Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #1

Like my new lights?

I'm just goofing off. I wanted to see what these lights would look like mounted on the bike. I actually kind of like the look. These are wide angle flood lights, but I'm thinking about using one flood and one spot (high and low beams respectively). They are avalible in 35 watt bulbs.
Oh yeah, if you'll notice the lights are held up with a yellow bungee cord. If they do get mounted for real I will make a proper bracket and enclose the wiring with a hobby box.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #2

I like'em! I would mount them a little closer together though.
I mounted up some car driving/fog lights on mine. Had them all mounted and wired up and then the bike's stator didn't have enough juice to power them. :evil:

Old 08-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #3

They look ok, Wonder if the bike can power them though...Give it a shot.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #4

If I do mount them they will be closer together and a bit lower. One side will be the fluted lense flood like is on it in the pics and the other will be a clear lense spotlight for the high beam.
Pulling them should be no problem as GE makes the bulbs from 35 watts up to 100watts and they are only about $4 for the 35watt bulbs that I want.
It's not so much about fashion as it is about being able to see... man the stock headlight stinks if you're doing more than 20mph a night. And forget about what's on your sides! That's why I like these flood beams, they shine way out to the sides, they illuminate evenly and they have a decent range.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #5

Hey, I gotta ask. Thats a 07 AL GY-5 right? I noticed your heat shield is different than mine. Are yours stock? I have a fat one that looks like an expansion chamber and on muffler I have the 2pc. chrome heat shield where you have a 1pc.
And I like that light setup. The low beam on mine don't do squat. I mean I can't see it at all. I'd be better off holding up a candle. The high beam is a lot better but I might be blinding on coming traffic .

Old 08-05-2007, 12:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrainII
Hey, I gotta ask. Thats a 07 AL GY-5 right? I noticed your heat shield is different than mine. Are yours stock? I have a fat one that looks like an expansion chamber and on muffler I have the 2pc. chrome heat shield where you have a 1pc.
And I like that light setup. The low beam on mine don't do squat. I mean I can't see it at all. I'd be better off holding up a candle. The high beam is a lot better but I might be blinding on coming traffic .
I know the sheild of which you speak, but I don't recall seeing it on a Lifan (unless it's a GY-2??) . But, yeah mine are stock. Post a pic and let's see what your bike looks like.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #7

The BrainII, You have the same bike as knothead. Just a small change durring mfg. The style you have is most common. Also, as to the headlight problem, try turning the bulb 180 degrees. I have had no trouble with the headlights on these bikes for the most part. I have had to turn the bulbs on a few.

***I've seen mention a few times on here that folks were interested in HID lighting. I have a source where I can get one pair (2) sets of HID lights for all major bulbs, i.e. 9004, 9007 etc. for 300.00 per set. Includes all hardware needed. I'm not to interested in the mod, but if anyone wants to try it, let me know.

Thanks

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 08-07-2007, 02:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme
The BrainII, You have the same bike as knothead. Just a small change durring mfg. The style you have is most common. Also, as to the headlight problem, try turning the bulb 180 degrees. I have had no trouble with the headlights on these bikes for the most part. I have had to turn the bulbs on a few.

***I've seen mention a few times on here that folks were interested in HID lighting. I have a source where I can get one pair (2) sets of HID lights for all major bulbs, i.e. 9004, 9007 etc. for 300.00 per set. Includes all hardware needed. I'm not to interested in the mod, but if anyone wants to try it, let me know.

Thanks
You mean just flip the bulb's orientation?... That's too easy! I'll try it though, as it is now I try not to ride after dark. Low beam is so-so, the high beam is just a bright spot in the distance with darkness between it and the bike.
I'd love to have HID lights... but they are too much for me! I built an LED array tonight using some ultra bright whites I had in my parts box. 40 LEDs with a current draw below .5 amp... darn thing is blinding! I plan on building two lights using epoxy and Lexan for the housings... water, shock and vibration proof with a service life of 100,000 hours. I'll have maybe 10 bucks in them! (still not as good as HID, or even halogen, though!)

Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip Brian. Which bulb is the high beam. Is it the large center one or the small one on the side. I ask because I think my wires are hooked up in reverse. When the switch is on "High" only the small side bulb is on. Switch to "Low" and the large one comes on also. Easy enough to fix but just want to make sure I have the high and low bulbs correct.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #10

The small bulb on the side is a "parking light". The large bulb should have both hi/low beams. Mine burned out after the first 100 miles.

Allen

Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #11

Hey knothead, I like where you're going with this. Keep us posted. I like the look...very baja racing.

jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 08-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #12

Katoranger, Ahhh, I can see not why I thought my wires where hooked up wrong. It's the hi beam that's burnt out on the big bulb that made me think it was hooked up wrong. You say the little one is a "parking light"? It's on all the time. I'm not sure I get what this little bulb is there for if you either have hi or low on all the time....there is no off for the big bulb.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy250
Hey knothead, I like where you're going with this. Keep us posted. I like the look...very baja racing.

jason
Will do. I'm chasing down a couple of ideas at the same time right now. 1. the LED lights I'm working on. 2. lights like in the pics, at 35watts 3. upgrading the stator and going from there, if I could get even 100watt output I'd be really happy.
#3 is the route I'd like to take, I have been looking at the factory stator and think it could be rewound for more power, but I can't find any sort of formula to estimate the power output. but then again, as cheap as the stock stator is I might buy one just to rewind it an see what I get.
The bad thing is classes start soon and I'm going to be up to my eyes in calculus and linear algebra... it'll be something to do just whenever I have time.

I've sent a few emails out, trying to explore options, but so far I have gotten no replies.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrainII
Katoranger, Ahhh, I can see not why I thought my wires where hooked up wrong. It's the hi beam that's burnt out on the big bulb that made me think it was hooked up wrong. You say the little one is a "parking light"? It's on all the time. I'm not sure I get what this little bulb is there for if you either have hi or low on all the time....there is no off for the big bulb.
The little bulb is only about a 5w bulb I think. I made it home driving on that one after I lost both Hi and low beams on the same ride. I believe it stays on all the time and then you should see two filaments in the main bulb.

The bulbs are cheap from denniskirk and are much better quality than the stock ones.

They also come in 45w too. Look in the cross-reference parts thread for the link.

Allen

Old 08-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #15

Hey guys, have not been on here in a couple of days.
Yes, I was refering to rotating the actual bulb. Sometimes this helps align the filiment more suted for the angle of the headlight.

The HID's I found are $300 but I figured if 2 of you wanted to toy with that then it would not hit the pocket so hard.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein