Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Upgrading to a big D/S, which would you choose?
08 KLR650 11 40.74%
Pre 08 KLR650 5 18.52%
DR650 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
Good to see you back, but why no posts for the last 10 years or so? I could have registered that sucker in AZ for you...What was the final official word from the DMV, and where did you buy it from?
Bought from T-motorsports (one of the places on the press release from lifan american)

Haha, i got it tagged and titled, it took nearly all of march 2007 to do so. I must have spent like 10 trips worth of time to get it squared away. I rode it all last summer and into the winter.

I think my end mileage was like 2800km's or so. I had absolutely not a SINGLE pro... well actually i did have 1. the fork lock fell off.. but F it, i bought a pad lock that i put thru the rear disc with an alarm (xena). I sold it for 900 dollars, although the bike looked as good when i sold it, as when i bought it. Suprisingly i did nearly use up all of the back tire, it needed to be replaced when i sold it.

My new bike is a green 08 KLR650. I love it, i can actually ride long distances (on the HWY!!!) and although it is heavy in the dirt, its much more refined for long rides over a DRZ400... My buddy has one, i wouldn't consider the KLR and the DRZ even close to being in the same class. The DRZ is more like a faster chinabike, where-as the KLR is like a slower bandit that has knobby tires. Plus the tractor engine has so much low end grunt, you can shift from 1st to 5th and pretty much skip all the other gears for cruising. Its a very nice upgrade for what i needed (cheap commuter that i can ride anywhere, and including long distance touring)

I love the new bike, its WORLDS nicer for what i use the bike for, although i do miss the little 200 and its unique..... everything. I loved talking to people about it, getting lots of looks, stares, etc about it. I will get another chinabike when they get a 350 or 400 cc bike going on in the US. (something like a DR350 would be totally perfect to compliment the offroad side of riding, and the KLR will do my street and touring duties, until i can afford an even nicer bike.)

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_acp
I like the DR650, but it is mostly my personal opinion.
Same here.
I had the option of getting a used 07 klr with 200 miles, an 08 dr650, the 08 klr, and a new 08 DRZ400.

The 400 was out before i even rode it. I didn't like the seat, and it was not going to be good for 2 up or even any highway riding at all.

The dr is plain ugly, although it is a bit more powerful then the 07 klr. The 08 klr has more power then the 07, and the DR, bit is heavier also.

The 08 klr was much more refined and seemed like much more bike for the price. the Dr shows its age, just like the 07 klr did. I am assuming that the DR will be redone shortly to keep up with the new KLR.

I love the new KLR, its fantastic, worlds better then the previous one, if you ride 50/50 on pavement, and its much more comfy for long rides (very little vibes, wind protection, comfier seat, more compliant suspension, ohhh and the brakes WORK!!!)

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #18

I think the newer model KLR is some what over-rated, I searched for an older model 99-00 year for a bit and they were good....but I decided to go with a new Chinese bike instead, the newer model KLR goes up in price but nothing really changes on the bike except the appearance, dont get me wrong awesome bikes but just a little expensive compared to a Chinese bike....plus Im not a speed demon, so I refuse to pay more for horsepower, if I could legally ride my bike over 100 KMPH then mabey I would go for a bigger bike, but Im really just a commuter, congrats on the purchase, how much did you get for the Lifan if you dont mind me asking? 8)

Old 03-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Posted by: mrhyak
I was just wondering why all of the choices are 650's? I'd consider the 400's if you plan to do much trail/off-road stuff since I hear the 650's are pretty heavy.

Good luck.
The 650 is much better for streetriding. The 400cc bike will do it but if you are going to tour the 650 is the smallest bike that will do it well. For trailriding the 400 is the better choice for sure. If possible getting both is the better option.

mdsuave13,
I also got a new 2008 KLR650 recently. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. I got the red one. My bike is being rebuild to suit my needs a little better. Most of the stcok controls have been sold off and new Moose Racing parts are being installed. I have an on-going thread in the Misc section. A buddy of mine turned me onto the new KLR last year. I decided to part out my 2005 KTM 950 and get the 650 for daily commuting and touring. Here's a pic!

The KLR is not as high-maintenance as the 950 was. The oil changes are much easier and it does not require expensive parts. In fact, even with everything I am doing to mine, I have much less in it than just the extras for my 950. The extras cost a fraction of what the extras for the 950 cost. I had $1600 in two sets of mufflers for the 950 and both sets were junk!

I'm very happy with the KLR and should have it ready to ride next week. It's still cold here so I'm not in a hurry!

SamM

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 04-10-2008, 01:38 AM   #20

very nice SamM

I have about 200 miles on my new KLR. Its fantastic, although compared to the lifan, its so heavy off road, that its almost scary!

I just have to get used to it, but its worlds better on the street.

I may just get another lifan for single track and whatnot.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:40 AM   #21

The new bike and the HID's that i've already thrown in to it.(the lights are WORLDS apart from the chinabike)

Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #22

Hold out for a Jialing JH600!

No, seriously, love the '08 KLR650 - great bike!

tcs

Old 04-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #23

Movin' on up to the eastside.
I prefer the looks of the older ones for some reason. The new ones look like a bird from the front. They're both SO COMFY to sit on.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs
Hold out for a Jialing JH600!
"No hindrance but conquer!" (your own citizens )

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #25

Good for you. I'd love to have either the 07 or 08 KLR's but I can't get good financing for one because my credit took a pretty good hit last year. I can get one of those high intrest rate revolving loans, but it then doesn't offset driving the fuel gulping truck everyday. I can't sell the truck because it's in good condition, paid off, and I need it for work from time to time. I think I'm about to get either a hi-bird250 or a GY-5. Anyway enjoy your KLR, those are nice.