Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #16

As far as engine identification, the most common claim I’m finding is that it’s a Chinese clone of the Honda CG engines. I don’t actually have any way to verify that, at this point, though.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice View Post
Cool. I’ll give that a shot. Thanks.

Presumably I should be able to verify the battery got/ground pair by checking pins with my multimeter until I get the reading that matches the battery?
All of the wire colors on the new rec should match up to your plug based on the pictures you posted of your old one. I see pink above red, green above yellow, and black should be in the middle. Just verify that the black wires will connect at the plug. You may have to move one of the wires so that they connect. After install, start it up and verify that you are getting the proper voltage at the battery.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 08-26-2018, 01:13 AM   #18

Well, the replacement regulator/rectifier arrived today, and is installed. It's a bit finicky to start (I think I need to clean/calibrate the carburetor at this point), but trying to start it a few times didn't drain the battery like it used to, so I think I might be good. Anyone have any tips on getting a finicky bike started?

Also, I don't have a lot of spare space, and trailers are a bit spendy. Does anybody have any experience with motorcycle tow dollies?
(examples: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ycle+tow+dolly)

Do they work? Anything to watch out for?

Old 08-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Well, the replacement regulator/rectifier arrived today, and is installed. It's a bit finicky to start (I think I need to clean/calibrate the carburetor at this point), but trying to start it a few times didn't drain the battery like it used to, so I think I might be good. Anyone have any tips on getting a finicky bike started?

Also, I don't have a lot of spare space, and trailers are a bit spendy. Does anybody have any experience with motorcycle tow dollies?
(examples: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ycle+tow+dolly)

Do they work? Anything to watch out for?

Those front wheel tow bars are bad for flexing and causing the tie downs to come off leaving the bike to be drug down the road on it's side. A hitch carrier would be better.

https://www.amazon.com/Direct-Afterm...language=en_US

Old 08-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #20

I agree with ben2go, get a "sideways" hitch carrier ,like this one : https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...ycle+tow+dolly

I recommend getting an all steel one and avoiding the aluminum versions as aluminum can be tricky to weld and there have been issues as a result ,steel is the way you want to go on a budget bike carrier.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #21

I thought that the hitch weight was only supposed to max out at something like 10-20% of your tow weight. That would only leave 100-200 lbs, which is *far* less than what the bike weighs.

Am I wrong about that?
Is max hitch weight just a function of the hitch class?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #22

Aaaaand..
Even with the new rectifier/regulator, i’m Not getting the expected power to the battery while the engine is running.

Crap.

I guess now I get to pull off the fairings again, and start diagnosing the electrical system...

Old 08-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #23

What voltage are you getting? Does the voltage improve if you raise the RPMs? Check to be sure the connections are clean and tight at the battery.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 08-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #24

Most AC to DC charging systems don't put out unit the RPMs are above 3500 and maxes out by 5000 rpm. Most moto service manuals state to check the output at the battery with the engine revved to 5000 RPMs. 14.2 volts is what I like to see with nothing running off the battery. Anything above 13.7 volts should keep the battery charged, but any electrical accessories will pull the battery down faster than the charging system can recharge the battery.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #25

Before start, I see ~12.4V at the battery.

At idle, I see ~12.4V at the battery.
At 5,000 RPM, I see ~12.4V at the battery.

The only thing drawing power would be the dash & lights, which are mostly LED, and the headlight is burned out. (Figuring out how to pull the assembly so I can replace it is the next project.)

To check what AC voltage (if any) I'm getting from the stator, I'll need to pull the fairings (again), and I won't have time to do that until sometime next week.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Before start, I see ~12.4V at the battery.

At idle, I see ~12.4V at the battery.
At 5,000 RPM, I see ~12.4V at the battery.

The only thing drawing power would be the dash & lights, which are mostly LED, and the headlight is burned out. (Figuring out how to pull the assembly so I can replace it is the next project.)

To check what AC voltage (if any) I'm getting from the stator, I'll need to pull the fairings (again), and I won't have time to do that until sometime next week.
That sounds like a bad rectifier regulator. The stator should put out 75 to 90 volts AC, IIRC, on each wire.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:34 PM   #27

Well, I just replaced the rectifier, and it appears to have killed the battery. At this point, I the only thing I can think of is that the Stator isn't putting out any juice, or the rectifier and bike are wired differently despite matching wire colors.

Given that I need to remove the gas tank to access the rectifier, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to test it in action. I think I need mechanic who can diagnose and fix this one. I've checked with every shop I can find around here, and the ones that have bothered to respond say they don't touch chinese bikes.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Well, I just replaced the rectifier, and it appears to have killed the battery. At this point, I the only thing I can think of is that the Stator isn't putting out any juice, or the rectifier and bike are wired differently despite matching wire colors.

Given that I need to remove the gas tank to access the rectifier, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to test it in action. I think I need mechanic who can diagnose and fix this one. I've checked with every shop I can find around here, and the ones that have bothered to respond say they don't touch chinese bikes.

If you can, set your tank on a stool or small table nex to the bike high enough for fuel to flow to the carb and use a long length of fuel hose to connect them. I do a lot of moto repair work so I made a one-quart test tank from a universal auto coolant recovery tank.

Tags
accessories, df250rt, maintenance