Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #1

Adios

Well between not using my ATV and needing some money i sold my atv.
I admit the being lucky to make it through a riding session was one factor.
My wife even told me to sell it,because it wasnt any good.I explained how i had an 1989 Honda 250x that never broke once.And she said to buy a japanese quad next time.
While many people seem happy with the gy6 engine.I think of how few amount of hours my buggy had on it and i replaced as lot of parts. Im considering a small cart for my kids.Ive seen them with a lawnmower style engine on the back.I think this would be better than the gy6.
Its sad that in 2013 the chinese cant match thirty year old japanese technology.Dirt bikes from 1973 have more reliable engines and are better built than new chineze stuff.
This is not a hate message,just my view of two chinese vehicles i have owned.
Good luck and have fun.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #2

Sorry to hear that. I have a GY6 in one of my quads, and it hasn't missed a beat. Good luck with whatever you buy next.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

That's weird, of the four chinese engines I've had/have not one of them has ever missed a beat. As a matter of fact my snowblower with the chinese engine (Zongshen based I think) runs much better than my parents big snowblower with a Tecumseh engine .

I had excellent luck with the engines. Did have some grief with the chassis though! :wink:

For the price I paid for them I really can't complain. Biggest benefit was that they got me back into the riding scene, that's priceless in itself!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #4

BOTH of my Zong 239cc engines have blown over the last 2 years and I have religiously maintained them.
YES they were easy to rebuild a twisted piston and a blown clutch pack and oil splash pump.

BUT these both had less than 100 hours of drive time on them before they blew.

NOW my 1999 Yamaha Grizzly 600 with well over 10,000 km purrs along like a kitten and all I have to do is the odd tune up and add a wee bit of oil here and there because the rubber O ring that seals the small panel that covers where the oil filter goes just doesn't fit perfect anymore and I have not gotten a new one for the 1 oz of oil it loses in a 2 hour ride.

I can see where kapie9969 would be frustrated. People expect when they buy something that it will run quite a few years before it starts to need lots of maintenance.
BUT on the same hand he shoukd have done better research and found this is a common issue with some of the chinese ATV's.

I hope he goes and gets another quad, who cares what brand as long as it is dependable and he stays with the sport.

I still have one chinese quad in the stable for now and it does my family what it needs to for now. Will I one day replace it with another Yamaha, probably. I just like Yamahas, they go forever plus I know how to work on them IF I have to.
Speaking of that I ALMOST had a 2001 Yamaha Grizzly 600 for $600 that some idiot had flipped the piston in the cylinder and had no clue how to fix it. I did not have the $$ on me and by the time I got back there with cash in hand 2hrs later it was gone. (Even after the guy promised it to me.) $300 for the piston/ cylinder/ gasket kit and it would have been up and running again. I was going to nob nore it with the 686cc cylinder kit too and make it mine and put my 15yr old on my 600. Crap, well I keep watching Craigslist for those screaming bargins. NEXT time I take cash!!