Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #1

My old ride

This is my old bike, traded it for my Qlink MT250.

76 CB750 frame with a 81 GS550 power plant.
Never got it running quite right due to lack of funding. 4 x the carbs makes everything expensive... Had no problem keeping up with my buddies 78 cb750f. Granted he has at least 100lbs on me. Was a blast to ride until you found a bump, gravel, a piece of paper in the road... I like having rear suspension much more now.

Will post some pics of the frame build.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #2

This is what it looked like when we first finished it.

This was what it looked like when I came into the project. It was a planned bike for someone else. They bailed after making a few decisions... You cant see the full sissy bar, it was close to 5' tall.

After a few modifications to fit my tastes. Sides covering the hardtail modification and trimmed the sissy bar by about 3.5'.

Ever had two people grinding on a frame? I dont suggest this method unless you have a third to hold the frame still.

One of my favorite custom parts. Rear brake linkage. Took hours to weld the links. lol Sadly you can see the aftermath of changing the ignition, never got it running after that. Not sure what happened, wouldnt start, just backfire every few tries.

In the end this is the final look of the bike. Put about $700 into parts and tires, paid WAY TO MUCH for the bike in the first place $1500. Was supposed to have a title, but it never was found.

In the end, it was fun and a good life lesson. Glad to have experienced it and it makes the MT250 that much more enjoyable.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #3

That's not what I visualized when you said hard tail. I presumed it was a design where the rear triangle follows the backbone angle, ending at the rear axle. Your design allows two-up riding, and that can be a benefit.

It's intriguing that the PO put a GS motor in a CB. Was it a case of "what was laying around," or was there some research that makes this a desirable swap?

Is that a CT-1 in the background of the first pic?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

Was an extra motor that needed a home. They guy welding in the pics built the bike, had replaced a GS motor in one of his prior rides. Made it fun to find parts for.

Had been looking into welding the "normal" hardtail frame in, but it was cost prohibited. This was meant to be a rat rod, and I took it in the middle area wanting a decent paint job on it. lol

Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #5

Not sure what all is in the background. I know the bike under the cover is a shafty Virago, believe the uncovered was a Yamaha. He has multiple cb750 in there with a few harley frames and other random bikes.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

I love messing around with frames like that. Sometimes I fail, but I always learn.

I have a '73 Yamaha CT-1 in the shed that looks a lot like the Yamaha in your pic.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #7

I know the feeling, stock just isnt right to me. I really want to pick up a little old cruiser and do a full cafe build. There are two 76 cb550' sfor sale near me. One parts the other with title, to bad I have a budget... lol 600 for both but I would sink at 1k into getting one running and on the road.