Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #1

Rear muffler mount broke.

The rear tab broke from the frame. Doesn't surprise me too much since I've been riding it pretty hard on the trails lately. Debating if I should upgrade my pipe to an aluminum one, or just weld the stocker back on.
Took the bike for a short ride without the muffler to see if I noticed any difference. Nope. So I'm assuming another pipe wouldn't do too much. Custom made header could though. :wink:

Old 09-30-2007, 06:55 PM   #2

A different pipe and air filter WILL make a difference as well as a bigger main jet.(I went from a 98 to 115 and think a 117.5 will be perfect)

I can say for a fact that those items will help since I have done it and noticed a diffinent improvement offroading overall and especially starting off in sand.

In stock form the bike was a pain to launch in sand and would stall out or just bog down most of the time but now I can just take off and go as I please with little trouble in the deep sand.

That all being said there is a ceiling to every engine and these little 200's can only do so much no matter what you do to them but there is room for some simple noticable improvements.

The pipe I bought is the one on EBAY (so called jetson pipe) that now (after some reworking) is OK but hardly a bolt-on item and it doesnt have the USFS stamp on it so it is limited in its usefulness but it does sound great although a bit loud and it did help my low end torque which is what I wanted/needed.
I'm not talking about reworking it to make it fit my bike I'm talking about making its own pieces fit together right.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #3

Speaking of bolt on item. Have we determined a "real" bolt on exhaust for these?
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #4

Actually I believe an XR200 to be a bolt on but you need a better quality one than the one I bought.
I only bought the exhaust not the header pipe so the header pipe may also help and allow a better fit but even so the pipe I bought had a mid pipe piece that didnt really fit their muffler.

Its all good now though and I love the peformance increase and the sound it makes.It has been mistaken for other bikes just because it now has a deep somewhat loud 4-stroke rumble to it.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #5

I will be looking harder. I had already rewelded the center tab back on and I found today that the seam at the front of the muffler where it is funnnel shape is broken.

I can reweld it, but I am ready for an upgrade now.