Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #1

Unusual Gas Tank Leak - 2015 Hawk

Hey y'all - just an FYI thread in case something similar pops up for someone else.

My garage has been smelling like gasoline and I had a prior leak with my gas tank, so I thought that had reoccurred and I finally got around to taking a look. Didn't see anything obvious at first, and the previous fix was still holding. Checked the carb, nothing dripping there. Finally pulled the seat and saw some seepage near the mounting point of the tank.

This is actually a metal fatigue failure - it's right where the tank capacity starts on the flange, so the weight of the fuel and all the vibration must of been causing flexing over time and it finally cracked. It's hard to tell from this picture, but if you were able to look up close, you'd be able to see the hairline crack.

Looks like I have some more sanding and JB Weld time ahead of me. If you smell gas, this is another place to check for the leak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas_leak.jpg (95.6 KB, 366 views)

Old 03-15-2019, 12:34 AM   #2

Sucks that it happened, but great post! I think this is the first instance of this type of failure I have seen.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #3

Looks like you are missing the rubber mount at where the tank bolts down

Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #4

I remember a Magician leaking once before. I'm with NZ on the rubber mounts. Is it missing???

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Looks like you are missing the rubber mount at where the tank bolts down
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I remember a Magician leaking once before. I'm with NZ on the rubber mounts. Is it missing???
One of my first thoughts too, but it's there underneath the bolt. Now being Chinese rubber, it's more like having a piece of wood there, but it is there. There's just a rubber washer under the metal washer on the top side.

I"m prepping and hitting it with some JB Weld today. I guess we'll see how it does - with the location of the seam and the flexing, I'm not sure it's going to hold up, but I'll try that first before finding a place to put a weld across it.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #6

How about Redkote tank sealer?

Old 03-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

I used Steelstik on the crack around the petcock pipe, and it held for a year.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #8

Thanks for all the advice on adhesives - unfortunately, I grabbed what I had in the cupboard yesterday and went after it before seeing these suggestions. It worked for me fixing a leak at the valve previously, and that's still holding, so hopefully it'll do OK.

Name:  sanded.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  52.0 KB
Name:  goop.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  42.6 KB

I need to also thank NzBrakelathes and 2LZ - I ended up looking closer at the rubber mount and there's actually a bigger issue there. Due to the welding of the seat retention bracket onto the frame and the length of the mounting flange on the tank itself, the tank ends up making direct contact with the frame, regardless of the rubber mount being there. I ended up finding a piece of rubber flooring, so I cut off a piece and added it under the rubber mount to provide a little more clearance for the tank flange. Now it actually sits about 1-2mm above the frame.

Name:  additional_rubber.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  98.8 KB

It cleaned up pretty nice with the repair and additional clearance. I touched up the paint, bolted it back together, and took it out for 20 miles - I'll see how it holds up and update at some point.

Name:  finished_repair.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  102.3 KB