Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #16

There's a HF in Bellingham, and we don't have to worry much abour road salt in the Lower Mainland or Fraser Valley.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #17

I really recommend the HF, and with that price difference you could throw it away when the tires wear out and stioll save money!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #18

The HF one actually looks better made than the Home Depot Glavanized ones... I was looking at the Home Depot ones last year and was kind of surprised by the frame when I looked under it. It looked more like metal framing studs than actual channel iron... Just heavy gauge tin bent into a channel shape! At least, that's what it looked like to me. If you google for reviews on the Home Depot ones people don't seem too happy with them. I think they might be overloading them though, but they're bending/breaking stuff. The Canadian Tire trailers looked much better built. Lol, and of course they were more money! :wink:

Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #19

The farm store here is advertising a 5x8 for $529.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #20

Lol, mines made out of an old tent trailer... 4X8 deck and I think I got the wrecked trailer for $50

Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #21

That makes the most sense to me. There's always plenty on CL that is cheap or free, which would give a decent foundation.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #22

Jet ski trailers can easily be converted with a couple rails. Very light weight too.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #23

Mine was an easy conversion too, an afternoon and it was done. Little bit of side grinding to get rid of the overhangs to the side and I later welded a stopper to the front of the deck so that I could put the wheels of bikes against it when I tied them down. I even reused the taillights

Old 04-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #24

kool ideas thanks guys, i'll let ya know when we decide on a route to go.

For now we have a huge 4x4 diesel with a camperette on the back to sleep in and luckily our current bikes (gio x31's) are small enough to fit inside it, we went riding up near Lytton this past weekend below the Monkey Wrench riding area (too snowy up high still) on the lower trails, it was AWESOME!!! but we broke my brothers bike finally,,, the kick starter broke right off..

I'll post about that soon probably, we have to figure out what to do, it either has very low compression or the kick start shaft inside is stripped because you would have to kick it over dozens of times to bring it to life and it was very hesitant, when it goes tho it goes like hell so i figured it must have compression..? I notced tho that when my battery died recently my lifan 200cc engine (mine has a replacement engine) is much harder to kick over and the bike fires up under 5 kicks.

anyways i'll make a thread on that soon for recommendations on how to fix it, but we're gonna buy him a bigger bike in the meantime i think.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #25

What motor is it? I bet the valves just need to be adjusted to restore compression.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #26

Its a gio x31 250cc motor, his bike has a grey camo sceme and I think it had motox decals on it, I think I've read other guys mention tthose versions.

It was advertised as 2011 when we picked it up but I think its an 07 or 08 I think it said on the bike somewhere.

We were thinking to throw a new kickstart lever on it, put a new battery in it (it did work for a few days when we bought it, the vibrations shook the bolts off the battery tho then it just died), we'll also adjust the valves and hopefully we'll be back in business. If not I'll post a thread on it with pics etc. Thanks for the pointer!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #27

Does it start easily when you bump-start it?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #28

No not at all, one time when it popped into gear it dragged the back tire so hard that it ripped the valve stem on the tube (and didnt start, barely sputtered). We thought it was partly because of the tire being low on air but no it doesnt want to start ever really. With enough kicking we would usually bring it to life but it seemed to slowly get worse over time. But if you didnt know that it Does run you would have given up long before bringing it to life, because it just sounds DEAD when you kick it most of the time, not a sound. Then you'll get a little sputter, then we tried turning off the gas and choke on, then kick kick kick then choke off kick kick kick choke on gas back on kick kick kick etc. eventually the thing would come to life but it obviously cant handle getting kicked over that much.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #29

Hmmm... Start by setting the valves, and we'll go from there. You can't diagnose trouble like that until you're sure that you have compression. Have a compression tester?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #30

I don't think so I do have the valve shims now so we can do that part, ill look into a compression tester too.