Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #1

Impulse bought DF50RTX, mistake?

Ok so I think I may have purchased a rare animal and am wondering if anyone has encountered a dong fang 50 they were happy with �� https://www.redfoxpowersports.com/50...p-speed-45-mph

Old 12-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #2

Found a video from the dealer!

Old 12-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #3

Not familiar with that particular model. It looks quite retro, and brings back memories of me at 10 years old lusting after a moped and my parents adamantly against the idea, lol.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #4

Yeah the video sold it for me, I was looking for cheap transportation to work and don't have an extra parking spot, hence a scooter. I will eventually buy the hawk 250 but I don't have the time to take the course etc so was looking for a 50 on the quicker, lighter end.
I like the classic look, reminds me of a moped my friend and I killed due to over modification and lack of maitnance. Got shipping confirmation today, tracking number not working yet but it's early.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #5

Honda Cub copy without the fairings. Shouldn't have any problems with it. It looks pretty zippy in the video.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 12-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #6

I'm diggin' those rims; they look like 72 spoke. I'm betting that a 125 pit bike motor would drop right into that frame.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #7

cool bike i hope you like it. digging the retro style of it be sure to lock tight the bolts and replace the ones that have higher stress on them. look forward to your feed back on it when you get it!
18 csc tt250 / foam filter mod, amazon exhaust, mikunki carb, 47tooth sprocket, o ring chain, stereo system, amsoil oil, honda 10w fork oil, tusk bars and brush guards.... more to come

Old 12-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #8

I wish I knew you were looking at a moped-like vehicle in this class; I would have suggested looking into this new bike to hit our shores from what seems like a new company, Amstar

http://www.amstarmotor.com/index.php...&a=show&id=600

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #9

Yeah that's a pretty decent lookin machine @culcune, but I like the look of the one I went with a little more. The rims look more sturdy to me, even if they are made out of recycled grills. Also, I like the contrast of a bit of fake chrome more than the matte black full on. Thanks for the input people, drop off is Wednesday getting excited.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I wish I knew you were looking at a moped-like vehicle in this class; I would have suggested looking into this new bike to hit our shores from what seems like a new company, Amstar

http://www.amstarmotor.com/index.php...&a=show&id=600
I've been eyeballing that one for awhile now. It looks like a custom cub and should be easy to drop in any of the horizontal singles up to the ZS190.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 12-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm diggin' those rims; they look like 72 spoke. I'm betting that a 125 pit bike motor would drop right into that frame.
Man you got me thinking already. Bike has a rear foot brake, on the right. Would a manual 4 speed be the way to go or automatic? If I went this route I would have to convert the front brake to disc I think. Also wondering if the rear sprocket and chain would need upsizing?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #12

I remember driving through Apopka on my way to the Daytona 500 back in the mid 80s. Watched a great sunset over the lake. Cool town.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apopka Hawk View Post
Man you got me thinking already. Bike has a rear foot brake, on the right. Would a manual 4 speed be the way to go or automatic? If I went this route I would have to convert the front brake to disc I think. Also wondering if the rear sprocket and chain would need upsizing?
That's funny; I've been thinking about it as well.
I'd use a fully manual 125, since you'd be able to use engine braking, rather than just drum brakes. No, I wouldn't swap to discs at this time; I'd ensure that the drums are optimized and try it (carefully) first.

From the pics, it looks like the footpegs and kickstand mount to the bottom of the engine, just like all of the horizontal Honda clones. The shifter that comes with the 125 is likely to work perfectly with those footpegs. What size chain is on there now? When my son had a 125 pit bike, I actually changed from a 428 to a 420 chain, so I could have better sprocket selection. Even the 420 chain was plenty strong enough for that motor. If yours is a 428, you have nothing to worry about; that's what's on most of the 200/223 engines around here. You can certainly upgrade to a 428H (for heavy duty) if you wish.

Keep your eyes peeled on CL for a used 125 fully manual pit bike. That would be the most economical way to get a donor. With any luck, you'll be able to swap your existing stator over to the new motor to retain all of the existing electrics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #14

She got here mostly unscathed in my second color choice, red, and I kinda dig it. One of the rear turn signals is cracked, and the rear rim is way out of alignment. Other than that seems like it is good to go. Gonna head to the store and get some fluids so I can take her around the block. The R&L driver even rolled it up the driveway into the garage for my wife who received it as it was starting to sprinkle.

@weldangrind
I took a peek at cl for used pitbikes and got sticker shock. Alas, a web search brings an engine w 4 speed for 210 bucks with free shipping. Any reason not to go new other than the clutch lever? Existing controls look like it will all work flawlessly one done. Gotta learn how to identify this chain, looks beefy, but low quality. Definitely going to change that out sooner than later.
Ok time is a wastin gotta get them fluids.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #15

That's a decent price for a new 125; are you saying it is not fully manual?
Here's the answer to your chain question: https://allmoto.ie/site/motorcycle-chain/