Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #1

NGK iridium plugs?

Has anyone tried these or is anyone currently running these. Does it really add a couple HP?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #2

I haven't, but I'm tempted to try an E3.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #3

I haven't tried them, but no spark plug in the world can add hp . Moving this thread up to dual sports for you, it'll get more coverage there, and I think this section is pretty much devoted to electric vehicles.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

LMAO

No it will not add any horse power,
and if it get's fowled you have to buy a new 1,

You can't just pull it out and clean it like you can with normal Plugs.

I never run the irridium's

Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

On the topic of spark plugs though, I used to run a platinum plug in my old premix CR125. I might have had my mix too rich (better than too lean!), but it was the only plug that wouldn't foul in the old girl

Old 08-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #6

spark plugs

i have tried the e3 plugs ,both in my zong an harley,,they seem to work well an actually seem to make the harley start slightly better same with the zong an i could swear in my head the zong pulled the hills slightly better,but my ex wife said i aint right in the head , so take it for what its worth,lol

Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #7

Multi-electrode plugs are a gimmick. The spark can only jump across one gap at a time, any more electrodes are just shrouding the spark from the fuel/air mix which defeats the purpose.

If you want to eek out all the performance you can, index your spark plug(s) (google how to if you've never heard of it). It costs almost nothing and just takes a little time.

Re: platinum/iridium/unobtanium/plutonium plugs. The only reason for exotic metals on the electrodes is a longer plug life. On a normal spark plug the electrodes will start to erode (after 10s of thousands of miles), widening the plug gap. Platinum plugs and the like are meant to last 100k+ miles for cars where changing them in a horrible pain. There is absolutely no performance gain from making your electrodes out of some different metal. Also do not run platinum plugs with any fuel that has lead in it (like race gas), platinum and lead to not play well together.

Personally I have never had good luck with bosch platinums in anything. I tried some iridium plugs in a 92 xj600 and they were alright at first. Worked as good as any other plug, but they were not tolerant of my bikes slightly rich condition and fowled quickly. The plug I have consistantly had good luck with was the cheap NGKs. Even the copper ones if you can find them. Copper is actually a better conductor of electricity than steel, platinum, and iridium. The downside is they erode quicker so you'll need to change them more often (not a big deal on a bike and you're paying <$2 for one).

Old 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #8

Hi

I use iridium plugs in all three of my bikes - better starting, tick over and overall running in my view.

I doubt the horsepower claims but there is a Utube video somewhere of a harley on a dyno - run it up check horsepower - change plugs to iridiums and run it up again - a few more HP - it looked genuine although I can not remember what plugs (i.e how gapped and how old) were taken out.

Any way I for one like iridium plugs.

Frog

Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by obso
Multi-electrode plugs are a gimmick. The spark can only jump across one gap at a time, any more electrodes are just shrouding the spark from the fuel/air mix which defeats the purpose.

If you want to eek out all the performance you can, index your spark plug(s) (google how to if you've never heard of it). It costs almost nothing and just takes a little time.

Re: platinum/iridium/unobtanium/plutonium plugs. The only reason for exotic metals on the electrodes is a longer plug life. On a normal spark plug the electrodes will start to erode (after 10s of thousands of miles), widening the plug gap. Platinum plugs and the like are meant to last 100k+ miles for cars where changing them in a horrible pain. There is absolutely no performance gain from making your electrodes out of some different metal. Also do not run platinum plugs with any fuel that has lead in it (like race gas), platinum and lead to not play well together.

Personally I have never had good luck with bosch platinums in anything. I tried some iridium plugs in a 92 xj600 and they were alright at first. Worked as good as any other plug, but they were not tolerant of my bikes slightly rich condition and fowled quickly. The plug I have consistantly had good luck with was the cheap NGKs. Even the copper ones if you can find them. Copper is actually a better conductor of electricity than steel, platinum, and iridium. The downside is they erode quicker so you'll need to change them more often (not a big deal on a bike and you're paying <$2 for one).
Interesting.

Airplane spark plugs usually have a a massive central and two massive ground electrodes. We routinely test them under 80 PSI air pressure in a special box and test fire them. If they are in good shape and gapped correctly, they fire only one electrode at a time, or so it looks. Older plugs sometimes only fire one side or the other, but never both at the same time. I don't think that's possible or likely from a physics point of view.

Iridium plugs for airplanes only have one tiny set of electrodes, and they are VERY expensive. About $80 each. Standard plugs are about $18. Standard plugs, if cared fpr correctly, last about 500 hours. Iridiums last 2,000 hours so the price is close to a wash. The iridiums are supposed to be more resistant to lead fouling but that has not been a factor for me.

No claims are made in the aviation arena for more power, and that seems unlikely to me. :wink:

Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Airplane spark plugs usually have a a massive central and two massive ground electrodes.
That sounds kind of like the NGK R's (I think). I have nothing bad to say about them at all. And I'll buy them when they are out of the cheap ones. The way the electrodes are placed it doesn't shroud the spark at all.

I assume you also don't run platinum plugs in aircraft engines because of the aforementioned lead issue? I was just going off my adventures in force-feeding engines.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #11

I should have also mentioned that my Probt GT Turbo I owned and loved for years did not like iridiums either. Pretty much all in agreement on the Probe forum, WHIW.

I don't know about platinum airplane plugs, only regular (called massive electrode) and fine wire (iridium).

Old 08-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #12

I have an iridium plug in my Q just because it was an impulse buy more than anything else. No problems. Easy starts. Mental massage, most likely.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #13

I like the standard, NGK spark plugs. However, it doesn't hurt to experiment with the iridium plugs; you might really like them.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894