Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

White smoke from hawk 250

Hey guys i'm getting some white smoke from my bike after it heats up. The smoke seems to be coming from the front end of the bike. The smoke doesn't really seem to have an odor to it. My Hawk is still very new, it only has 160 miles on it. So my question is is this normal? Or is there something I need to look into? Thank you for any advice or info on the matter.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedeepinit View Post
Hey guys i'm getting some white smoke from my bike after it heats up. The smoke seems to be coming from the front end of the bike. The smoke doesn't really seem to have an odor to it. My Hawk is still very new, it only has 160 miles on it. So my question is is this normal? Or is there something I need to look into? Thank you for any advice or info on the matter.
Is it a lot?
Poop happens

Old 04-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #3

Check the rubber clutch cable boot right under the exhaust. Mine burnt away and emitted white smoke as well. .

Old 04-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #4

It's not to much but it is definitely noticable.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

And i just checked the rubber clutch cable boot and it's fine not touching at all and in no way melted

Old 04-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #6

nothing out the tail pipe at all? did you maybe get something splashed on the block out riding? ... a video may help if you can make one

Old 04-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #7

Have you checked your exhaust nuts to see if they have come loose? If you have not yet red locktite them.
Poop happens

Old 04-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #8

Yea nothing out of the tail pipe at all. And Bike has been sitting in my garage for a couple months now. I just went out to fire it up and let everything get nice and warmed up. As soon as I find my camra and charge it I'll try to get a video up.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #9

Thank you! exhaust nuts were a little loose. I tightened those down.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #10

I just rechecked the oil as I did an oil change earlier today and it looks like I put just a hair to much oil in. Could that be the cause of the white smoke i'm seeing?

Old 04-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

Could have just been a little bit of moisture/condensation that built up in the system from sitting a couple months... as soon as the exhaust/engine temps reached a certain point you just see the 'steam/water vapor/white smoke'.

It's the only thing I can think of, as you said it "Doesn't have a smell and happens when warmed up".

If everything is still in spec (oil level, valve clearances, etc.) I would take the bike out for a nice ride to stretch it's legs a bit and clean out the system from condensation (but I would still stay 'close enough to home' just in case I have to push it home )

Usually "a hair" over full will be "OK"... but that all depends on what your definition of "a hair over full" is to you...? a few teaspoons? a quart? literally "a hairs width" over the full line?

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #12

I'm unable to take it out for a ride just yet as i'm waiting on front forks and rim to come in. A while back my little brother took out my bike when I was out of town and did a good bit of damage to the bike and himself. I have gone over everything and replaced upper contecting plate but didn't have the cash to replace the rest until now. And as far as what a hair was I would say about a teaspoon and a half. Sorry i should have been more clear, thank you for pointing that out. I have drained the extra oil out of the bike already and have the oil back at the proper level on oil dip stick.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #13

Ah yes, I remember reading and posting in the 'accident' thread, how is your brother doing? Hope he is well and has learned a little from the incident

It could smoke a for a little while if the bike ran for a while after the crash (if the bike was on it's side or upside down), oil might have slipped up past the rings on the piston, if that is the case it will also clear up after a short ride (30+ minutes)

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #14

https://www.facebook.com/LarryCarroll79

This is a link to my facebook page with a short video of the smoke. You can start to see the smoke pretty go about 50 seconds in or so. Sorry if this is not the right way to try and show a video. I didn't know how else to post one. Oh and yes I did catch that my bike was idling high and adjusted it after video.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #15

he is great and yes he has learned his lesson. A friend of ours has a bike and he will not get on it to save his life! lol I think he scared himself pretty good