Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

Hummer Sport 150 questions

OK, just picked up a Hummer Sport 150 the other day & have a few questions. Original engine was swapped with a 110cc motor (107cc on case). The wiring on this one is hacked up & missing in spots, but I have that 110 to pull from if needed. I checked out Hooper Imports for their diagrams & think I might have most of the wiring figured out, but no rectifier, no keyed ignition switch, & no starter button. The CDI, Coil, & starter are all ready to go after I tinkered with it.

So my questions:

1. There's no way this was originally a horizontal engine, right? I figure 150 would be vertical but maybe I'm wrong. Definitely bolted up to the original mounts & a lot bigger than my 90 & 110 ATVs.

2. If it is supposed to be vertical, how big could I swap in? Would love to score a 250 or possibly some Japanese engine, just don't want to mess with welding/cutting.

3. Who makes Hummer Sport or better yet, what's it a clone of? It looks to be built solid, just curious.

4. Do I need a rectifier if I'm not running lights? I'd like to keep the wiring as simple as possible. Current motor has no kick start shaft, so I need a battery. Best case would be to find a motor with kick start later on, but I'd like to get it running by next month. Maybe even skip the key ignition & just get a kill switch/starter button combo like on dirt bikes.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #2

OK, so I stole a harness from my parts ATV. Went out & bought a new regulator, coil, plug, & have a good CDI. I have the wiring lined out completely, bypassed the remote kill switch for the moment. Now I'm having a new problem. I am getting good spark through the plug, it has plenty of compression to blow my finger off of the plug hole, & I am getting fuel, but the bike won't start even if I remove the air filter & spray starting fluid into it. I've had it "kick" over like it wants to, but won't start. Anyone have any ideas? If I don't get it figured out in a couple of days I have another engine to swap in, but it's CVT & I really like the ability to shift through the gears even if it's just semi-auto.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the timing is off, but how would I even set it or is it possible? What about setting valve clearance? I haven't ever had to do that one one of these so a walk through would be good.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

How do you know you have a good CDI? Compression that will blow your thumb off the hole isn't necessarily enough, and perhaps a valve adjustment will solve the issue.

In any case, I'd start with a valve adjustment.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #4

100% positive it's something in the motor now. I swapped in the CVT 110 for the moment just to test it out. Fired right up & rode it around just fine with all of the same electronics & carb. The CVT motor needs work on the clutch, have to wind it out completely before she moves & I definitely am going to want to swap to lower gearing if possible.

I took off the stator cover on the 4 speed 110 motor & found that the starter chain has a LOT of slack, almost enough to pull it off with the gears in place. Doubt that has anything to do with timing on this machine, but it gives me an idea that this motor could use a rebuild. I'm gonna run the CVT motor for a while & go completely through the 4 speed motor since I'm almost positive that it has reverse. Thinking upgraded clutch, big bore, larger cam, more compression. Would like enough power to pull this machine around easier.

W&G, thanks for the video. That's kind of what I had thought, but wasn't exactly sure on gapping. I know removing the flywheel is gonna be fun. Gonna need to buy the special tools for it I guess.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #5

Pullers are cheap and plentiful. The one I have is similar to this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Flywheel-Pull...fbb714&vxp=mtr

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer