Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2018, 07:01 AM   #16

The first time I adjusted was in inches. That was before initial start. Started and very loud tapping. Skimmed through manual s seen it said milimeteres. So I readjusted. The gap in nilimeteres and almost half seize smaller than in inches. Started it and sounded exactly the same. So I readjusted again think I I had an . Started again and Sri same result. I'm going to set gap even smaller tonight and see what happens.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:03 AM   #17

Sorry for all typos. Phone is a pile!

Old 09-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
I adjusted the gap (first time through) on a cold engine and they were tapping way too loud (and the engine wouldn't rev above 6000 RPM's or reach speeds much beyond 50mph). Took the head off a day later and the gaps had nearly doubled from what I had set with the feeler gauge. I did the 2nd adjustment with the engine slightly warm, set them to 0.004" intake and 0.005" exhaust. Started the engine up and it ran great, much quieter but valve tapping was still audible. Top speeds were back over 60mph and engine performance was much better. Not sure if I had adjusted incorrectly the first time...found TDC on the flywheel the same way both times using the kick starter. Either way the valve gap should be checked when the oil is changed to make sure they're not out of whack.
Remember that it is easy to mistake the wrong TDC for the right one when adjusting the valves. On one of the TDC's you have a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong. If you remember that the bike was running "OK" when you assembled it, perhaps it is obvious that they cannot be that far out of adjustment. So what I suggest is that, when you have it on TDC, if you cannot get an .002 inch feeler guage between either valve and rocker, back them both off 1 turn and check them again. If you can get that feeler guage to slide freely in on both valves, you are on the right stroke. If it won't go, or only with great difficulty won't go on the exhaust valve, you are on the wrong TDC for valve adjusting purposes...ARH

Old 09-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #19

I Am positive I adjusted on compression stroke. Watched as intake valve just opened. Turned and watched as intake closed then Lined tdc mark up a a tiny bit more turning at untak valve closed. I'm going to run through process again tonight and set a bit tighter. Hoping it will not rattle as loud.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #20

Factory specs 0.04mm~0.06mm intake / 0.05mm~0.06mm exhaust cold. Here is the manual:

Keihin PZ30 Main-115 Pilot-38 Needle-1Washer Fuel Mixture-1/2

BSR Chronicles - "Project leads to more projects!"

Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki GSX-R 600

Old 09-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbodotcom View Post
I Am positive I adjusted on compression stroke. Watched as intake valve just opened. Turned and watched as intake closed then Lined tdc mark up a a tiny bit more turning at untak valve closed. I'm going to run through process again tonight and set a bit tighter. Hoping it will not rattle as loud.
I like to set them at .003 inches intake, and .004 exhaust. That is .001 looser than factory spec. Should be able to hear good "tick-tick" coming from the engine. Of course, I don't know if my'tick-tick' is the same as your rattle or not...ARH

Old 09-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #22

There are a couple of threads on this but I have a question for the valve gap experts. I did mine the other day and like a couple of people my first attempt left me with really loud tapping sounds. I did it again and the sound is a much higher pitch in the upper rev band. Should I set again or is some sound “normal”?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:47 AM   #23

I have the steps I did here:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=21929&page=2

I don't hear any valve "ticks" at all.

Keihin PZ30 Main-115 Pilot-38 Needle-1Washer Fuel Mixture-1/2

BSR Chronicles - "Project leads to more projects!"

Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki GSX-R 600