Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc-mustang
Careful with silicone in or around fuel or fuel vapors. It will turn to a goeey mess, and get into the carb and intake. You might want to think about going to the Autoparts store and buy a .99 vacuum plug.

I doubt you will see any inprovement with it, minus the weight. This is a simple AIR injection system. When the throttle is closed, high vacuum over 20" will pull the AIR valve open, allowing fresh air into the exhaust.

You might notice popping out the exhaust now, as you will likely have high HC in the exhaust.

I am no enviro-hippie, just an ASE Master Tech who once apon a time did emission testing in CA.. I pulled the emissions crap off mine, but used a vacuum plug, and CNC'd a plate to cover the hole where the old tube was.

USMC-mustang,

Thanks for the heads up on the silicon,, I just wanted a good seal and this is what I had laying around,. will try to find a vacuum plug tomorrow. As for the other side, I don't have access to a CNC machine and couldn't find a piece of steel that was the right thickness in the shop, found a piece at a friends though and gonna redo it right tomorrow.

You said,

" You might notice popping out the exhaust now, as you will likely have high HC in the exhaust."

What is the HC you are referring to??

Thanks again for the heads up,

Wolf

Also blue silicone is for water applications like thermostat gaskets, Not reALLY meant for high heat applications.
Correct. 300' f to be exact. Now if you use 1B or 2B it would be fine for fuel usage, and have a heat rating to over 350' F. I doubt the motor would ever see temps over 250, and if you did, I would be concerned about oil temps.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 AM   #17

If you take the CAT off, take it to a recycler unless you want to keep it for spare parts... Platinum is selling for over $2000 an ounce... I have been hearing of people cutting CATS off pickups while they are parked in a shopping lot... CRAZY STUFF>..

Ken

Old 04-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #18

:idea:
I paid 950 for my bike. I wonder how many ounces of platinum is in the cat :?:

Old 04-16-2008, 02:32 AM   #19

TTT bumping my own thread sorry.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainwolf
TTT bumping my own thread sorry.

No problem. Told you that the stuff wasnt going to break out. Its some really hard stuff. Not your typical cat. No idea how well it worked, but it is enough to let the Viva VX200SX to get a CARB approval for road useage. I just junked the headpipe, and installed a new tailpipe and the old silencer of my Yammy RZV500R. You went the hard way. Geez a XR200 headpipe is 15-25 bucks on Ebay.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 AM   #21

usmc-mustang,

I hate buying stuff off of Ebay, hate waiting for stuff to arrive. Besides this was a 30 minute project from start to finish. Actually came out easier than I thought it would after I saw what was in there. Well off to work. Pray for some sunshine, I'm tired of winter.

Wolf

Old 04-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #22

Wolf,
Wow!! I had no idea what was in there. I will definitely be going this route to free up some hp.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #23

Wire welder to stitch it back up?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Wire welder to stitch it back up?
The metal is so thin it is tough to weld it without burning holes.

Allen

Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #25

I have a friend that if I was to make a statement like " it can't be done" He will do to proove me wrong :roll:

Old 04-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #26

Difficult, but not impossible.

I welded the seams on my muffler back up, but it wasn't easy. My welder has like 5 settings for heat so it is either 1 or 2 no 1.5 selection available.

The speed has alittle more adjustability.

I am also not a pro welder.

I managed, but it is ugly.

Allen

Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #27

Hello Everybody,

Yes I used a MIG to weld it back up, the trick I have found is to just tack it a little at a time, make a tack and move a 1/4 inch and make another tack, do that all the way around and let it cool for a bit and start over. The metal is so thin that it gets hot really quick, I have heard body shop guys talk about this but never experienced it myself because I don't weld thin stuff.

NOW lets talk about improvement of the power, WOW MAN!! GO BABY GO!! This was the exhaust mod to do. I did the back end of the pipe and noticed nothing, this made a REAL difference. Just like a straight pipe now. Backfires on the decel a bit but I don't care, sounds good, feels good and I like it!! Worth the 30 minutes to do this. Hope this helps everyone wanting to do this.

Wolf

Old 04-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #28

dudes...it never ceases to amaze me how you guys weld stuff, etc. I wish to high heaven I'd have stayed in school and learned some welding or at least had a mentor to teach it to me. When I was younger this sort of thing didn't spark my interest but now as I am fast approaching 40, I find myself wanting to learn. But, since buying this bike, I have learned a lot. Like someone said before on here and I cannot remember who, you don't just buy a bike when you get a china bike, you get a motorcycle repair course.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #29

I bought a welder about 8 or 10 years ago. I'm still learning.

Learning is the No. 1 reason I have enjoyed this forum so much. Thanks to Frostbite for provideing it and the members for contributing.

The cat removal is now on the list. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Difficult, but not impossible.

I welded the seams on my muffler back up, but it wasn't easy. My welder has like 5 settings for heat so it is either 1 or 2 no 1.5 selection available.

The speed has alittle more adjustability.

I am also not a pro welder.

I managed, but it is ugly.

Allen
The cat headpipe appeared to be thicker than the non-cat head pipe. Didnt actually cut and measure one but you can see it in the flange. Guessing it is to take the extra heat that the cat will generate.

I tossed off my cat head pipe and welded on the the new one to the extension pipe. Man I hope I never have to take it off.