Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #16

I have a Hummer 250, 21/19. Seat height is about 38". I'm 6'6" and 280lbs, and its holding up to me so far. I got it in July, and have put about 16 hours on it so far. Changed the oil a few times already. Runs pretty good. Still need to adjust the carb needle for the idle and starting, but otherwise its great. Hauls ass pretty good through the trails. Fit and finish is ok, never going to mistaken for a Honda, but not bad. I've loctighted several bolts, tightened a couple of others. Going to strip apart the whole rear end in the next couple of weeks, because there is no lube on the swing arm bolt or the pins for the rear shock.

Shocks are crap, but with some adjustment they do their job. The front forks make a terrible noise going from compressed to air born, a real bang sound. I have taken some small jumps without any damage, and have certainly nailed a couple of good pot holes and rocks on the trail. No damage yet. I have no dumped it, and I don't want to. My kid brother (hes 14, I'm 30) got a little Giovanni 125 pit bike, which I figured would smoke me in the trails, due to its smaller size, and lighter weight. He can't keep up to me, and I routinely have to wait for him at cross roads in the trails. Hes not a slow rider, but he just can't keep up. His little 125 goes pretty good too, tops out around 65km/h, and in the open I can zip past him, even giving him a head start, but I really thought he would leave me sucking exhaust on the tight trails, and he doesn't. My little 250 takes the trails really nice.

Problems, are few. The shocks as said. The rear sprocket came loose within an hour of riding it, regardless of the locking plates. The suspension sounds a little rough at times, but the whole rear end needs to be lubed bad; I have been squeaking through the summer season with wd40 all over the linkages at the end of each ride. Smooths it out nicely, but not a good solution. The transmission seems to not like going from 1st to 2nd all of the time; sometimes from 2nd to 3rd it shifts into nothing, like its between gears. Happens maybe once a ride, if that. I figure its a break in thing, and that it will smooth out with use.

Sorry for the disjointed post, its my ramblings as they came to me.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #17

Hummer review

Thanks for the review of your bike - Kinda what I expected to hear. Who did you by your bike from?

Old 10-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #18

I got it from a local fellow, and paid far too much for it, don't ask, it was too much. I wish I had looked into these in more detail before I jumped on it. I wasn't too concerned about Chinese quality, because I own several Chinese machine tools, lathe, mill, drill presses. I have been quite happy with my Chinese made machine tools.

Anyway I picked it up from a fellow who had ridden it for an hour from new. He had changed the oil after that hour and parked it. He was about 5'6", and the seat height was killing him. I have no idea how he managed to ride it. He purchased it from a small shop in Toronto, where he also paid too much for it. I have since been in touch with the same shop looking for a second one, but they want far too much. I would probably get a second one off of ebay. I got my kid brothers pit bike from a fellow on ebay, and that went very smooth, and I paid half what the stores are asking. I would certainly do that again.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #19

Chinese stuff

I also have a Chi-com mill drill and 13x40 lathe - both work fine - I use them for making adjustments to parts I have made for me. They work good in that role. The quality/bondo filler on the chinese machine tools can vary greatly from one factory to the next. Having purchased a pit bike for my son last X-mas and seeing some of the finish/quality stuff I wanted to get feed back on the larger bikes.
This is what I make www.safetyharborfirearms.com

Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #20

I have a 250cc hummer

I have a 250cc hummer dirtbike. It has been great so far. I only use it for trail riding in NW ontario, but I have beat the heck out of it with no consequences. The bad things about the bike are:
1) no rim locks
2) no chain tensioner (there is a chain roller)
3) VERY cheap chain
4) bike is a little short for it's size
5) is hard to start on a cold day, but I haven't done the carb adjustment

The good things are:
1) PRICE (about $1000 cdn delivered)
2) runs great and is quite fast, climbs very steep hills easily, often without downshifting
3) suspension seems really good so far
4) better tires (off road) than the other chinese bikes i've seen
5) tall seat and comfortable riding position
6) I like the chrome exhaust
7) Plastic is flexible and doesn't break easily

I highly recommend the Hummer for anyone looking for a good, reliable (so far) dirtbike.

See gallery for pictures: http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=6890

Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #21

Could Oncedead's bike and the other bike pictured above be a Viva VX250PR (also mentioned on another thread)???

http://site.atvswholesale.com/images...0PR/big/17.jpg

and here

http://www.viva-motors.com/dirt-bike...ium-frame.html

Just wondering because I also like the looks of Oncedead's bike.

Where the heck can you use such a bike around Lemoyne? :?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #22

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...mZ250179894428

check this site out. I bought the blue one about 4 months ago and love it. I just now snapped the throttle cable. but other than that its been all good.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #23

Yep, that looks like the ticket Big Country. I like the looks and it seems very similar to the bike in Oncedead's post. I think you got a good deal on a pretty cool bike.

I'm looking for something cheap to use for trail riding with my 14 y/o son and am still debating what to get him. I think a 250 might be too much for him although he's 5'10", 140#. I'm thinking that a 125 - 200cc bike (like ChiGongJitsu's) might be better. I've checked used Yam TTR 125L and for that price I could get a new China bike it seems. That 250 would sure work for me and is probably more than I need. I don't mind some mechanical hassles and the challenge of keeping the beast running is appealing.

I noticed that you're in the Army and near El Paso (Ft Bliss?). I'm an army retiree but not so lucky. My biggest problem now is just finding some place to ride trails around here. I live near Gettysburg, PA, not far from Oncedead and from what I've learned so far, we can't just hit the trails in the surrounding state parks.

Again, very cool bike and I'm reading your posts with interest.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #24

Yea, they are all the same bikes, just have a few different names. They also sell them with smaller tires for a cheaper price , but i think thats just to small for a 6ft'rr. Still havent had any problems with the bike except for the battery getting weak , just needs charged. Olephart i heard of places in dillsburg to ride but cant find them, know of anyplace ?