Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Would I be happy with a Hawk?

I sold my last dual sport, a 97 Suzuki DR 350 about 10 years ago. I no longer have any desire to ride on the freeway, or on the road much at all to be honest. I'm looking to ride probably 90% off road and 10% on rural roads between home and the trails.
I don't need tons of power, but I don't want to feel underpowered either. Top speed of 55 would be fine, and I would like to be able to handle some small jumps, stumps, etc. I'm no stranger to wrenching, did it professionally for 20 years so I don't mind doing some basic upgrades and maintenance.
Most Hawk owners seem happy, but how does it compare to my old Suzuki? I would love to hear from owners with experience on some similar Japanese bikes and the Hawk.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

I am 165# and it does not feel underpowered to me. It will not throw a magnificent roostertail when you pop the clutch but it will get up and go. I have never ridden a DR 350 but I have ridden the DRZ 400 and it is a lot more bike. When I think about upgrading i cannot justify it as the hawk does everything i need it to.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #3

Back in the mid-90s, I had a '90 or '91 DR 250s. I swear my friend had it up to 90 mph while I chased him in my 5.0 Capri. Before GPS, but both speedos indicated 90+. The Chinese dual sports have some good torque, and will cruise at 55 stock, but you usually want to swap the stock 56 tooth rear unless you like that kind of gearing/torture (the vibrations are suited as the next wave of information gathering tools since waterboarding is frowned upon). I guess, you COULD change the countersprocket to a 17 and leave the 56 rear, and you should have a good basic streetable off-road bike. My old TMEC 200 enduro came stock with a 17, and since TMEC went with an oddball wheel hub that are/were used on a few Euro-based bikes, the lowest numerical rear sprocket I could find was a 48 that I had to order from England. That 196cc Zongshen OEM engine with 17/48 gearing could get to about 65, maybe 70 mph, but I had little desire to offroad it.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #4

With a properly tuned carb and free flowing exhaust you will be more than happy with the Hawk. As long as you're not going full blown motocross you will be okay.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 04-10-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #5

Out of the crate, you will need to do all of the mods most people do here, along with suspension mods. I have not had great experience with the hawk suspension. Under 200 miles and I have had a front fork seal blow out, and rear shock failure. The bike has been ridden primarily off road (technical single track and pothole filled forest roads). Hoping these failures were manufacturing defects or anomalies. None the less, not in it to deep.

That said, if I had to do it again, I'd go for a used DR200 or XT250. I question how well the Chinese components (stock or otherwise) hold up when ridden in a predominantly offroad environment.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #6

Hawk isn’t good off road really
Better off with PitsterPro xtr or the newer GPX
Hawks tend to bend n buckle if pushed a bit hard off road

Old 04-10-2019, 02:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNguy View Post
I would like to be able to handle some small jumps
I Think the Hawk would suit your needs well with the exception of this.

CAN a Hawk do a small jump? Sure. Will it's thin box tube swing arm, cheap steel rims with thin spokes, and tooth pick front forks survive? That depends... I love my Hawk to death, but it is more of a street bike with moderate dirt bike credentials. Good for rough terrain/trails and dirt roads, but it's suspension isn't really intended to get airborne. A small hop, sure, heck even I have done it, but I wouldn't trust it for more than that. If you have Motocross dreams, definitely look beyond the cheapest offerings of the Chinese world, with exception to maybe the Apollo DB36.

Just my personal opinion based off of what you told me - mostly off road, but with lights for occasional road use (and like a Hawk, not technically road legal but can be registered in some states) where you want something with better off road credentials, then a Pitster Pro XTR 250 LC 21/18 would be a much better weapon of choice.

Yes, it is basically double the price of a Hawk, and getting into used Japanese 250 dirt bike territory, but you do get a lot for your money. Billet triples and hubs with alloy rims and stronger spokes, Fast Ace long travel adjustable suspension front and rear with a progressive link rear swing arm of a much sturdier design.

That would be my bike of choice from the Chinese offerings for a more serious off road dual sport. As much as I love my Hawk, I am also realistic about what it is and what I ask of it.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #8

The CSC is a wee bit better but price is up there too

Old 04-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #9

all the stock hawk needs is the jet changed from a 98 to a 110 and the valve lash checked and your good to go. all the other mods will get you a little more power but its not really needed. it has enough for offroad as is. ive got 3000 on mine so far and been in some rough trails in canada and alaska and nothing broke or bent.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 04-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #10

[QUOTE=NzBrakelathes;305451]Hawk isn’t good off road really
Hawks tend to bend n buckle if pushed a bit hard off road[/QUOTE

Your input is astounding and thanks for your professionalism!

So you own a Hawk right?

Old 04-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #11

I like the looks and specs on the Pitster Pro, but at that price point I would be 2/3 of the way to a new Kawasaki KLX. Or 2 Hawks plus spare parts.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Riggs;305558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Hawk isn’t good off road really
Hawks tend to bend n buckle if pushed a bit hard off road[/QUOTE

Your input is astounding and thanks for your professionalism!

So you own a Hawk right?
I owned a bike like it with USD fork, stuff bent kinda easily
I prefer an off road style seating position bike in China as roads get rough.

I can see and know the quality of Chinese stuff and dear I say it the Hawk is the cheapest and for off road.................... I wouldn't and nore do Chinese folk.
Just saying

Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #13

ive put my hawk thru hell and the only thing hat bent was the shifter when i hit an animal with on the highway at 50. hammer put it right back into place. been fine ever since. you must of gotten a lemon!
2009 johnny pag bar hog

Old 04-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #14

the pitster is better....at a price but so is the new indian ftr 1200! i want one but dont have the 15k. 120 horses of pure fun. thats what i would get.
2009 johnny pag bar hog

Old 04-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #15

The Hawks do just fine off road. They do have weaknesses, but they can handle most things you can throw at them. The only thing I make an exception for is jumps, and even then there are exceptions. A small hop over the crest of a hill or a drop down off of a log is no biggie as long as you have the fork oil at the right levels and your preload/rider sag set in the forks. The stock rear shock will bottom out if you are a heavier guy or have the bike loaded down, and there is no preload adjustment for it which is the main issue, but otherwise works rather well.

When I say it won't handle jumps well, I am talking a couple of feet or more in the air. I have seen the results of a Hawk that got 4ft off the ground - both rims bent and the rear swing arm was bent pretty good too. The wheels can be resolved with upgrading to better rims easy enough, which leaves the biggest weak link to be the rear swing arm. If I were looking to really hammer on a Hawk off road I would probably "plate" the rear swing arm to reinforce it with some 11-14ga steel in key areas.

Just my 2 cents.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124