22 is 26mm but the Venturi, the narrowest diameter inside is 22mm which is why it is named VM22 not VM26

"Life's too short not to enjoy it-So's my China Bike!"-Me

Old 04-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #9

Yes

Manifold Outlet Diameter: 26mm (22mm inner); Manifold Bolt Eye-Eye: 48mm; Manifold Bolt Diameter: 6.5mm; Air Filter Outlet Diameter: 38mm.