Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #241

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
OK it look way coool, nows it's time to start riding it, beleve me there will be a endless list of new things to do to it.But it's all fun if you like the ride. Oh and stuff for fixing new car bumpers should work on the tank. try a auto body supply store.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #242

Yes, there will always be things that I want to do to the Viva. It was cheap enough that I can afford to mod it. The shock mounts are not finished. I ran out of paint and they are not the way I want them. They are just mocked into place for now. This winter I will strip the bike and rebuild the frame. It's crappy and the welds are weak. The tail ended up sitting too high so, I will fix the mounts and make the back a bit lower when I do that. The top mount needs to be boxed, it's already bent but it's safe to ride with. The shock could be a little stiffer too! For now, I am tired of working on it. I wanna ride! Of course, I need to fix the tank or get a new one before that can happen!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I think it looks great too! It turned out much better than I had hoped for but you haven't really seen anything yet. I have more plans for it. After I rebuild the frame I want to powercoat it electric (Pacific) blue and install a new better headlight. pumpkin just did an H4 conversion and that's next on my list now. After the tank!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 06-14-2007, 04:03 AM   #243

Next Mods!

As I posted in my other thread, a new Hi-Bird tank has been ordered from Tom at RPM. It's bit different from the Viva tank and I don't think I will be able to access the fuel valve from the riding position. My thought is to cut a hole in the tank cover so I can turn the valve to reserve on the fly. For safety reasons, I think this is the best solution. I need to be able to reach that valve.

After I replace the fuel tank, my next plan is to streamline some of the wiring and try to find a new headlight. I don't want to have bulb issues, so I'll change that unit out. I'm searching for a headlight now. The stock headlight is the only thing vibrating on the bike when I ride it. In the picture below you can see that the headlight is sticking way out there in the wind. The headlight and it's heavy mounting brackets must go! The steering lock will also be removed as I don't need it either. When the headlight goes I may try a digital gauge unit from Trail Tech. It's an electronic unit that will enable me to remove the speedometer cable and the factory gauges. During my first ride, I noticed that the odometer does not display the correct mileage. If it doesn't work correctly I simply don't need it or want it on the bike. The front fender, beeping winkers and the dual horns will also be replaced. I have a complete Buell wiring harness and all the electronics from my old S1W.

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 06-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #244

I'm surprised you still have the skidplate, kickstart, and passenger footpegs and brackets. Bike still looks great though.

I would consider just putting the petcock on reserve and leave it. I just watch my miles and fill up again when I get to around 115miles cause at about 120miles I'm out of gas. Plus, these valves are cheap and won't last long going back and forth from reserve.

I'd be interested in what you come up with on the headlight. I haven't seen many economical solutions that are as good as just replacing the bulb with a 45W BA20D type.

Keep up the good work.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #245

I'm not sure I'll come up with an economical solution for replacing the headlight. Hopefully, I'll just come up with a solution. Baja Designs makes a great headlight but it's $400 or so.

Putting the tank on reserve is a good idea. Gee, didn't really think about doing that :oops: I usually turn it off when I'm not riding, so I'll still be turning the valve at some point.

I've thought about removing all the stuff you mentioned but I'd like to keep all of it. The steel skidplate could get the axe, if I decide to make one out of aluminum myself. I may add removable passenger footpegs from a GY-5. The stock brackets could easily be cut off. That's something for next winter.

Thanks for the tips!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 06-14-2007, 10:33 PM   #246

[quote= thinking it was a better bike because of the american part of the name[/quote]

:roll:

Old 06-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #247

Re: Next Mods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
The stock headlight is the only thing vibrating on the bike when I ride it. The headlight and it's heavy mounting brackets must go!
Rode at night last night for the first time. My light was suprisingly bright. Local bike shop seems to have no problem getting bulbs for me.(haven't done headlight bulb yet) Mid revs causes light to vib. Sounds like my keys rattling on handle bars but way louder. I have grabbed my keys while riding hundreds of times to see if the noise would stop. Where the light brackets on to the fork is not right, but it can't fall off. Eventually I want to get an old chrome bubble light, but for now just glad that it serves it's purpose. Shocked that the vib hasn't broken the filiment in the bulb. This bike keeps happily suprising me.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #248

I have found replacement bulbs at denniskirk.com and fatboy added them to the cross reference list. The have 35,45, and 60 watt bulbs.

Allen

Old 06-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #249

I saw where Fatboy added the bulb information. Personally, I just don't like the headlight or it's placement on the bike. It's hung way out there in front of the bike and shakes all over the place. The buzzing and vibrating bothers me. My engine doesn't seem to be shaking much at all but that light is a different story. I pulled out my Dennis Kirk catalog lastnight and looked through it. They have a couple of nice lights that would work well on the Viva. I may just go ahead and order one.

Fatboy has me thinking about those footpegs and skidplate now! :roll:
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 06-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #250

I don't care much for the stock light either, but it functions for now. I discovered the bulb by looking at the UFO lights on denniskirk and some of them use the same bulb.

A tighter fitting assembly would be nice.

Allen

Old 06-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #251

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
Hey Sam...I agree, the odo in km is a pain. Divide by 1.6 to get miles.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #252

1 km = 0.621371192 miles I think?

Old 06-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfunmotorsport
1 km = 0.621371192 miles I think?
Yes and I just multiply my odo reading by .62 to get miles. I am nerd and carry a calculator with me.

Allen

Old 06-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
I saw where Fatboy added the bulb information. Personally, I just don't like the headlight or it's placement on the bike. It's hung way out there in front of the bike and shakes all over the place. The buzzing and vibrating bothers me. My engine doesn't seem to be shaking much at all but that light is a different story. I pulled out my Dennis Kirk catalog lastnight and looked through it. They have a couple of nice lights that would work well on the Viva. I may just go ahead and order one.

Fatboy has me thinking about those footpegs and skidplate now! :roll:
Did your headlight come with rubber mounting grommets? Mine did and the vibration is almost none existent.
Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 06-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #255

I really only have one complaint about the light. It doesn't come on till the motor is running. I may use the battery mod suggested somewhere else for that. It really isn't all that bad to use at night. I can see about as far as I can with the Honda.

Mine came with 3 rubber mounts one on each side and one in the middle bottom and doesn't bounce much.