Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2016, 12:34 AM   #1

2016 Preorder In! New Owner Checklist?

So I'm happy to say I've got my 2016 Orange pre-ordered. I debated back and forth between orange and silver and eventually went with orange. I think it was the right choice, we'll see! I almost wanted to wait and see if a 450cc version was going to come to fruition soon but I'm impatient, plus I knew it'd be a while with the TT in the pipes then the street bike as well.

A little background- I'm coming into this bike from a variety of bikes and I've never been much of a wrencher. Thats actually what attracted me the most to be honest with the step by step how to's on the CSC website I figure I can learn better than any other bike out there how to get things done. Reading them I don't feel intimidated and the pictures and writing really helped sell me on the bike!

Anyway, I know that I've read here and maybe on ADVRIDER as well about certain things to do to prevent problems down the road. Like certain bolts to loctite, fasteners to check, etc. Is there a list or how-to compiled somewhere of initial delivery checks on things like those or anything else to touch up to make sure I don't run into issues like a footpeg screw or some other bolt coming out? I know I've at least read about the footpeg and windshield screws somewhere.

Thanks in advance and I'm definitely excited! This will be my first NEW bike ever. Always bought used up until now. Another big plus in the RX3 column

Old 03-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #2

With motorcycles (both old and new) I always,

1) Check bolts and make sure all are torqued and threadlocked/locktight to spec.
2) Check all electrical wires/connectors and make sure they are connected, Clean and add Dielectric Grease to them also.
3) Check Spark Plug type and Gap... then buy a known Denso or NGK Iridium Spark Plug.
4) Change all the oils/grease/fluids to known fluids, new DOT Brake Fluid (my motorcycles need DOT 4), engine/transmission oil, coolant/antifreeze, fork oil, check the grease on the wheel bearings, speedo gear/cable, suspension/linkage, steering bearings, etc.
5) Check how straight the wheels/handlebars are and make sure the brakes work.

You shouldn't need to do any of the above with those CSC motorcycle(s)... but I personally don't trust the work done by anyone that I didn't physically watch... "better safe than sorry" comes to mind when it comes to my motorcycle being assembled right

Make sure you post up some pics when it arrives, please and thanks

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #3

Zongshen builds bikes to a higher standard of quality control than many other Chinese manufacturers. Now that CSC is assembling all the RX3 bikes before shipment, I can't think of any bolts you will need to inspect before riding.

Of course, it's important to perform periodic inspections with all motorcycles, especially new ones. For example, the bolts of the pannier racks might loosen after several thousand miles of riding over harsh terrain, et cetera. You will also want to check the bolts holding the exhaust header and muffler. However, your RX3 will be delivered in a ready-to-ride condition. Check the level of the motor oil, fill up the fuel tank, and start riding.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

csc does post fasteners to focus on i think it's on the home page of bikes in the service section or might be on the blog i remember something about a relay under the seat to unplug and plug back in i did it when first got my bike help me out people you know what I'm talking about It's the same place were they want you to tighten exhaust clamps

Old 03-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

Yes, here is a link to that thread. However, now that CSC assembles all the bikes before shipment, I'm confident they are performing all those steps.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?p=182747

The link above is located in the RX3 Tech Sticky, which is permanently pinned to the top of the RX3 Forum.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14228

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #6

oh ok gotcha so no worries now that they're assembling them, got it. didn't know there was a change in process on that front

Old 03-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #7

you may want to oil your air filter when you get your bike. My bike was assembled by CSC but the air filter was pretty much dry - though mine was probably one of the earlier bikes shipped out in 2015....

Old 03-02-2016, 02:22 AM   #8

That's a good tip, Sprite.

Whenever I buy either a new, or used motorcycle, one of the first things I do is clean and/or oil the air filter.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
you may want to oil your air filter when you get your bike. My bike was assembled by CSC but the air filter was pretty much dry - though mine was probably one of the earlier bikes shipped out in 2015....
My air filter was mostly dry too.

Gerry, at CSC, said in an email, the air filter is not checked during their set up.

jb