Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

Storm 250 Speedometer

Wondering what is the best aftermarket speedometer is. I have a new Storm 250.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbear View Post
Wondering what is the best aftermarket speedometer is. I have a new Storm 250.

Universal Samdo speedometer is the one I have an I'm putting it on soon! Its awesome and I got the idea from guys on here, amazon it. Its about $40 , takes like 1-2 hours to do the wiring and modifications. Cravin on here or Project next on youtube is doing a video on his soon.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

I had to put the new carburator in front of the speedo, i wouldn't be able test it out until I'm running.

What I plan on doing is purchasing the speedo on Thursday because that's payday and the earliest date my carburator comes from China(12 to 20 days shipping).

I'll work on both at the same time but put the speedo vlog up first for you guys.

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:57 AM   #4

Samdo Speedometer works for Bashan Storm 250

I just put this Samdo Universal 5 Gear 7 Backlight LCD Motorcycle Speedometer Odometer Gauge 13000 RPM on my Bashan Storm 250. It took me a full day to fix the mount, figure out the wiring, install magnets inside the old speedometer hub, and tap the hub for the magnet sensor. It all works.

I used the existing mount to keep holding the headlight and front blinkers. I just cut it straight across to make room for the new speedometer and carved out a notch for the wires and painted the cut edges. I also used the ends of two hinges as supports from the handlebars to the new speedometer and painted those black.

I drilled two holes, one for each neodymium magnet in the wheel hub. The stock magnets are too weak for this kind of installation. I glued them in place with JB weld and put some tin I cut and rounded behind them to help hold them in place. Drilling holes and using JB weld was kind of messy and I have my fingers crossed it holds. Hopefully if you try this you come up with a better way to hold the magnets in place.

The magnet sensor only registers one side of each magnet to work. I placed the side that registers towards the axle unfortunately, but miraculously the installation worked once I screwed the sensor in further than the picture. I advise against locktite in case you end up having to readjust the sensor depth in the threads to get the magnets to register like I did. I will probably seal mine on the outside with clear silicone after everything keeps working through a break in period.

I tapped the old speedometer hub with a 12mm x 1 tap. Make sure the tap threads mesh with your speed sensor threads before tapping since another post said his sensor threads needed a 12mm x 1.25 tap.

I ran a wire spliced into the blue with white stripe wire by the battery to the speedometer for my rpms.

At first I grounded my fuel wire to show always full instead of blinking annoyingly like others said they did in their posts. I discovered later this was causing my odometer not to work. I emailed Samdo about the odometer not working and they replied in a matter of hours and suggested resetting the odometer by disconnecting power to the speedometer for five minutes. This didn't work until I disconnected my grounded fuel wire and repeated the reset. I'll have to put a resister inline on the fuel wire to simulate a full or half full tank. The instructions give the ohm range for fuel.

I have no idea about the math formula in the instructions, but "18" gave me the best gps speed match (using my gps enabled smart phone on the handlebars to check with). My configuration numbers were "018 12". When I go 50 mph, my speedometer shows 49. Lower speeds are right on, so that's close enough for me.

I bought a gear switch indicator from CSC motorcycles for the TT250 that might fit the Bashan Storm. I'll see if I can install that soon.

Thanks to other posts for guidance and ideas to get this to work.

Samdo has developed a great product at a great price and has excellent customer support.

Last edited by KevinBerry; 10-27-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add more info

Old 10-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #5

I would love to see how the magnets fit into the old speedo mount. Putting it on is a bit of work but worth it.

here is my install.

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #6

I got one of the Samdo's from Amazon. I haven't gotten up the guts to install just yet.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #7

I've decided that a GPS speedometer is way easier and doesn't require any wires other than power.