Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #1

Irate Pulled the trigger on a TaoTao Hellcat

I know that the Hellcat are just coming out, so there's not a lot out there.

Just picked up a hellcat from a local dealer. I thought it would be better to have the assurance of buying an assembled model from a dealer that offers their own warranty and assembly, and titling, especially for a new model, so I paid the extra $300 than it would have cost to have it drop shipped.

Put about 30 miles on it today. Had one worrying moment where the engine starting pouring smoke out of the exhaust. Was able to trace it back to the crankcase breather, it was pinched off causing high crankcase pressure, and routed in a way that fed back into the airbox so any oil got sucked right into the engine. Still not sure if the oil was getting past the rings or just going right into the intake. Just disconnected the breather from the airbox and pointed it at the ground. Don't tell the EPA, but there also isn't any oil coming out of it now (guessing that means that crankcase pressure was probably the cause of oil burning).

Two modifications in mind:
1. would love to get an idea if whether a pod filter and re-jet would do anything useful.

2. Want to get the sprockets replaced. I get the feeling that this thing is based on their 125 dirt-bike offerings, so the gearing feels really low to me. Starting from 2nd is easily done, and 35 mph in 4th is 6.5k. I think that bumping it up 1 in the front or down one in the back may be the way to go.

The bike topped out at 50 (6'2" 200 lbs.) at 8.5k rpm. A little faster when I was going downwind.

Let me know if there are any questions that I can answer for you, and let me know if you have any suggestions for tweaks that can make this a better bike!

Old 10-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypox View Post
I know that the Hellcat are just coming out, so there's not a lot out there.

Just picked up a hellcat from a local dealer. I thought it would be better to have the assurance of buying an assembled model from a dealer that offers their own warranty and assembly, and titling, especially for a new model, so I paid the extra $300 than it would have cost to have it drop shipped.

Put about 30 miles on it today. Had one worrying moment where the engine starting pouring smoke out of the exhaust. Was able to trace it back to the crankcase breather, it was pinched off causing high crankcase pressure, and routed in a way that fed back into the airbox so any oil got sucked right into the engine. Still not sure if the oil was getting past the rings or just going right into the intake. Just disconnected the breather from the airbox and pointed it at the ground. Don't tell the EPA, but there also isn't any oil coming out of it now (guessing that means that crankcase pressure was probably the cause of oil burning).

Two modifications in mind:
1. would love to get an idea if whether a pod filter and re-jet would do anything useful.

2. Want to get the sprockets replaced. I get the feeling that this thing is based on their 125 dirt-bike offerings, so the gearing feels really low to me. Starting from 2nd is easily done, and 35 mph in 4th is 6.5k. I think that bumping it up 1 in the front or down one in the back may be the way to go.

The bike topped out at 50 (6'2" 200 lbs.) at 8.5k rpm. A little faster when I was going downwind.

Let me know if there are any questions that I can answer for you, and let me know if you have any suggestions for tweaks that can make this a better bike!
I have heard you need to loctite everything on the bike and replace the motor mount bolts because they break easily from vibrations do you feel this is true? I really want this bike because it is the closest to the 2015 grom model and i really like how the seat is long and flat vs the vader seat that curves up for the passenger

Old 10-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #3

No matter which clone you get (probably minus the SSR Razkull) you will probably have to change the motor mount bolts. I think that is a built in feature of Chinese bikes, at least my experiences with their enduros

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-06-2017, 01:46 AM   #4

Just got done swapping out the front sprocket. Was a 14t, now a 17t. It really helps the rideability. I don't feel like I lost any acceleration, but the top speed is now 54 mph indicated @7.5k rpms. Stock gearing had me winding out first before I could even get the clutch fully released, I ended up starting from 2nd a lot of the time, and spent most of the time in 4th at some pretty buzzy rpms. With the 17t sprocket, 1st gear is useful, 3rd is good for city streets, and 4th is nice for cruising.

Locktite and tightening everything down is definitely something that should happen. I'm a little disappointed that the dealer didn't take care of this for the extra few hundred that it cost to go through them. I even found that crankcase pressure was building because of a badly routed breather tube. There was heaps of oil burning, which the dealer . Should have just had the thing drop shipped and saved my money over going with the dealer....

Not sure about the engine mount bolts. How can I tell if they need replacing? Is it a case of just doing it preemptively?

Old 10-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypox View Post

Is it a case of just doing it preemptively?
Yes.

Also, replace the stock spark plug, and you can use the stocker as a spare.

I wonder if your dealer at least changed the oil. These bikes ship with shipping oil which is not meant to be used as motor oil. From my experiences and others' advice, once you assemble your bike, you start her up, let it idle for a while, shut it off, and drain (you warm the shipping oil--heck, in subsequent oil changes, any oil, so it is warm and it drains quickly and more of it drains). Heck, it couldn't hurt to change the oil even if the dealer did do an initial change. Then you change it again at a couple hundred miles, than at 600, and then every 600 or so.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 AM   #6

IF it is a shiping oil only .... any start up with it in the motor
will be doing damage...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 03-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #7

Does anybody know where I can get rear sprockets for the Hellcat? I'm not sure if it's the same bolt pattern as the Grom and I know it's a 428 chain thanks in advance!

Old 03-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #8

jtr269.34 for my x20

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20795

Old 03-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #9

I'm running 17/34 with Mikuni VM22. Top out between 60-65 mph. Acceleration feels fine... so maybe able to go 17/32 and still be ok.