Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #1

bad news

I just got my bike running perfect. I went out today and was messing around riding wheelies and ended up sheering off the bolts to the rear sprocket. Not only did it sheer the bolts off but it messed up the hub in doing so. Well, now I get to play (lets find a new rim game) . Just wanted to put out the update.
2007 VX 250 PR, uni 2 stage air filter, threw the dead battery away and bored the box out for the air filter. Changed out the main jet with a Keihin 100. 2002 CRF450R Replaced the head with an 06 and rebuilt the forks.  Mean Mean Machine

Old 11-14-2007, 04:05 AM   #2

I know the feeling, i had the same thing happen to me. Unfortunately i ended up going back to where i bought the bike (those people wouldn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other) and showing them what i need. In total 4 small bolts cost me $40 Australian, which is crazy. Lucky for me the sheared off bolts did no harm to my rim. If you are hunting for a rim u might wanna keep and eye open on people who are parting out their bike on this site, i know a few people have done so in the past. Best of luck finding a replacement.

Dan

Old 11-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #3

sprocket bolts

Did they actaully shear off or became loose and you didnt know it untill it was to late?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #4

I wish I just wouldn't have checked them. I check everything before I ride. Been in too many crashes for that. The bolts actually broke the sides of the hub out before sheering off. There's probably a reason these bikes have such a small air filter and low jetting. Anyway, I would look at getting better bolts if you plan on riding hard. Plus i'm a big guy so I'm sure the extra weight contributed to some of the torqing on the bolts.
2007 VX 250 PR, uni 2 stage air filter, threw the dead battery away and bored the box out for the air filter. Changed out the main jet with a Keihin 100. 2002 CRF450R Replaced the head with an 06 and rebuilt the forks.  Mean Mean Machine

Old 11-14-2007, 11:37 PM   #5

Same thing happened with my YZ400.
i bought another hub on ebay and just re-laced the rear wheel myself.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #6

Big Country,
I just registered for this site. I have been reading posts about this bike for about a month. I am seriously interested in the Viva but I was more worried about the power. Different websites have it listed between 14 - 17 HP. I am 40, 5'10 and about 190lbs but definitely not a racer. It just seems a little low. I am sure that is why you did the filter and jetting. Did it make it much faster? If your battery is gone I guess all it affected is lighter weight and no electric start. Correct?
The pictures look great but I have seen some of the smaller PIT bikes pictures but close up they don't seem the same. Mostly just the little things like the feel of their clutches and brakes make them just seem not well built. I was hoping this one was different.
Botomline... Overall would you still recommend the bike?
Thanks, John.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #7

I would be skeptical of any claimed HP ratings on websites. Some of these motors are pushrod type thus lower performance than the OHC motors, that should factor into your choice. I know its a concern of mine.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #8

I heard that before. I also read they have lower HP when you get a pushrod type. Sounds stupid but... What's a pushrod type? Is this bike a pushrod type?
I thought these motors were made like a Honda?