Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #1

1980 kawasaki kz750

I own a '01 zong 200gy that I post some times in the enduro category
just recently purchased a 1980 kawasaki kz750 for $600 off a custom motorcycle shop. the shop owner was going to make it stock and restore it but never got around to it

it didnt come with a seat or tank but that is what is fun about building a bike.
It has 4 carb's 8O I took the assembly off to clean them but when i went to do so they where bone dry and the jets where spotless.

the back end is going to be my main focus, im ordering a seat cowl and a seat next pay check and i have shopped a long time until i found the pieces more pix to come. those tail lights and dual exhaust are just killer

8)

still have yet to crank it but once a battery is popped in there may be a couple of finding loose connectors or some starter spray but im very confident it will turn over and roar to life.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #2

Someone must have cleaned the carbs or drained them prior to storing it.

What are your plans for it?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #3

im not going to mess with the performance because im a small guy and any more power would throw me.
I am going to mess with the tail light, tail cowl and seat
im going for the 1980 kz440 tail because its shorter and i want the tail to end right at the bar and not hang off like it does when its stock.

i would really like to get my hands on this seat but it is has been very difficult for me

i do have a back up seat to use if i can not find that one in time.

i want it to still have that stock look but also with some cafe racer in there as well.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #4

Thanks for starting the new thread, Partick. The KZ750 appears to be in very good condition. It's a good sign the carburetors were so clean.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #5

pay day i will find out what kind of bike it really is with a new battery, im itching to go get it.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

That looks like a terrific foundation. At this point, you could make a simple brat-style bike, which would suit that frame well.

A cafe build is also do-able, but it would mean a more squared-off tank, rather than the teardrop style that came with that bike. To complete the cafe look, rear sets and clip-ons look very good, but they can become pricey and complex.

A bobber would be cool as well, but that would require some welding and fabrication skills.

My vote is for a sweet brat-style bike. You can see some examples of all three styles here: www.dotheton.com

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #7

Great classic UJM. I am familar wiuth this bike. :wink:

In college I briefly had a 977 KZ650. I assume this is pretty much the same as the 750. Jimmy had a 1980 KZ650 as his first bike as well.

My 2cents:

You are better off without a seat than the stock seat that comes with the 'LTD' version :roll: . See if a flatter seat without the large uncomfortable and (IMHO) unsightly 'step' will fit. :wink:

It appears a PO already removed the buckhorn handlebars that would have come standard on this bike, this is a very good thing as well.

These bikes were very sensitive to jetting and tolerated pod air filters poorly. I recommend a stock airbox if you can go that route.

Use the stock exhaust if at all possible. The period style Kerkers were LOUD and tough to jet. :?

Dyna made an electronic ignition that was a great upgrade back in the day. I don't know but I suspect the 1980's are already EI.

Enjoy the bike!

Old 04-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #8

i have rejet kit which im going to hide from myself now haha I feel lik a cafe or brat style would be what im looking for. I love how quickly motorcycles can be turned around from a rusting frame and motor outside to a well tuned fun machine thanks for all the discussion about this please keep it up i very much enjoy it!

im also glad the handlebars where replaced before i even got the bike because I'm not so much into the stock ones.

no luck finding the seat, i have decided to get a rear seat that isnt upholstered and add just a bit of memory foam to the front to sit flush with the seat. its just an idea that Im willing to throw money at even if it dosnt work out

Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #9

For seat inspiration, check out Dustin Kott. He's a genius.

Three parts:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #10

thanks so much for that! i found it very useful and have made a decision to get a different shaped tail and so i can have at least the back fit snug with no modifications but the front will need to be extended.

this cowl would fit this seat a lot better, the seat im buying is just foam and the mounts and isnt damaged like the one in the picture.

i plan to add wiring and foam to the front to round it out.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #11

The cowl you have is a very nice shape, and you could certainly fabricate a cafe-style seat that uses the existing cowl. Can you show us a pic of the bike with the cowl installed?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #12

thats the ebay picture actually, its in shipment and i promise as soon as that thing shows up at my house it will be on my bike and a picture will be posted on every forum and social media website im on :roll:
Im so excited about it and may even fire it up earlier than expected.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #13

so the parts are starting to come in
tail and another blinker came in

the blinker i got in is not what i was expecting

its HUGE like off of a 1000 or something.
im not too sure if Im going to try and find another one that matches the smaller or bigger one. or changing it all together because of these bad boys

they have blinkers on the end and give it an edge that im looking for and I would only need to get an adapter for the left side since they are just the size of throttle sleeve for a snug fit on the 7/8th handle bars.

Im playing with the tail light trying to figure out with the now pushed forward back end.
it wil have a more snug fit if I end up doing this or melting grooves in the orignal to make it fit im not to sure

Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #14

That cowl is perfect for a café seat; if you examine the leading angle of the cowl, you'll see that it's parallel with the frame section, as if it was an extension. In other words, the diagonal frame section that is just ahead of the rear shock is in line with the front angle of the cowl. That is just the balance that is desired. From there, you could fabricate a steel pan seat (Dustin Kott style), have it transition into the angle and keep the padding thin.

If you can make the tail light stick out a bit beyond the cowl, it's to your benefit. It reflects light from the side, and makes it easier for cars to see you, like at a T-intersection.

I'd stay away from lights on the throttle tube, because it's a higher potential (no pun intended) for electrical trouble. Static mounted lights are easier and safer. There are many really cool designs for cheap on eBay; I've bought a few of these: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-Motorcycle-...16ee54&vxp=mtr

Old 05-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #15

if i have the handle bar blinker grips I will have some next to the headlight as well but im trying to find an oldschool look with them

I have a seat I can make work coming in today so Ill see if I need to make a pan for a custom one.