Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #1

2nd new battery dies with dead cell

Been through two batteries in two months. Battery works fine and charges strong. Then the battery just dies and diagnosis with a dead cell.

Bike is charging well and runs with dead battery but it won't (naturally) start the bike.

Could this be vibration OR shock (been riding some pretty harsh off road trails)?

Could the alternator be over charging, shorting the cell(s)?

Stumped.

Rick

Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #2

Could be over charging....Or the batteries are just not the best quality and can't take the beating. Are they AGM batteries?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #3

Have you pulled the caps on the battery to see if one cell is dry? Have you checked the voltage with the engine reving? Vibration can damage batteries but motorcycle batteries are usually made to withstand it.

Q

Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #4

charging these tiny batteries with anything above 2Amp trickle is literaly too much...and can easily cook them. Happened to me...

So if you're using a charger that is charging at 6amps or 10amps...stop using it on these little batteries and grab a 2amp charger at walmart...
DB-P12 Shineray Speedee 200 169LFM

Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #5

Charing

I am using a 1-2 am trickle charger so I don't think that is the problem. They battery works fine for 2-3 rides then dies mid ride. That is what is leading me to suspect that the problem is vibration or jarring from off road riding.

The two batteries I recently went through are a cheaper, US made plane jane low priced battery from Bike Master.

I ordered a Suzuki, gel filled battery and will give that a try.

I have also gone through a couple of head lamps...all other bulbs including the rear light which is always on are doing fine. I suspected that the alternator might be over charging, burning out the head light but I think the rear light and others which are always on would go too. I am suspecting vibration is also killing the head lamp.

Rick

Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 AM   #6

i was going to get a gel battery but was told it would be to much for my bike. when you get yours will you post how it does?
thanks in advance

my bike charges fine but i can't keep a charge on my battery either. i'm on battery number 3 in less than a year with about 4-6 months of no battery.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #7

I am still on the stock battery, but on my 3rd headlight and taillight bulbs.

I had some no start issues at first, but since then I haven't charged the battery since May.

I bought a battery tender, but haven't used it yet.

Allen

Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #8

On board battery charger?

I am thinking about mounting one of these under my seat or rear fender, What you think about it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93258

Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #9

That is a battery tender or charger. It is similar to what I have. Just a simple way to charge the battery.

Mine has a lead that you connect to the battery and leave it on the bike. Then you connect the tender to that while its parked and it keeps the battery charged or maintained. It is only a 1amp so it would take a long time to charge a dead battery, but keeps a charged battery full while not in use.

They sell similar ones at walmart on autoparts stores too. Just make sure it is less than 2 amps.

Allen

Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #10

Rick,

Sounds like you have a loose ground wire on the rectifier/ voltage regulator circuit. If you have a four wire rectifier/ voltage regulator then check the connections. Use needle nose pliers and gently squeeze the terminals or replace them completely as I did.

Using this kit:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=

Mark

Old 11-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #11

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A4781613

This is close to what I have.

Allen

Old 11-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #12

I don't need it Fast Charger, It just sucks when I haven't riden the bike in a week or so and the battery is drained.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #13

You just need the tender then. Mine looks like a cell phone charger. Its small enough to pack with you and takes a minute to connect it.

The connector just sticks out the back of the battery box.

I paid about $20 on ebay.

Allen

Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #14

I have been in the battery business most of my working life, working for the largest manufcturer in the world. The main causes of battery failure are heat and vibration. In your case most likely vibration. Best thing to do is get a high performance battery (any battery with an X in the prefix, i.e. YTX, CTX, ETX, etc.), or a sealed lead acid battery a.k.a AGM. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegmike
I have been in the battery business most of my working life, working for the largest manufcturer in the world. The main causes of battery failure are heat and vibration. In your case most likely vibration. Best thing to do is get a high performance battery (any battery with an X in the prefix, i.e. YTX, CTX, ETX, etc.), or a sealed lead acid battery a.k.a AGM. Good luck!
That's good info Mike!!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!