Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Copy that Spud. We sure don't want any mashed potatos.
Thank you, Doc!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #17

Well crap.

The Qlink has PLASTIC lenses, doh!! It looks like a plastic reflector inside too, just coated in an aluminum-like paint. :(

So I guess brighter lights are out.

WTF, the Qlink has terrible lighting at night. Maybe it is just me, or just mine. I wonder if there is any way to adjust the headlight, maybe it is just mis-aligned? :roll:

Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPvFletch
Well crap.

The Qlink has PLASTIC lenses, doh!! It looks like a plastic reflector inside too, just coated in an aluminum-like paint. :(

So I guess brighter lights are out.

WTF, the Qlink has terrible lighting at night. Maybe it is just me, or just mine. I wonder if there is any way to adjust the headlight, maybe it is just mis-aligned? :roll:
Most have the 35/35 watt bulb. Try a 45/45 instead. Should help out some.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #19

Won't melt the plastic?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #20

The Q ALREADY has a 55/60 watt halogen light. Nothing to upgrade here.

The plastic is Lexan which is more than capable of taking the heat.

If your Q is like mine was, you may want to adjust the beam down a bit. That will help a lot, more than any bigger bulb.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #21

And how did you do that exactly? Thanks!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #22

Quote:
The Q ALREADY has a 55/60 watt halogen light. Nothing to upgrade here.

The plastic is Lexan which is more than capable of taking the heat.

If your Q is like mine was, you may want to adjust the beam down a bit. That will help a lot, more than any bigger bulb.
You guys are going to end up spoiled. All the good stuff already added to the bike when you get it. :P

Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #23

I am in the process of adding the most important thing to the Q.

MILEAGE

700 so far, and I've been working 7 days a week since I got it a couple of weeks ago. So not bad considering I've had very little free time.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #24

Spud,
Did you ever do a write up with pics for your LED conversion?
Daddy

Old 10-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy469
Spud,
Did you ever do a write up with pics for your LED conversion?
Daddy
No, I have not written a post regarding my conversion to LED turn signals and indicator lights. However, I have posted a thread regarding my switch to the excellent Edge II LED tail light assembly.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=6877

The conversion to LED turn signals is very straightforward; the main trick is to get a good electronic flasher unit. However, converting the Zong turn signal indicator from an incandescent bulb to an LED is a little trickier. Now that the colder weather has arrived, I will take the time to write a post about my LED conversion.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #26

Been working too much, late reply........

Quote:
Any updates on this yet?

How hard was it to swap the socket, is it just plug and play?
The socket is the easy part. Junk yard and "liberate" one, with wires. Or your handy-dandy autoparts store, as Spud said.
I had to do some grinding (minimal) on the reflector to get the bulb base to easily fit.
Quote:
Spud, can you easily reach behing the numberplate and pull the plug before you head off road?
Ditto that. I have to remove the headlight shell. Takes all of 5 minutes. I did change out those cheesy screws to hex head stainless, so an Allen wrench is all I need.
Quote:
The Qlink has PLASTIC lenses, doh!! It looks like a plastic reflector inside too, just coated in an aluminum-like paint.
Check my posts on this. I have a plastic shell/lens on the GY-5. I went with a 45/45 watt H-4 from Bulbster. No increased heat. I haven't tried a 55/60 watt, yet. And I may not.
I have an 8 inch 55/60 headlight on my MZ Skorpion. Yeah, the light is better, but not that much.
One could change over to an Acerbis or Baja Designs headlight, they already have 55/60 watt bulbs, but they're around $100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
My only remaining question concerns how well the hot halogen bulb will handle the vibration from off-road riding; only time will tell.
I'm got about 7 months on the Bulbster 45/45 watt H-4 (which was much better than the 3 Ba20-D's I replaced the first 6 months I had the bike. Including one night-time blow-out of both filaments 8O ).
That was a daily commute of 26 miles at average 40mph, plus longer rides on my days off. Not much trail riding, though I did several dirt road excursions.
Later,
Bill

Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #27

Quote:
And how did you do that exactly? Thanks!
My XF200 came with a 35w/35w also but I upgraded to dominator style lights. I am running duel 35w/35w in each but I had to elliminate the stock plug as it was overheating. One of the main reasons I changed was because I couldn't adjust the stock ones. I think you might be able to lower the beam by loosening up the top two straps one notch. I know that a guy at mychinamoto is running a 45w with no problems.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 AM   #28

I have now traveled a few more miles with the H4, halogen headlight installed in my Zong. I really enjoy the extra light at night, and the extra visibility during the daytime. In additon to riding on the street, I have also had the chance to ride my bike quite a bit on gravel roads, and rocky mountain trails. The 55W/60W, H4 bulb has endured the vibration very well; it seems to be quite durable. So far, I am very pleased with this conversion.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #29

I believe it is time for another update regarding my H4 headlight. I have ridden many more miles, and traveled over some very rough terrain with the H4 headlight; it is working superbly!

The H4 bulbs are much better constructed than the stock, BA20D bulbs. Therefore, the 55W/60W, H4 bulbs are not only brighter than the 35W/35W, BA20D bulbs, they are also much more durable, and resistant to vibration.

I am much more visible to daytime traffic while riding with the brighter, H4 bulbs. Also, the H4 headlight illuminates the roadway much better than the stock, BA20D headlight. I am very pleased with this simple, inexpensive conversion, and I highly recommend it to others.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #30

H4 conversion - trouble

Howdy, I just converted to the H4 bulb after burning out all my BA20D bulbs. (the low beams kept burning out after only a few weeks) I bought a socket from the auto parts store and an H4 bulb, but after making the conversion-and everything went fine-the low beam doesn't hardly illuminate at all. I can't even see any hint of light while riding at night with the low beam on...that's how weak it is. I have to ride with the Hi beam on. That seems to work ok, but I wouldn't say the Hi beam is working as brightly as it should either. So I thought I'd gotten the two wires switched around...I tried them both ways but I still can't get the light to work properly. There are only three wires to deal with...green to green, and then the other two (one for low, one for hi beam).

At first I thought it was just the cheaper H4 bulb (which at $10 isn't cheap at all) so I tried the next better grade--Sylvania'a XtraVision 9003/HB2 H4 series bulbs (which at Walmart they're around $19 for a twin pack). Same thing....little to no low beam, satisfactory hi beam (which isn't really a hi beam, more like a proper low beam).

I did not have any problems with the BA20D setup. When I replaced the burnt out bulbs, the new bulbs worked fine both low and hi beams. (the low beams just won't last...I constantly switch between low and hi beams while riding at night as the low beam simply doesn't illuminate the road very well) But the H4 for some reason isn't working out. I haven't figured out yet what the problem is. I just charged the battery two weeks ago, so I don't think that's the issue since the BA20D's were working perfectly. If it's not the bulb or the wiring, then what?? Any ideas? Thx