Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #1

Hypothetical Motorswap Questions

So I'm working on a Kazuma project that caused me to totally gut the motor.I found a perfect replacement. Kickstart- semi-auto 4 gear.With NO ELECTRIC STARTER. Just how I want it. My idea was to gut all the electrical on the quad completely. So if my calculations are correct, I should just need the engine to run to the CDI, to run to the Ignition Coil, to the Spark Plug Boot. Right? O.o Let me know if anyone has any advice. I've got the fram broken down now to repaint and I can't wait to throw up some photos.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

you will still want the key or kill (or both) switch hooked up so you can shut the motor off... other than that, yeah, no electrical other than that needed....

Old 01-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanks I appreciate the heads up. Never thought far enough as to how I'd get the motor off. Do you have a particular motor you'd reccomend? I'm thinking of a Lifan 125cc semiauto. Seems like it should have enough muscle to drag me or my boys.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

You want to run this motor is a quad? That'll be tough with a kick start.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
You want to run this motor is a quad? That'll be tough with a kick start.
Yes, it's a Kazuma 4 wheeler. The only problem I thinkI might have is fitting the kickstarter in. What trouble do youthink?

Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #6

http://tboltusa.com/store/black-lifa...FYElgQodiJ4Paw
This is what I was thinking. Just worried if the Kickstart will have enough room in the frame to be actuated. If not hopefully there is an extension available.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #7

That's exactly my concern. I doubt that there will be a way to start the engine with the kicker. Electric is much easier on a quad.

Any trikes or quads in the past that have had a backup have always used a pull start.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #8

Well the exhaus won't be my problem, as is normally blocking the kicker in these kinds of swaps. I know I will have to trim the plastic a little bit but it'llfit fine. I used the old, locked up lifan 110 as reference and simply held a kickstarter from another project where it would be. Now, I know the electrical would be easier. But for the type of application I'm putting this towards I just don't want to deal with another wire! The original harness was FUBAR

Old 01-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #9

The exhaust really isn't too much of the issue ,it's your foot on the kicker traveling through its stroke running into the rear tire ,foot rests and brake pedal .Back in the day there were a few trikes and quads with kickers ,often they would kick in a foreword motion because of the real estate issues ,the ones with standard kickers were generally racing models with wider rear ends ,and some had the kicker mounted foreword on the crankshaft .If your hell bent on a kicker ,you might wish to order an engine with both a kicker and an electric starter in case it doesn't work out with the kicker only .