Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

LED headlight wattage

I just replaced my headlight with an led and makes a huge difference. My question is , i ordered a 32w but was sent a 40w bulb...i didn't see that until i installed it, looks good and bright but is 40w too much?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #2

With the headlight on high beam, put a volt meter on your electrical system while the engine is idling. If it reads less than 12 volts, the electrical system is taxed too much and will eventually drain your battery in that condition. Next, try and simulate a "while riding" condition, with your RPM fluctuating from 1k to 3k, and watch the volt meter. If it stays above 12 volts, you're fine. You just can't let your system dip below 12 volts for an extended period of time.

This exact scenario is why I'm installing a voltmeter/USB charger combo on my handlebars.....you get an on-the-fly look at your electrical system whenever, wherever.

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 04-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #3

13.5 volts is where the lower limit is with the bike running. Anything below that and it will start to run off the battery. It has to over charge to keep up with the electrical demands and keep the battery topped off.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

thanks, i will see what i can do this weekend

Old 04-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #5

Because I don't know much about electronic systems and for clarification for all:

Would the volt meter just be hooked up directly to the battery? Or would you have to hook it up somewhere else like off the alternator or somewhere else?

2010 Sachs Madass 125
2015 CSC Cyclone RX-3
2016 CSC TT 250

Old 04-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiggyd View Post
Because I don't know much about electronic systems and for clarification for all:

Would the volt meter just be hooked up directly to the battery? Or would you have to hook it up somewhere else like off the alternator or somewhere else?
Hook it up to your ignition switch to come on when you turn on your bike. It doesn't need to be hooked anywhere else.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by da4design View Post
I just replaced my headlight with an led and makes a huge difference. My question is , i ordered a 32w but was sent a 40w bulb...i didn't see that until i installed it, looks good and bright but is 40w too much?
No, the alternator on the Hawk is 90 watts, so 40 is ok....ARH

Old 04-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

thanks ARH