Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #16

Lifan seems like the safer bet, but I really like the look of the Hi-bird and I will need the extra 50cc too carry the "extra" me around if ya know what I mean. (Yes I'm kinda a big guy). But on the other hand parts and repairs seem to be firmly in the Lifan camp. But there seems to be some sort of bad blood over on the Lifan side....

It just goes on and on and on.
I just want a cool little bike to ride on the logging roads and around town. Hell I just like working on motorcycles. And I still don't know what I want to do. The only local dealer is for Qlink and I don't see any reason to send him $2000.00 for a bike that does not appear to be any better than what I can get online for a $1000 less.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #17

Hey gloomhound,
I noticed your in Charleston WV.I was born in Wheeling.Yes that part of the country has the need for as musch cc's as you can muster.
I have no doubt that wich ever bike you choose you have some beautiful county to ride in.
[/img]

Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomhound
The only local dealer is for Qlink and I don't see any reason to send him $2000.00 for a bike that does not appear to be any better than what I can get online for a $1000 less.
I would definitely consider the Qlink, even at $2K. The Qlink is made by Qingqi, who ("the story on the street is...") manufacture the Suzuki DR200. It is essentially a half-priced DR200, complete with an exact copy of the Suzuki 200cc, and Qlink, here in the states, has a 2 year warranty.

Member 'Crazy Carl' who lives in China owns one (the Qingqi-badged model). Search thru the Ride Reports threads for his story of a long weekend on his bike, with his wife on the back.

At least try to get a test ride on one at the dealer, and form your own opinion.

here is the link to that thread--Carl is good about answering posts, and he should be able to help answer questions you may have.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=2993

Member 'Catastrophix' from Sweden contributes here, too, and owns a Qingqi, too. He has a diagram of a Suzuki 200cc engine in his gallery for comparison.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zundapp2

Culcune,

Will keep everyone informed as to the performance, reliability, etc. of the Hi Bird. I can report the engine is smoother than I had anticipated. That's not to imply it might not lose parts due to vibration but the shaking is nothing like a old Triumph twin or a Suzuki TS 400. (I won't mention Sportsters because I am ashamed of ever having owned one).

The rear sprocket is 46T and I haven't yet counted the front sprocket. (There are no meanigful specs provided for the bike. In fact there was absolutely nothing to even indicate the crankcase oil capacity. Fortunately I drained the original oil into a clean container and was able to measure the volume).

And now a question. The carb is a PZ 30. Any idea where one might find replacement jets?

zundapp2
No idea on the jets...Bruce (EJ Cycle), do you have any? Maybe Jetmotousa.com --they have an extensive parts list

Look forward to your reports on the Hi-Bird.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #20

As to the Qlink power to weight looks a little on the light side, and that compared to the Lifan. But the one I looked at was tight. (or seemed to be tight anyway)
Can you buy this bike online?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #21

If you are willing to take alittle risk in favor of more power then a hi-bird may be a good choice for you.

Others have mentioned good service from Tim at vbike and it sounds like he will stand behind his product.

SamM struggled with Qlink for months on parts and finally gave up.

Allen

Old 01-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #22

Hi Guys... Yes I have jets in stock.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 01-26-2008, 01:01 AM   #23

And of course the drama never ends. Is it me or does it seem that the market supply of the Hi-Birds seems to be drying up?

Also does anyone know anything about the Hi-bird being a clone of a Honda?

Old 01-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #24

Quote:
And of course the drama never ends. Is it me or does it seem that the market supply of the Hi-Birds seems to be drying up?

Also does anyone know anything about the Hi-bird being a clone of a Honda?
I bet the container loads haven't been coming in, and the ones already here are selling out.

As far as the term "clone"--no, these bikes are not "clones" although the technology is loosely based on Honda engineering. This was discussed here almost 2 years ago, and as far as anyone can tell, very, very little of these bikes are interchangeable with any Honda, except things like sprockets.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-26-2008, 02:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
As far as the term "clone"--no, these bikes are not "clones" although the technology is loosely based on Honda engineering. This was discussed here almost 2 years ago, and as far as anyone can tell, very, very little of these bikes are interchangeable with any Honda, except things like sprockets.
Sorry I have only been here for a little while. Now does this apply to the Hi-bird only or is the Lifan included as well?

Old 01-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #26

Quote:

Sorry I have only been here for a little while. Now does this apply to the Hi-bird only or is the Lifan included as well?
I didn't mean to sound short, sorry if I did. No, we had discussed all the brands in general--the GY series bikes. It seems that while they appear to resemble Hondas, they really don't.

So while the term "clone" gets bandied about, these bikes really don't think, act, or mimic a Honda enough to interchange most anything.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #27

The Chinese bike engines appear to be reverse-engineered from the Honda engine design (dependable, durable, ect). Very similar to the Russian Ural's who reverse-engineered the German BMW in 1940. The bikes and engines look the same on the Russian and German bikes, but the parts are not interchangeable. Same with the Chinese vs Japanese engines. If the engines were true clones, I guess parts would interchange since they would be the same.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #28

some parts are the same i know that there is a honda starter relay not sure off what because i matched it up at the dealer. i was going to buy it until he said $70. now i'm not saying that everything is the same just stating somethings are. maybe not cloned but borrowed technoligy.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #29

It's looking more and more like it's going to be an Lifan, due to if nothing more than you can get one cheaper. And the Hi-birds seem to be drying up. Any word on when the GY-6's will be available?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #30

Just curiouse,where did you read that hibirds were drying up?I plan on purchasing a 250 in a couple of months.The 250's came out in july of 2007 I purchased one with a few other models to sell in my driveway.I am also a member of a couple other atv sites and it seems to me that the hibird atv's are still moving.It just concerns me because I was really impressed with it and if there is a move to their extinction my eays and ears are open.