Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #16

sorry, ive been working late and the weather has been terrible so I havent given it a shot yet.

It couldnt be the battery, everything else works, lights, horn, starter, etc.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #17

i never said the battery...i said the cables that attach to the battery...

like the cable going to ignition...worth a look...
DB-P12 Shineray Speedee 200 169LFM

Old 10-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #18

I will take a look, but that shouldnt effect the kick start would it? because it wouldnt start with that ether.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronevaya
I will take a look, but that shouldnt effect the kick start would it? because it wouldnt start with that ether.

Take your sparkplug out, leave it attached to the wire with the metal part touching the engine and see if you have a spark in the gap when you hit the starter. If that is good, see if the plug is wet? If not, check to make sure gas is getting to the carb. Spark and Gas, it is the 2 basic things to check because if it doesn't start it is usually one of those two things.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 10-26-2007, 06:03 AM   #20

Make sure you have fuel in it and try to start it and then remove the spark plug and let us know how it looks (wet/dry-?)

Buy a new plug and gap it and check for spark while changing it and try starting it.(even if the old plug sparked try a new one)

Be very careful with checking for spark with the plug out and up against the engine it could ignite fuel as you crank it over.

If the plug is bone dry and has spark and the bike fires up with starting fluid then you have a fuel problem.

Also there is a small philips screw on the bottom of the carb and there is a small hose near it, if you back that screw out a little you will get fuel running out of the carb.(just an easy way to see if fuel is in the float bowl)

Old 10-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #21

You need to do the carb mod. I start my bike on 40 degree mornings using the choke and no throttle. It starts and idles just fine with the clip set to the second notch from the end.

Also you may need to turn the idle up a bit to keep it from dying at intersections.

Allen

Old 10-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
You need to do the carb mod. I start my bike on 40 degree mornings using the choke and no throttle. It starts and idles just fine with the clip set to the second notch from the end.

Also you may need to turn the idle up a bit to keep it from dying at intersections.

Allen
What he said................

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #23

ok, i promise to do the mod this weekend when i finally have time to myself

but, before going to work this morning I kick started it and it ran just fine, i have to give her some throttle with the choke open at first, but then she runs fine. after she is warmed up electric start works.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #24

Quote:

but, before going to work this morning I kick started it and it ran just fine, i have to give her some throttle with the choke open at first, but then she runs fine. after she is warmed up electric start works.
That seems about par for the course. When you need the electric start, it won't work, and sometimes, miraculously, the bike starts on first kick; later the electric start works! 8O

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #25

Quote:

Sounds like the starter might be dragging to much juice. If it is, sometimes it takes too much power away from the coil and a weak spark wont fire the bike cold. The carb mod wont fix this issue, but it will make it start without using throttle which is asking for a flooding issue.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
Quote:

Sounds like the starter might be dragging to much juice. If it is, sometimes it takes too much power away from the coil and a weak spark wont fire the bike cold. The carb mod wont fix this issue, but it will make it start without using throttle which is asking for a flooding issue.
Good point

Old 10-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Quote:

how would this be remedied? the starter issue

Old 10-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

how would this be remedied? the starter issue
This condition usually happens in an engine with a lot of miles where the starter bushings are worn and the inerds take a lot of power to turn. The remedy is a new starter, but don't go buying anything yet. The carb mod is free. Start with that and see what you get.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #29

so i havent had much time, but the bike seems to be fine now

i didnt do t he carb mod, but, the bike:

starts on starter with choke and idles with no need on throttle
starts on kick start
drives fine now

I dont know what the problem could have been, but everything seems to be back to normal

Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #30

Just the fear of being torn apart was enough to make it comply! Good to hear.