Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #1

Taotao 50 scooter

Just bought one of these for the wife, and I’m curious if anyone has bought one of these recently and modified it to cruise around 40+ with a 115 lb person on it. I.E bigger carb? Or other mods.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #2

Perhaps you could seek the assistance of a 10 year old to demonstrate how to use the forum search feature . . or Google.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Perhaps you could seek the assistance of a 10 year old to demonstrate how to use the forum search feature . . or Google.
Thanks for your very useful information. The key word in my text was recently, most of what I’ve found was a year or so old, and as I’ve found with the hellcat or Vader, the bikes were set up differently a couple years ago compared to what they come stock with today, such as the carb, sprocket sizes, and so on. But since you’ve taken time out of your busy schedule to remind me that a 10 year old knows how to search for shit, then I’ll find one and ask him, maybe he has a newer Tao Tao scooter, that he’s modified and knows the answer to my question.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #4

If memory serves I seem to recall a kid on YouTube who installed a big bore kit, carb and a few other goodies. I'd be interested in the same thing. Currently shopping for my little brother has to be 125 cc or lower was going to go with a Venom Ninja 125cc because it had a much higher cruising speed than Tao Tao Racer but have heard LOTS of bad reviews.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcstriker29 View Post
Just bought one of these for the wife, and I’m curious if anyone has bought one of these recently and modified it to cruise around 40+ with a 115 lb person on it. I.E bigger carb? Or other mods.
Hey those taotao 50 scooters are good. For the price you can't beat them.
I wouldn't put more then a 80cc big bore in it if you do.

Do the basic stuff you'll be good

20mm carb
new kevlar belt
new plug
racing cdi/coil

You can rejet the stock carb see how that dose first. just drill/extract/replace screws to access.
But ya there is a lot of good videos on youtube about these.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:21 AM   #6

You definitely need to join www.49ccscoot.proboards.com/ While not just about 49cc scooters, that IS what you have, so you will find a plethora of information. The owner of the site is very pro-Chinese-scooter, and if I recall, he has an ongoing Taotao 50cc project, so you will be best to join there, as well.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-07-2018, 01:16 AM   #7

Yes. I was trying to remember that site. Its a good site, the guy who runs it also has a ton of videos on youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
You definitely need to join www.49ccscoot.proboards.com/ While not just about 49cc scooters, that IS what you have, so you will find a plethora of information. The owner of the site is very pro-Chinese-scooter, and if I recall, he has an ongoing Taotao 50cc project, so you will be best to join there, as well.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:29 AM   #8

Thanks. I’ll check it out. I was pleased with the quality of both the Taotao scooter and the Taotao Hellcat. It seems Taotao has improved a lot of the problems they were known for. Like I mentioned before, a lot of older videos were just completely negative toward the hellcat, I got mine, changed the carb and gearing and a few cosmetic things, and I’ve put over 900 miles on it so far without any problems. When I ordered the scooter for the wife, I watched a few videos and almost cancelled my order, but glad I didn’t, because when it arrived and I went thru it, I was actually impressed.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcstriker29 View Post
Thanks. I’ll check it out. I was pleased with the quality of both the Taotao scooter and the Taotao Hellcat. It seems Taotao has improved a lot of the problems they were known for. Like I mentioned before, a lot of older videos were just completely negative toward the hellcat, I got mine, changed the carb and gearing and a few cosmetic things, and I’ve put over 900 miles on it so far without any problems. When I ordered the scooter for the wife, I watched a few videos and almost cancelled my order, but glad I didn’t, because when it arrived and I went thru it, I was actually impressed.
Taotao definitely has improved, i had one (sold just to make room) and friend has a few. I feel the most people think you can just ride it out the box and it will be problem free. Do a proper PDI PDI PDI....and you will have a good little bike for the money.

I love my Hellcat. and have my eye on the taotao db-17

Old 05-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #10

Yeah my 2017 Hellcat once put together and a few tweaks here and there, and it’s running great. The scooter so far seems to be just as good quality, but yeah if you know nothing about motors and bikes, I can see where someone would run in to troubled and leave horrible reviews. At least Taotao seems to be learning from their mistakes. Japanese cars and bike went thru the same deal, and look how far they’ve come.