Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #1

Chinabike trail ride

Have y'all seen this?
http://www.transamtrail.com/
Transamerica trail, is Tenn to the west coast on mostly dirtroads and trails. There is a new website, that I cannot get to come up right now, that was listing a couple new sections, Kentucky and Virginia. So I'm thinking a ride across one or the other would be the stuff. On the roads that I saw you should be able to cruise at 50mph or so which should be within range of our bikes. I am in the process of trying to plate the Tank 200, but so far, at 140 km's it seems to run real well and I wouldn't have an qualms about riding it for a couple long hour days in a row. I am thinking KY might be fun and doable this spring. Anyone else have any thoughts on a ride?
2007 DR 650
1973 Yamaha TX 650

Old 01-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #2

deputy, I used to belong to an international cycle group (horizonsunlimited.com) but seemed to have been kicked off (maybe by mistake) but there were a few threads discussing this trail.

I have seen threads on Thumpertalk discuss it as well, but get ready for the Chinabike haters (you know, the 65 IQ "my kawasukiyamahonktm... is the best bike and you are stupid for owning a chinabike" people who respond) if you inquire there.

I think advrider has a few threads about it, too. There are a few sites that discuss it as well; one of the sites prints maps for sale state by state. You can buy all the states' maps for a package deal, or just pick the state you want to purchase...not sure the name of the site, however; try Googling it.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #3

Yes, I have been reading about the TAT on various sites for awhile. I daydream about doing the whole thing, but that might be too adventurous for a chinabike to try, but a section or two at a time should be ok. Pullin G's made a good two day dual sport ride on his bike, and the TAT trails look mostly (especially in VA and KY) like little used two lane blacktop and gravel roads. Nothing that should be out of reach for our bikes. I am either going to do KY or VA this summer, just wanting to see it anyone else wanted to come along for the ride.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #4

I'm in. The fellow that bought my KLR did the TN to ARK portion last year. I've not seen the KY section yet but am anxious to see where it goes here in the Commonwealth.

Tighten all the bolts, shoe on some serious knobbies, and let's go!!

Old 01-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #5

I may have been wrong about it being through Ky and VA. I know that was what was on the website the other night, but not now. Oh well, Tenn is now showing as the starting point, wanna go through TN?
he TAT founder, Sam Correro, emailed me and said Tn was fun, along with MS and AK.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:34 AM   #6

Did you ask him about how he thought/thinks these bikes might do? In other words, does it flow, or are there incredible amounts of trail that beat up all bikes, let alone Chinese made ones?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 AM   #7

No, I have read a lot of other comments saying that it is not designed to be too tough. Tn is more paved road than some other states. I think the biggest worry, especially further west, would be fuel.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #8

Fuel would be an issue but I'll bet that Clarke makes a tank that will fit.

http://www.clarkemfg.com/Merchant2/m...=honda+xr%2Fxl

Old 01-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #9

I think we have discussed fuel tanks a few times on these threads, and no one seems to know if there is a tank that will fit these bikes...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #10

The best way to go is with www.tourtank.com $150 or so
2006 Jetmoto Enduro
IBA 19,400

Old 01-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #11

Thanks, alchemy, that was a quick fix...(most of) these bikes even have the rack to mount the tank!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #12

There's also Summit racing and Jas. I think over all the tourtank is the easiest way to go. Even if you order up the 3.5 gal with the deluxe plumbing you are still around $200.

Figure a range of 300+ miles with the stock and aux.

So when are we doing a meet halfway on the Transamerica and who all is going?
2006 Jetmoto Enduro
IBA 19,400

Old 01-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #13

Or the other option would be to set a meeting point in the middle and a time. Depending on schedule, you could ride the trail to the meeting point or trailer there and ride the trail back home. Or if you were on a really tight schedule, meet there and ride a day in either direction. Or any combination there-of.

My "big" trip this summer is supposed to be AK providing everything works out but I'm definitely interested in doing at least a piece of the TAT.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:18 AM   #14

I don't know anything at all about extra tanks. But for the same money as a bolt on tour tank, you could just get an increased capacity replacement tank from Clark, as long as you can find one that fits. Plus they have a seconds page where most are priced at $75.00. Just my thoughts.

I am thinking about ending up at a campground I belong to in West Tenn. I can have guest, if anyone wants to go that route, maybe a cookout or something. Plus, if my wife is in Tenn, she can come get me, or any of us, if we should have some kind of failure. Best time for me would be right after school lets out.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #15

BTW, speaking of gas tanks, how much does your bikes hold? I ran mine completely dry, then the reserve also. On the way back to the dealers to get a part replaced under warranty, I stopped by and filled her up. 1.7 gallons! Might could have gotten in 1.8 or 1.9, but it was pretty full. Also, it ran dry 140Kms. A lot of that was 1st and 2nd gear trail riding, and a good bit of idling, but I thought I would go further. From my figuring, that is only about a 90 mile range.