Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #1

I just got my new 2007 american lifan 200gy-5 dual sport!

today i went down to JMR honda & suzuki and picked up my new bike! this is an american lifan ive verified that because there really are lifan symbols all over the engine bolts! What suggestions do u guys have on fixing the bugs out of this bike like the flimsy license plate etc.. do i have to take the carb off to get at the needle + seat for better idling? any suggestions i should do to the bike right away, they assembled it and checked all the bolts, the chain is allittle on the loose side, have all the paperwork. I cant wait to register this next day off i get. have to get motorcycle permit too

Old 07-29-2007, 12:41 AM   #2

I cut a piece of mudflap to fit behind my license plate and bolted the bottom bolts aswell as the top, no problems since then.

to silence the beeping winkers, stuff the thing with foam and wrap with electrical tape, to stop the 4way flashers when braking (if you want), there is a wire you can disconnect... (if you want more details on these things I can explain more thorougly)

Other then that, I would suggest that you enjoy it (others here will probably have suggestions)

ps, check the prep guide in the tech info or faq section

Old 07-29-2007, 12:47 AM   #3

For the tag bracket. Take a skate wheel (or something similar, kinda rubbery) and cut it's thickness down to fit in between the tag bracket and fender, drill a hole through the bracke and fender, add a screw, washer and a nylock nut... it will kill the vibes that break the tag bracket, plus it adds some support... worked on mine.

To get to the needle just unclip the rear of the tank, raise the tank and suport it with a block of wood or something. You should be able to get the slide out of the carb with just a little wiggeling.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:49 AM   #4

I strongly suggest :!: .........You ride safe and have a blast , There are threads that outline other details..

Old 07-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #5

I took off the tag bracket and bolted my plate directly to the rear fender. Then where the bottom of the plate hits on the fender I put a drop of Shoe Goo. It works great! I also used it where the white side plates "slap" against the other plastic pieces.
Locktite your nuts and bolts.
Put nylon locking nuts on your swingarm (the chain tensioner) and then use the stock nuts to double nut the bolts.

You don't have to remove the carb to adjust the C clip. Just remove the seat to unscrew the top of the carb.
Drill out your muffler.
And mine benefited tremendously from putting hi temp rtv silicone around the engine mounting bolts to soak up the slack and get rid of the bad vibes.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #6

did drilling out the muffler help that mutch an did you use a long drill an how lowd was it after ?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #7

I think all the little mods I've done (with others tips off here) have helped the little bike come alive but none of them have been "WOW".
I was hesitant to drill it out because I didn't want it to be loud and obnocious like a Honda fart pipe. At idle it sounds like a heli flying over (awesome). I just really like the sound of it.
I used a 3/4 hole saw drill bit.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #8

can I hear the exhaust?

can you put a sound file of the exhaust mod u did to your bike on the site so i can hear it? I might do it to mine but i dont want it be too loud. Im goin to do the mods you guys suggested to mine. Im goin to take the motorcycle safety course before i register my bike .

Old 07-30-2007, 10:56 PM   #9

I never took a motorcycle safety course but it sounds like a great idea.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #10

When you drill out your muffler your bike will finally sound like a bike - you'll hear the exhuast instead of the engine chatter.
I could make a vid, but it will be awhile

Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #11

The MSF course is a good idea.

Allen

Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #12

My muffler is stock, I've got 2600km and all is well. (although my muffler did rattle apart, had to operate on it, but chose to put it back to stock).

I think, though dont remeber too much, that you may get a little performance increase after its broken in

Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #13

Most new riders in ontario take a weekend course, I did. Glad I did too. As for your muffler mod, fatboy 250 helped me with mine, thankfully. Have you gone through my photo album? It's on page 8 of the gallery. At idle my bike isn't much louder at all, just deeper. As you increase throttle, ya it's louder. Not HD loud, but easily noticable. When I adjusted the needle, added a cone filter, and re-jetted, thats when things started sounding different. Louder too. I keep the revs lower when I'm around home now. :roll:

Old 08-01-2007, 02:39 AM   #14

Your muffler should be the same as mine, I have pictures of all the internal workings in my gallery, if it'll help you decide where to drill, I think a hole in the back would make the most sense, cuts down on alot of the traffic congestion the exhaust air has to put up with i think...

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=5751