Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2016, 07:30 AM   #46

Well...I just want my new bike!!!

Old 03-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
P, This is why this whole suspension business is confusing.

This direct quote from Race Tech:

"The main thing spring preload adjustments really do is change the ride height."

I don't care about all the details, I just don't want to get beat up riding the bike.

jb
My stock shock absorber was punishing. It jolted my spine riding over imperfect paved surfaces. The Progressive shock absorber is greatly superior to the Chinese shock while riding over all surfaces, either paved, or unpaved. I strongly encourage you to purchase the Progressive shock absorber; it will transform the rear suspension.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
Interesting - when I saw the two shocks sitting next to each other, I asked myself the same question - their heights were almost identical - so then how in the world would the Progressive be taller on the bike?

I would expect the progressive has more travel capability upon racheting up the pre-load then the stock shock and maybe that would raise the bike? Am I right here Spud?
Whenever I purchase a bike, either used, or new, I properly adjust the spring preload on the shock absorber. After installing the Progressive shock, and properly adjusting the spring preload, I didn't notice any significant difference in saddle height. The Progressive shock has a little more suspension travel, but I don't think it increases saddle height.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfndirt View Post
Well...I just want my new bike!!!
The last I heard, the RX3 bikes were still in customs. However, if you give Ryan a call, I'm sure he will give you an update regarding the expected delivery date for your bike. I'm sure you will enjoy your Zongshen RX3.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Whenever I purchase a bike, either used, or new, I properly adjust the spring preload on the shock absorber. After installing the Progressive shock, and properly adjusting the spring preload, I didn't notice any significant difference in saddle height. The Progressive shock has a little more suspension travel, but I don't think it increases saddle height.
I was looking around and is there recommended info for front forks too or are they pretty good stock?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinope View Post
I was looking around and is there recommended info for front forks too or are they pretty good stock?
I recommend you change the fork oil for improved damping. I drained the stock fork oil, and substitued Mobi1 Syntethic ATF, which is equivalent to 10W fork oil. My forks now perform much better.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #52

Quote:
My stock shock absorber was punishing. It jolted my spine riding over imperfect paved surfaces. The Progressive shock absorber is greatly superior to the Chinese shock while riding over all surfaces, either paved, or unpaved. I strongly encourage you to purchase the Progressive shock absorber; it will transform the rear suspension.
Thanks for the confirmation, Spud.

I was beginning to think I was the only one getting punished.

I spent days adjusting and testing the settings of the stock rear shock, and it is better now, but not perfect.

I ordered the Progressive shock with lighter spring, 450/400.

Though I don't know what those numbers mean, but that's what CSC recommended for my weight and riding style.

jb

Old 03-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation, Spud.

I was beginning to think I was the only one getting punished.

I spent days adjusting and testing the settings of the stock rear shock, and it is better now, but not perfect.

I ordered the Progressive shock with lighter spring, 450/400.

Though I don't know what those numbers mean, but that's what CSC recommended for my weight and riding style.

jb
RJMorel and Fishman10 have also commented on the jolting characteristics of the stock shock absorber.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #54

Quote:
RJMorel and Fishman10 have also commented on the jolting characteristics of the stock shock absorber.
would you guys say the stock shock is unfixable? I don't know a lot about suspension so I was assuming a local suspension shop could work some magic on it without completely replacing but I'm guessing it doesn't have the right internals?

Old 03-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #55

Quote:
would you guys say the stock shock is unfixable? I don't know a lot about suspension so I was assuming a local suspension shop could work some magic on it without completely replacing but I'm guessing it doesn't have the right internals?
The stock shock absorber is sealed; it cannot be rebuilt. If you can determine the current spring rate, you might be able to get someone to sell you a different spring, which might work better with your weight, and the bike's load. However, make sure the spring dimensions are not too big, or the spring will hit the frame of the RX3.

In contrast, the Progressive shock can be rebuilt, and is available with a choice of springs, which have different load characteristics.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #56

Quote:
would you guys say the stock shock is unfixable? .....
justinope, I have ridden my RX3 200 miles (all pavement) since I spent all that time "tuning" the rear shock.

I am pleasantly surprised at the improvement of the ride on the rough surfaces.

For someone younger and in better physical condition than myself, the ride may be perfectly acceptable.

I'm still getting the Progressive shock, but would suggest that you adjust your rear shock to your riding weight and style, and ride a few hundred miles on different road, and off road, surfaces before spending $$$ on another shock.

jb

Old 03-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #57

gotcha, I'll keep that in mind. I mean its not a really big deal because literally every bike I've ever bought has needed suspension work to be competent. Even KTM's, BMW's, etc. At least this fix is cheaper than those other brands

Old 03-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #58

by the way I got my pre-order in on feb 28th and they're guessing around 3 weeks for me to get mine shipped out. but obviously varies.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #59

Quote:
justinope, I have ridden my RX3 200 miles (all pavement) since I spent all that time "tuning" the rear shock.

I am pleasantly surprised at the improvement of the ride on the rough surfaces.

For someone younger and in better physical condition than myself, the ride may be perfectly acceptable.

I'm still getting the Progressive shock, but would suggest that you adjust your rear shock to your riding weight and style, and ride a few hundred miles on different road, and off road, surfaces before spending $$$ on another shock.

jb
I agree with JB. Depending on your weight and riding surfaces, the stock shock absorber might work well for you. I think the Chinese shock performs pretty well for lighter riders.

In any event, I always ride a new motorcycle for several thousand miles before I even consider adding expensive improvements.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #60

Just got a note today from Steve at CSC - looks like the bikes are being reviewed as a precaution by the EPA for emissions (potentially linked to the Volkswagon debacle):

Dear RX3 Owner:

I want to provide an update on the status of your motorcycle. The most recent shipment of RX3 motorcycles, which includes your motorcycle, arrived as scheduled at the Port of Los Angeles on 21 February 2016. Ordinarily, clearing Customs would take 2 to 3 days and the motorcycles would ship to our Azusa facility, and we would then immediately begin shipping motorcycles to you after our pre-delivery and setup activities.

We learned last week that this recent shipment of RX3 motorcycles was pulled by the US Environmental Protection Agency for a random inspection. Apparently, the EPA has the right to do this without informing us. The good news is that we are confident the motorcycles are fully compliant with all requirements. The bad news is that the EPA can take up to 30 days to perform the inspections they wish to perform. In our efforts to get the bikes released, we learned that the EPA is doing this with imported cars, motorcycles, and all other products with internal combustion engines. We believe the increased EPA scrutiny is a direct result of the Volkswagen emissions cheating scandal.

We are not happy with the situation, but we expect the bikes to be released soon. I’d like to be able to tell you we are doing everything we can to make this happen, but the fact is we can do nothing to accelerate the EPA’s inspections. We are as eager to deliver your motorcycle to you as you are to receive it, and we will start shipping as soon as the bikes are released.

I promise to keep you advised on this.

Sincerely,
Steve Seidner
CSC Motorcycles, LLC
1331 W. Foothill Blvd.
Azusa, CA 91702
909-445-0900
909-445-0096 Fax
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250