Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #16

I've been having some issues when the bike is cold with the engine missing or cutting out just off throttle. It goes away once the bike is warm.

I was at my parents house on Sunday and of course as I was leaving my mom was all, "Be careful, ride safe" etc etc. which I usually do. As I was pulling out of their driveway, the engine cut out just briefly, so I gave it a bit more gas to get past the dead spot. The engine caught and the front wheel lifted pretty high. I rode it out to the stop sign at the end of the street.

Sorry, mom, it was an accident! I swear!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #17

My little TW200 does the same thing, and I blame the battery. I stuck a little gel-cell in there, because it was free and I'm cheap. Once the charging system gets ahead of the battery it runs great, but until then it will only idle. I'd go buy a new battery, but my insurance expires in a couple of weeks.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #18

I found this on my local CL thought you might be interested...

http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/3280228669.html

Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to 450-WheelieBoyz
nice ride, thats the motard i wanted to buy for next summer.
i did alot of research on the wr250x vs the drz400sm

im leaning more towards the drz now....for mods, long rides/highway cruising

i still love the wr250x <- it cant be compared to any other 250

ive had three yamaha scooters, rode many yz's....

WHY DIDNT YAMHA MAKE A WR450X !!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #20

The Achille's heel, IMHO, of the DRZ, as a highway bike, is the five speed transmission.

I'd like to see that bike updated with USD forks and a six speed. Maybe a more thorough instrument panel.

Do that and it would go from excellent to awesome!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #21

An interesting read comparing the 250x to a converted WR450F.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...0X-My-analysis

Honestly, the 250x does everything I will ever need it to and more. I was looking at the DRZ, and can get one for about $1k less than the WR. But the WRx just looks and feels so much more... modern? I don't know how to explain it. But the FI was a big seller. The 6 speed is sort of a wash, it is geared with pretty close ratios, but it is nice for highway cruising. The suspension is fantastic. I think on paper the weights are similar, but the WR looks and feels lighter.

My 250 will pull up the front in 1st and 2nd, and cruises quite well at 70 mph. I had it up to about 90 mph yesterday (GPS verified speedohealer on the gauges). My bike came with some really nice mods. The DRZ might have a bit more grunt, but I can get around just fine on the 250, and still get almost 60 mpg.

It might be a personal preference thing, but I am still in love with my WRx.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
The Achille's heel, IMHO, of the DRZ, as a highway bike, is the five speed transmission.

I'd like to see that bike updated with USD forks and a six speed. Maybe a more thorough instrument panel.

Do that and it would go from excellent to awesome!
The DRZSM does have USD forks, but other than that it seems a bit dated. It is really nice to do engine tuning with the push of a button, rather than disassembling carbs to change jets...

Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #23

i think the drz is the best option for me..right now.

i think it would get tricky and expensive to put a YZ450 into the wr250x frame. it would be really really cool but i dont even know if its possible.

many reviews say that the DRZ is a much better bike on the highway compared to the WRX. yes it has the 6st speed, but it doesnt have as much guts behind it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #24

I like that picture!

I didn't know the SM DRZ had USD. I've only ridden the DS and off road versions.

The DRZ is a better highway bike than the WR250, but would be better still with a six speed IMHO.

The WR must weigh at least 40-50 lbs less than the DRZ. :P

EFI is a nice plus to simplify mods, and for large altitude changes. Otherwise a carb works just fine. 8)

I would not want a motocrosser engine in a street bike. WAY POWERFUL (believe me I know :wink: ) but would not have the needed longevity as a high mileage street bike.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #25

Ive visited Philly and Harrisburg on business before.
Much to my disapointment we did not get to see this "Black Sundays" rideouts , ive heard and seen on youtube so much.

Is that really how it is? hundreds of two strokes filling up parks and streets..

I know in Bmore, MA its getting to be a problem.... all the dirt bikes riding the streets

Same thing in Harlem and NYC...

Defenitely gonna do a rod trip down the east coast when i get my motard XD

Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #26

Never heard of this Black Sundays thing. I'm pretty much right in the middle of Philly and Harrisburg. There are some pretty good roads not too far from me, I just don't have the time to explore them anymore.

Not sure why people say the WR250 is not highway capable. Mine pulls really strong from 70 to 80 mph, and other than the unprotected wind blasting you, it is quite comfortable at those speeds. Could be the mods. Any faster and the multitude of police will be sure to slow you down anyway. Mine is geared down a bit, even. I have no trouble keeping up with and passing highway traffic. Maybe coming from the XF200 is a poor comparison, but I think the WR250x is definitely capable of highway riding.

The seat might be another issue, but mine came with a gel insert and is actually pretty comfy. I think the DRZ has a wider seat that might be easier on the backside.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmcd
The seat might be another issue, but mine came with a gel insert and is actually pretty comfy. I think the DRZ has a wider seat that might be easier on the backside.
The DRZ saddle is a torture chamber worthy of the Marquis de Sade. :( Is the WR250 saddle even narrower than the piece of 2X4 substituting for the DRZ saddle? 8O

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #28

It is what it is...

There may be an aftermarket saddle available.

An alternative is to ride my YZ400F for an afternoon. You'd be begging for the comfort of a 2X4.

Teaches a guy to stand up like a proper off road rider!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #29

You can't stand up all day while riding on the street, Doc. Indeed, the police are much more likely to pull you over if they observe you riding on the street while standing. :?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #30

WHHHHAT! you live in PA and you have never heard of black sundays. philly hang gang, throw it up, wildout wheely boys

Heres a treat from your home state of PA

damn these guys are crazy

*sorry spud didnt mean to post non-wrx related posts on your thread.
i just couldnt believe someone that live in PA didnt know or hear about this movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmcd
Never heard of this Black Sundays thing. I'm pretty much right in the middle of Philly and Harrisburg. There are some pretty good roads not too far from me, I just don't have the time to explore them anymore.

Not sure why people say the WR250 is not highway capable. Mine pulls really strong from 70 to 80 mph, and other than the unprotected wind blasting you, it is quite comfortable at those speeds. Could be the mods. Any faster and the multitude of police will be sure to slow you down anyway. Mine is geared down a bit, even. I have no trouble keeping up with and passing highway traffic. Maybe coming from the XF200 is a poor comparison, but I think the WR250x is definitely capable of highway riding.