Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #16

I've seen copper gaskets, fiber gaskets (a mint green coloured fibrous material with a metal ring) and no gasket. I've used both the fiber gasket and the copper gasket with good results.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #17

I put a copper gasket in and mine still backfires, and is far louder than when it was new. Is there gasket sealant I should add to it? It does run fine and sounds more beefy now than when it was new, but when I rode it without a helmet the other day 16 miles home from work, it was deafening (this is not a usual practice of mine, but I got it started with a CDI change, so wasn't expecting to ride it home that day, but was able to, so did)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #18

Is this the brand new one? Inspect the welds where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I put a copper gasket in and mine still backfires, and is far louder than when it was new. Is there gasket sealant I should add to it? It does run fine and sounds more beefy now than when it was new, but when I rode it without a helmet the other day 16 miles home from work, it was deafening (this is not a usual practice of mine, but I got it started with a CDI change, so wasn't expecting to ride it home that day, but was able to, so did)
The copper exhaust gasket does not require any sealant. The copper gasket crushes to make an airtight seal when you tighten the bolts. If you still have a backfire after removing the old crush gasket, and installing a new one, your fuel/mix mixture is probably lean.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-21-2014, 03:04 AM   #20

It is the new bike, pchitti. The old one had gotten even louder over the time I commuted on that bike!

Spud--my fear is tightening the bolts too tight and breaking the bolt or stripping it. It is as tight as I want to go right now, but I am fairly certain the copper gasket did not crush. The end nuts are the 'capped' kind of nuts (they resemble a bullet), so not sure if they reached their maximum as far as tightening, and simply won't let me go further physically since they are those bullet-like capped nuts? I might buy some regular nuts instead so I can theoretically tighten those lower down the bolt thread, perhaps, which might do the trick. But again, I don't want to strip the bolts, either.

With a helmet, the bike isn't as loud as my ride without, and seems to sound 'cool' enough that it draws pedestrians' attention (and they are not laughing or giving me weird looks, either ) I might just grow to enjoy the sound...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard