Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #1

NE Indiana Scooter rider

Hi all, I'm in Ft Wayne, IN and have been riding again for almost two years now. I rode for 13 years in the 70s and 80s and then took a 20 year break since my riding style was.... shall we say very aggressive and overly enthusiastic. I had seen a Hondamatic 400 and decided then that when I started riding again in would be on an auto tranny bike. Less tempting when I can't grab gears and keep it in the powerband.

I have daily reminders now of my mortality, with the stiffness, aches and pains that come with growing older, and one of my big concerns now is safety, particularly that of the many new riders out there that are getting on two wheels for the gas mileage and haven't a clue what they're up against.

I have a scooter safety page on my scooter website, which is and will be an ongoing project for quite some time to come. I started with a QJ 2 stroke scooter a couple years ago, and then bought a Strada150 in the latter half of the summer last year. 70-75mpg is great and I use my scooter much more than my car for at least 8 months of the year... more if the weather cooperates. (Very envious of those of you who live where winters are milder!)

I always planned to ride again and kept my MC endorsement all these years, but gas prices were what made me decide the time was right.... along with the fact that I had a sports coupe which I had owned for several years and I was finally beginning to not drive it as though the throttle was an on/off switch. So I took that as a sign that I was finally growing up and could maybe handle riding again without putting myself in more unnecessary danger than we all are when riding on the streets.

I've also been active on the scootdawg forum and others, for nearly a year now, as well as the forum on my scooter site. I found this forum when ACD mentioned it there or on another forum we are both members of. I'm hoping to eventually get some riders in my area together for rides, as well as provide another place online where people can meet and share rides, reviews, and riding/safety tips and experiences.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #2

Welcome aboard Dennis....

Hope you have a blast.. in Chinariders... good to have some more scooter people...we will certainly gain from your experiences and knowledge..

Have a blast!!

NET

Old 06-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandTrails
Welcome aboard Dennis....

Have a blast!!

NET
I sure am having a blast! Been taking in a LOT more of what's around me in since I've been on scooters than I ever did slicing and dicing through traffic!
Generally nice people in the majority of scooter forums, and chinese bike riders ain't got their noses turned up so far they'd drown in a drizzle, so the china oriented forums seem to be have the most down to earth people!

Old 06-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to sprinxyRider Send a message via AIM to sprinxyRider Send a message via MSN to sprinxyRider Send a message via Yahoo to sprinxyRider
aaw Ft Wayne its been about 6 or 7 years since I been there. I was in Anderson about 3 months ago.

Welcome to the board I too am new. I am a very very new rider... just got my scooter a few weeks ago... and rode 5 miles yay. i did pretty well if I say so myself. or so I hope.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #5

I had seen that you were from IN in your intro, but didn't know where in Indiana. I bought my scooter down in Muncie, and a week later rode it down back down to the "dealer"(145 mi round trip) to have them work on the front turn signals they messed up by pinching wires during assembly. I did that with NO tools along except for the screwdriver and spark plug wrench that came with it.... I'd never do that again, knowing what I know no, but I had no problems.

Ride like they're out to get you... because they are! Always remember that and it'll give you an edge, anyway.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to sprinxyRider Send a message via AIM to sprinxyRider Send a message via MSN to sprinxyRider Send a message via Yahoo to sprinxyRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisD
I had seen that you were from IN in your intro, but didn't know where in Indiana. I bought my scooter down in Muncie, and a week later rode it down back down to the "dealer"(145 mi round trip) to have them work on the front turn signals they messed up by pinching wires during assembly. I did that with NO tools along except for the screwdriver and spark plug wrench that came with it.... I'd never do that again, knowing what I know no, but I had no problems.

Ride like they're out to get you... because they are! Always remember that and it'll give you an edge, anyway.
Muncie gives me nightmares! that is where my bf had his seizure in mid traffic.. bam. anyways... wow what a trip! 145mi. someday I will be able to do that but maybe not on a scooter heh.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:57 AM   #7

Welcome

I am getting back into riding as well, Might be due to a midlife crisis though 8O

Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 AM   #8

I think I quit riding due to mid-life crisis! I thought I was invincible til I was in my early 30s. Having to face my own mortality sorta made me re-evaluate everything!

I looked and the only Loncins I could find that are sold in this country were ATVs. I hope it shares lots of parts with some other makes of chinabikes.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #9

I am happy to ride again, I feel I am older now and wil make smarter choices..Like not going as fast as I can. This bike was cheap and It feels great to get on the road again. It was used when I bought it and after a few short months I am ready to upgrade. It has been a good bike..And I will keep it until it will not move anymore. I am not really sure who makes it but what I could find all pionts to loncin.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #10

Hi DennisD

Welcome to ChinaRiders!! Enjoy the ride!
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net