Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2018, 06:30 PM   #1

Yeah I'm right around 5000 miles. My speedometer quit working this winter. All I can say about the Hawk, is it always starts and the engine seems to be bombproof. I've got mine pretty much tuned into where it's a reliable high maintenance daily travel bike. Perhaps the best mod was Dan's 520 chain replacement. I haven't had to fiddle a bit with it since the initial adjustment.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 03-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Yeah I'm right around 5000 miles. My speedometer quit working this winter. All I can say about the Hawk, is it always starts and the engine seems to be bombproof. I've got mine pretty much tuned into where it's a reliable high maintenance daily travel bike. Perhaps the best mod was Dan's 520 chain replacement. I haven't had to fiddle a bit with it since the initial adjustment.
I wish I could take credit for the 520 conversion, but that came from another member here. I just made sure to document it for future use and other members. It is definitely a good upgrade. 428 chain is just too close to the edge of durability with a 300lb bike and a 230cc engine if you put it through any sort of strain, at least in my opinion.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

High Mileage Hawk

I first considered a Hawk after renting two in the Dominican Republic for 10 days. We had a rented a small SUV, but it was pretty much useless on the narrrow roads and impossible parking in the small town we stayed. I found a shop that rented motorcyles and 4 wheelers. For a very reasonable price I rented two for the week. I had never heard of a Hawk before and asked the shop owner who made them, he just told me it was like a Honda from China. I really like the bike and found it would easily carry two people at 50 mph and was fairly nimble over some of the rough and rutted roads. I was impressed as the bike I was riding had over 40,000 (km’s or miles not sure) and started-ran very well and truly reminded me of the XR hondas I had growing up. I am pretty sure everything on the bikes was strictly stock. Only thing I noticed was that the rear sprocket was worn. I asked the shop owner if they were reliable , he told me he changed the oil, put on new tires now and then and that was it. I saw these things on the roads carrying everything from panels of plywood, propane tanks, families of 3-4 and sometimes 4 as well as cases of beer. I was impressed. So it seems that with some care they might be able to rack up some heavy mileage, and even if not with a low cost rebuild you can be back at starting point easy enough.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I wish I could take credit for the 520 conversion, but that came from another member here. I just made sure to document it for future use and other members. It is definitely a good upgrade. 428 chain is just too close to the edge of durability with a 300lb bike and a 230cc engine if you put it through any sort of strain, at least in my opinion.
I just ordered the 520 chain and sprockets and I'm gonna upgrade the sprocket studs to Honda while I've got it apart. I honestly can't remember the last bike I had that ran a 428 chain, maybe it was my XR 250? Either way it just doesn't look stout enough to me given my size and weight. I'm wondering about chain to tire clearance but I guess I'll find out soon enough.